1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. kastuul

kastuul Member

McHale's game is so predictable but his rotation is so confusing.

Even the players isn't comfortable.

2. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

The sad fact is that they don't have post up skills unless your going to play Dmo.

3. Billionzz

I don'y know that the offense is a gimmick because I think they are just trying to play uptempo like SA but I agree with you 100% that it is to predictable.

Once the first team figured out how to stop us on this losing streak every other team just did the same thing and it doesn't seem like coaching staff knows what to do.

4. carayip

carayip Member

It's like SAS except SAS have big men who can set solid screens in a pick and roll and can shoot in a pick and pop, have far better and more 3 point shooters on their roster, they also occasionally run post plays in half court and have a post player or 2 with post moves who could draw a double team and their PG is actually instructed to run the pick and roll and shoot the mid range jumper instead of waiting for a spot up 3. Yeah except all these, the Rockets' offense is really SAS like lol.

1 person likes this.
  5. Billionzz

I said they were trying to play uptempo like SA not running their offense, smart ass.

6. brick

brick Member

I guess we had a homemade system and we only need someone on the same page to help develop it. And we are seeing similar results more than one season for different teams.

7. carayip

carayip Member

Playing uptempo is only fine like SAS if you had a 12 men rotation like them and occasionally rest key players.

8. brick

brick Member

After two seasons we may wake up to the fact that there is no system that can take a shortcut to wins without a full set of offensive skills.

9. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

The thing that baffles me is how McHale who played with a BIG frontcourt, played like a true big man, is so in favour of using small lineups?? Smith might be foul prone but play the man, let him develop and work on his post moves. Same with the other power forwards because now we have no rebounding, no inside threat and though Pat & Morris is soft, you can only try to see what D-Mo, Smith and Jones can do if given (more) minutes.

10. larry cook

larry cook Member

I don't see how he justifies sending t.jones to the d league because hes a rookie when hes has beverly out there who we just picked up a few weeks ago. Tj works hard and balled out in the summer league, we know he has talent why won't he give a guy we drafted in the first round with a college championship pedigree a shot. I dont' get it... the guy also fills the void were hurting at the most. Doesn't Mchale see anthony davis ballin, dude contributes, guess who was on the side of him doing all the dirty work in Kentucky.. Mr. TJ!

11. brick

brick Member

I think McHale is great if he is given a talented big man to coach into McHale number 2. But I don't think he is good in coaching a team. When he was hired he didn't have a good track record in coaching, so he might completely buy into our homemade system thinking it was a winning formula, which was completely different from his experience when he was a player.

12. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

McHale was a great player. As a coach and gm, he is terrible.
    Which was why the decision to hire him by our high iq gm was baffling.
    When I heard we hired him, i assumed we were definitely committing to tanking full time.
    Many great players are terrible at coaching/gm duties.
    Just cos you know something doesnt mean you know how to teach it

13. formido

formido Member

Don't know if this has been posted in this thread but:

Lin:

“I think everyone’s trying to do the right thing,” Lin said. “It’s not working for us. Defenses are reading our stuff. We’re not getting the stops and rebounds we need to get.”

"Defenses are reading our stuff."

Whereas McHale (and management, presumably, since this offensive system is mandated from Morey on down) think they just need a "spark". No, the problem is is mechanical, not spiritual.

Everyone is only taking layups and three pointers. Everyone's spacing the floor and staying outside the three point line. And it's not working.

The problem is that Morey got in the bit in his mouth about how valuable layups and 3 pointers are and doesn't understand you can't only live on that. Cake is delicious but you can't only eat cake. Fastballs are deadly but you have to throw change-ups regularly too.

Someone like D'Antoni has been preaching the value of lay-ups and three pointers forever. He was the first one to really preach it and usher in the new era, with teams like SAS running his system now. But, Phoenix took mid range jumpers! Nash did plenty. San Antonio does.

Knowing which shots are high value should be an EMPHASIS not a black-and-white restriction. And you don't rely on just telling the players to make it so. You run a freaking offense that emphasizes high value shots. You don't just throw out a ball and say, hey, guys, only shoot here and here.

14. brick

brick Member

Well said ! If your opponent knows you only take certain types of shots, the defensive effort will focus on these shots and make them much less efficient than their statistical average.

15. brick

brick Member

Knowing the layups and 3 pointers are statistically efficient actually doesn't help very much in an individual game. In any given game, the more efficient shots are those the defense allows you and you also feel confident to take.

16. Steal&Deal

Steal&Deal Member

A new coach who stresses defense is needed & Harden needs to stop playing PG

17. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

It will be even more of a disaster if Sampson takes over.

18. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Complex offensive sets?

Why not start with the basics? More properly set PNRs. Better post plays.

One thing that has been really puzzling me is that McHale is A Hall of Fame player who was famous for his post plays, how come our power forwards are still so weak? He should have more to teach them than the other positions.

What about better defense? I will bet if our players just do a little bit better in defense, everything will be changed and we will be winning happily again.

Besides blaming it on individual players, I have not seen any improvement on TEAM defense. Please give me some details if you think there is.

19. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

We actually have 7 back-to-backs for January.

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Dude, you don't have to make a new post for each reply to a comment, not when they end up being several posts in a row. It's not cool. You've heard this before.