1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Hrock

Hrock Rookie

I thought he outcoached Scotty in the playoffs last year, but it's like completely different last night.

2. JLOBABYDADDY

JLOBABYDADDY Member

I am now officially a converted believer. It's coaching. We have no X's & O's. Our three plays are give it to Harden and get out the way, give it to Dwight and get out the way, or shoot a 3. That gets predictable. This was unfortunately a preview of the playoffs on this course.

3. Yellow

Yellow Member

I like McHale as a person, but it seems he doesn't have the personality to be a good coach. He gets frustrated easily by mistakes and when it's time for a few good plays and we're down, like in that gif, he just figures: do whatever you want. He takes zero responsibility, much like Adelman who also had the habit of saying 'this team, these guys, this group' instead of my, mine or we! That's why Rick wouldn't do much better. We need a guy who owns up to mistakes, like JVG.

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He outcoached Scotty Brooks in one game last year. Game 2. After that, it was a draw at best. Brooks did make the boneheaded move of going to Hack Asik in Game 5, but McFail deserves zero credit for that. Brooks was just being a dumbass and acting desperate.

5. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Please fire McFail, please...........

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LMAO

Finally a few delusional posters are coming to realize that McHale is an awful coach for this team. But we still have the McHale apologists.

19 points in a half with 2 best players at their positions. An all time record low

And to think that i got so much stick for starting this thread way back when I saw this unfolding even back then.....

7. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

When I hire people for my businesses, here is the test that I ask myself:

"If I put this candidate in a dark room with another person, and put a ball in the room, who comes out of the room with the ball?"

In other words, who is going to scrap and fight and do what it takes to overcome the competition? Who has the fire inside of them and the competitive spirit to succeed?

Howard and Harden do not -- they strike me as complacent. Harden strikes me as a pothead/drunk who only cares when he wants to. Lin? Sometimes he has the fire. Parsons -- I would say he does. Terrence Jones, yes. Kevin McHale? No. If Tom Thibodeau or Greg Popovich were coaching this team, we'd have the fire.

8. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

What's Thibodeau's situation in Chicago? Heard there was some tension going on there while back. If he were let go, he would be the perfect candidate for our next HC.

Next option is that grumpy old man who is a former Rox head coach and now a TV analyst.

9. count_dough-ku

I would assume Thibodeau will want out of Chi-Town soon if not already. That team looks like it's blowing up their roster and going into rebuilding mode. Ironically, McFail would be a great fit for an organization looking to not win.

I'd still rather have Karl or JVG(or his bro). But fact of the matter is, there are any number of candidates out there who would be a massive improvement over what we currently have.

10. htown1984

htown1984 Member

We need to go after Stan Van Gundy

11. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Any defensive coach will be better fit in this team than McHale
    We need hard nose defense. If this team's defense is improving 50%,this team's offense can improve 100%.
    This team has too many gift players, but nobody can be put in his best position

12. imaginedragons

And we haven't even gotten around to defense yet.

People getting lost on D almost all the time. The OKC bigs were having a field day in the 10-12 foot area around the basket because we could not make the simple adjustment to change defenses against a team without any post-up bigs.

If anyone read the recent SI article delving into the Ray Allen 3 pointer in Game 6 vs the Spurs, you would see that San Antonio really has specific situational plays versus PNRs and varies depending on the team they are defending, and the personnel running the PNR. We are at the midpoint of the season and it seems that the players all play it by ear versus the PNR. Reggie Jackson and Derek Fisher had a gazillion picks set for them tonight and majority of the time, both the big and the PG did not know what to do as evidenced by the different ways they defended it each time.

This was a regular season game and adjustments would have been simple. In the playoffs, moves and countermoves go to a whole different level. Just focusing on "stickiness" or "going with the hot group or hot hand" just will not cut it.

13. MisterMister

MisterMister Member

I'm done

Know Les Don't like to fire coaches during the season,but why do fans have to endure this.Today I feel shame.Time to cut cord.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Bottom line is when D's tighten up as will be the case come playoff time or against good teams McHale's gimmick offense will not work as was evident last night. He is incapable to run simple plays to get a basket. He is not an X's and O's coach.

And this is just the offense. I'm not even going to talk about the D or lackthereof

15. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It will take a loss in the first round for Morey and Les to consider dropping McHale. The players love him and only by being embarrassed in the playoffs will the players be ok with letting McHale go.

Hold on tight guys. We have a ways to go.

16. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I think you have to look at next coach from Morey's perspective. Though he just signed an extension for the next four years, his GM tenure beyond that is riding with the next HC hiring. He absolutely needs a defensive minded coach. For the last decade, no team had ever won with a mediocre defensive team. If I have to guess, Karl is not a candidate Morey would gamble his future on.

Both of Van Gundy brothers and Thib are more logical choice and proven that they can coach a team to play top level defense.

17. count_dough-ku

Les may want to fire McFail for all we know, but what if no one outside the organization(at least no big name coach) wants to take over the team midseason? I want McFail gone, but not if it means handing the reigns over to Kelvin Sampson.

Plus for all the team's problems, they're still 11 games over .500. I'm not saying I'm happy with that and I do think they're headed for another first round knockout, but unfortunately we likely have to ride this out and actually allow McFail to fail.

18. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Yup...and as inconsistent as we are and Mchale's lack of an actual playbook, I am not confident in beating anybody in the first round.

I am so f'n tired of all Houston sports teams going full r****d with their coaching choices.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I even had one of the McHale apologists neg-rep me for lambasting the guy (probably jtr; I just don't get that guy's McHale-love).

McHale the man? Mensch.

McHale the player? Hall of Fame.

McHale the coach? Excuse me, I have to go pinch a loaf.

20. count_dough-ku

If defense is your #1 priority, I agree that Jeff Van Gundy or Thib would be great hires. But what I like about Karl is that his teams play good D and can be fun to watch. I know his Sonics teams used to abuse us, but their defense led to a lot of entertaining fast breaks. This team has lots of athletes who would get a ton of easy baskets if only they had a competent head coach who implemented an actual defensive scheme.