1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Hire Casey!
    U guys can see the Toromto's defensive system
    If Toronto can get one superstar, then Toronto team can compete champion

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Really nice. I love your effort and determination. Reminds me of me. Being a ones and zeros guy I would guess it is the programmatic truncation of the floating point calculations that yields the error. OK, I am on my second scotch, but it looks like the maximum error is 0.01701%. Absolutely a great job at sewing up the loose ends guy.

3. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

"Coaches can talk until they are blue in the face and it may make no difference."

"If I was the head coach of the HEAT they would still be competing for the chip."

4. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

I am a Curious George by nature. When I saw the huge difference in plays, I just could help myself being....curious. LOL

That 267 extra plays was eye popping. The TO and offensive rebounds only accounted for 152, and for the life of me, I couldn't figure out where the other 115 plays came from.

5. Hmm

Hmm Member

I notice you didn't bother to address the "show little to no improvement" line in my post... I have no problem with analytics, and don't dismiss the portion of the game that can obviously be calculated.... I do, however, take exception to the idea that it can be applied to what cannot be... There's a very human element to sports people these days seem to overlook... Same type of individual that seems to forget why we even have sports to begin with, and why humanity bothers to give them any importance, let alone document them for historical record...

We'll see what your stance adds up to at the end of the season - because there is a bigger goal than achieving sound numbers in sports - if established self-defeating patterns with this team, and the contributing human factors that sustain them continue unchanged and unabated...

6. dantian

dantian Member

Which NBA team has a worse coach than McHale? The rookie coaches Brian Shaw and Hornecack are all strictly better.

7. dantian

dantian Member

This is exactly the question those McHale apologists avoid to talk about. Regular season success does not necessarily transform into playoff success. Given the offense being so predictable and defense average at best, where do you get confidence that this team would be more than a first round fodder!

8. tonman

tonman Member

I don't know the answer but a question. what about free throws? do those counts as plays? Houston shoots a lot of free throws so all those Hack-a-Howard are those counted?

9. Karolik

Karolik Member

McHale makes me sad but unlike most clueless fans I know if he is removed it won't be until the season is over so there is no point in crying every game about his incompetence at coaching. Since that is the case and coaching can't be helped you should be complaining for players to improve and adjust which can be controlled

10. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Unfortunately it's true. The only way to remove him in the middle of the season is to "promote" McHale to a FO position. Still very unlikely...

I just hope nothing disastrous happens, such as a major injury due to extra wear and tear on Harden or Parsons. Especially for Parsons...he hasn't gotten paid yet.

A play is defined by mysynergy.com as "ends in FGA, TO, or FTs." All FTs count as plays.

There are extra 267 plays for our opponents. The difference in offensive rebounds accounted for 50 of those plays. Where did the rest of extra plays come from? Something isn't adding up correctly from synergy stats.

Rep anyone who can figure this out...

11. Hibrido

Hibrido Member

I think we should keep McHale. He is still learning but has a positive win loss record.

Look at our record against perennial Atlantic powerhouse teams like the Knicks. They can't buy a win against us since McHale took over. That is the sign of a great coach.

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Rockets would probably lose to the Kings in a playoff series under McHale.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We are lucky the Kings won't make the playoffs for the predictable future

14. imaginedragons

according to JTR, it's 95% because of the talented players, Toronto must be super talented.

15. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

You're being sarcastic, aren't you?

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

The Knicks just beat Popovich and Carlisle.

Mike Woodson > McHale > Pop > Carlisle

17. Play07

Play07 Member

I actually think mchale is a good coach, every year we have improved, look at last year we were the youngest team in the NBA, had both of our PFs traded, we had the fast breaks going, ppat knocking down 3s and jumpers like clock work off of well-organized plays, before he was traded, we had one of the best offenses, one of the funnest teams to watch other than okc & heat in the NBA,. We were actually almost 6th seed without the breakdown at the end of the year with the lost to suns, grizzlies, lakers etc we went started to go into more ISO. He was a big part of HARDENS SUPERSTAR success that all rockets fans LOVE

playoffs- people say mchale cant make adjustments, welllllll in playoffs he did against OKC we almost sent that series to a game 7, I was at game 6th and in that 3rd quarter when garcia was knocking down 3s the ball was moving were up 10-12 we looked great I knew for sure we were coming out with a Win. Then the ball got sticky in the 4th and okc went on a run. “Wasn’t really mchales fault” our star tried to take over and that’s what happens all around the league sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.

this year- mchale has done everything in his power to accommodate Howard into this offense. That changed everything. He had to basically switch everything up & truth is Howard hasn’t been consistent as of now. “That’s not mchales fault “ Then we have another STAR we have to accommodate also so one thing you can say at least he is trying.

bench morey - we have one of the weakest bench’s in the league because morey had to get vet. min contracts because he needed that money to sign howard, and he traded good bench players last year to make room for howards contract. Hes forced to play parsons, harden so many mins because who else is hje goping to put in ? morey went out and got 3 pgs,went to russia for bev, made his case for brooks, then he has a 2nd round pick what does he do ????? another PG! but gets brewer and no solid backups for harden and parsons, “BLAME MOREY” not mchale.

so what McHale’s been given with, trades, vet min contracts, injuries, changing his whole offense for howard, I would give him a B-, only reason not a B is because he his lack of play calling out of a timeout.

RANT OVER

1 person likes this.
  18. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

Improved every year? He's only been here a little more than 2! THe improvement only came with improved talent, not coaching.

The offense hasnt really changed all that much with Howard. He runs PnR about the same as Asik did, only difference is they'l throw it to the post a dozen times a game. Otherwise it's largely the same, Harden iso, PnR, motion offense with Chandler/Lin slashing towards the bucket and spotting up.

What does he actually do? He rarely if ever draws plays, set up the defense, make subs that go beyond " my guy told me this, i liked his energy." Larry Bird pretty much said McHales training camp routine was going from Miller to Miller Lite.

1 person likes this.
  19. Play07

Play07 Member

you lost me with
    1. howard runs pick & roll just the same as asik did
    2. and our offense has changed much with howard, like we were throwing the ball into the post 10+ times last year and watching our center go to work

20. Zergling

Zergling Member

Would love to have JVG, SVG, or Tom Thibodeau next year. Thibs has to be pissed the Bulls are rebuilding and just traded his favorite player Deng.

I wonder if Morey would be interested in trading for him.

1 person likes this.