1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. WNBA

WNBA Member

iso or no offense.

bad coaching.

2. Outlier

Outlier Member

A-freaking-men. It's easy to be an internet coach. :rolleyes:

3. munco

munco Member

For those that actually think McHale is a good coach, please tell us what he does well? There's a laundry list of things he's done badly that we've pointed out in this thread.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The team is above .50 and playing well, rebounds well, moving the ball above average well
    If we can get Defense going, then we are practically set.

5. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Oh idk, maybe coach the best offense in the league.[​IMG]

6. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

Would rep if I could. Excellent analysis. You were spot on. How did you know I wanted our coach to be able to time travel? Awesome! I guess it was igorant of me to criticize any coach because coaches always make the right decisions. Anybody who reads this, please do not EVER criticize a coach's decision! It's unheard of to do. I was the first person to ever to do it and for that I apologize.

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

He's just saying it's easier to say things in hindsight as a fan than it is to make in-game decisions as a coach. :rolleyes:

8. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

True, but because things are easier to say after hindsight are we not allowed to point it out? On a serious note...go back and watch the game when the Spurs made their little run in the 4th and keep your eyes on Cole. He has barely played with the team and he made a series of huge errors, which is understandable. I'm not putting this loss all on him at all. All I said was that Asik should have been put in earlier for defense and rebounding in the 4th quarter and I stand by that. Cole just looked totally out of sync with the rest of the players and made really bad defensive rotations among other things. Coaches ie. Samspson has admitted errors in judgement especially rotation decisions.

9. jacky c

jacky c Member

Thats the game you really want somebody to show up, not only the players but the coaches.

If you are an old school coach and wanna make everybody on the court accounts for his performance, I am perfectly fine with sitting anybody like Lin on the bench when he performed bad. Thats perfectly justified.

But after a terrible performance last night, Aldrich got his minutes again with significant negative effect to the game AGAIN. 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, 0 steals, 0 blocks, 3 PF, 4 TOs. But still get 2nd /3 rd chance in the very same match. You may agrue thats no point not playing him in garbage time. But here's the point, HE contributed a lot to the reason we resulted in a blowout AND he's not even in our future plan, why not DMO?or somebody else may deserve more minutes like Smith?

It's the time you questioned the consistency of your coach, it's the time your players questioned themselves with "what have i done to deserve more minutes on the bench than somebody who's obviously didn't have a clue out there". Young players suffered a lot from that.

I just think, McHale is really like a father to the players sometimes, but he's so inexperienced that he just made some questionable rotation decisions that put the team spirit into peril. Come on, we don't want the good chemistry gone due to coaches, our players are inexperienced like white paper, you can write anything on them. You really don't want to ruin them even you are not intentional to.

I'll support McHale IF he's already having 3 full seasons experience+ cause our players only averaging 1.9 years. He's a good character with a father like influence, but he's just too inexperienced. But, if rockets didn't want to push for a playoff spot yet, he'll be just fine.

10. trowa2

trowa2 Member

mchale is trying to develop aldrich but would put lin on the bench anytime lin does something bad. mchale doesnt like lin, fire him or trade lin for someone he wants.

11. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

McHale is just goddam awful. He has no clue about his own personnel, he clearly overvalues some and undervalues others. I'll let you guess who is who. HS in game management with timeouts and substitutions, don't get me started.

This team is above 500 in spite of McHale not because of him. Ppl really need to understand that.

12. jacky c

jacky c Member

Experienced coach would like to develop rookies and inexperience players in garbage time. But not the time Rockets are catching up Thunder 50 vs 52. He then made several bad plays to stop our chasing and blow out from that turning point. No wonder why we lost our run that quick in 1Q, just watched the substitutions. While many coaches seemed to keep hot hand/good performance players on the court, McHale likes to do the opposite. Noticed it more than 5,6 times this season. For example, Lin is not doing well in Minny in 1Q, while it's good news cause he used to play Lin half 1Q, then Harden whole 1Q , then Lin first half 2Q, then both. But, he just used him the entire 1Q, not good to the team's rhythm. Today's another good example, Lin sit while we having a run with 6 points, then it evaporated the moment Doug played.

I still think McHale isn't personal to any players, but it's his experience that made him like to trial and error which is not so good to inexperience players.

13. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

To add to what you said he also:
    Has the team running in transition on those boards. Also we are leading the L in scoring. He has been thrown a new roster, and had a daughter pass.
    He's doing fine, and like last year has them playing above what we thougt. No one would have said we have the best scoring back court in the L at the beg. Of the season.

This team is running n gunning as well pretty darn good. Asik has grown under Mchale.
    These to add to yours for that guy asking what has he done. Good point on "Internet coach."

14. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

McHale is going to end up winning coach of the year.

15. conquistador#11

I think coach has to wrap some soap in a sock and hit our guard r0tation in the stomach while they sleep for never guarding the pick and roll correctly. But man can duncan and ibaka set screens.

16. art

art Member

bring back jvg
    the lil general avery is avail...

17. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I thought the Rockets is playing better than most people expected, which means the coach is doing a decent job, right?

18. Outlier

Outlier Member

Why the hell would anyone want that coach that got fired in Brooklyn... Grass is greener on the other side, ain't it Clutchfans?

19. rock34

rock34 Member

I think that when he first got hired Murray said that more than just a coach they where looking for a leader of Men. This is just my opinion but I believe he is an excellent leader. He seems to have a no nonsense, grind it out, find a way to get it done kind of attitude, that I want these young players to be programmed with.

He may lack some in the X and O's department but it is very difficult to have a complete coach. There simply just aren't many out there and off the top of my head the only ones that come to mind are Pops and Phil.

He is perfect for this team now. Let's not loose focus, they are overperforming but they are still rebuilding and learning. They are far from Championship contention!

If they get there and how fast they get there will be because of the tough minded attitude he is rubbing off on them now. Royce White could learn a lot from this guy if he ever made it on the team.

And lastly, I believe he is still a relatively young coach. He is still learning being only in his second full season as coach. If he continues to progress they he might one day turn into that complete coach we all are hoping for.:grin:

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

aldrich playing heavy minutes the last 2 games is a real headscratcher.