1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Would you explain to me the average CF readers coach evaluation process? I truly have no clue. By my metrics McHale is doing a fine job:

1: In his first year he took about the same squad as Adelman the prior year (with more talent at the 5 and the two starting guards injured for much of the season) to about the same win % as the previous year under Rick.

2: Last season the LV over under for the Rockets was 35 games. As you and I both know, the Vegas odds are the best predictor of wins available. That squad won 45 games and made the playoffs.

3: This season, despite numerous small injuries and a complete no show from Asik (the Rockets third most talented player) the Rockets are in the fifth spot in the WC and have the seventh best record in the NBA.

Thanks

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

jtr - you and I are not going to agree on McHale - I am less than impressed with him as a coach.

He lacks attention to detail, accountability for his players, and a seemingly poor playbook.

I think he is a fine person - but is more like Mack Brown - a CEO style of coach - who is not all that detail oriented.

IMHO - this team would benefit from a coach like JVG - someone that would have a much better plan of action and the team better prepared on a nightly basis.

If you think otherwise, fine by me, I believe he will hold this team back, at the end of the day.

DD

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This^

4. bws

bws Member

well stated. Disagree with you about Lin but close to my thoughts exactly on McHale.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Uh, you spent 2 straight years screaming for JVG to be fired because you hated his coaching style.

But I do agree on McHale being average at best

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I think that just highlights how bad he thinks Mchale is, lol. JVG is at the very least a REAL coach.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would thought too that folks want JVG fired. Maybe you combine Adelman/JVG and McHale's charisma into one.

8. bws

bws Member

The only way McHale gets fired is if Dwight starts moaning and groaning about him. There's no justification to fire him if the team has a good record. Although Hollins got fired.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Thanks DD. It is obviously the dreaded eye test yet again. Not something I work with. And do you really want JVG in charge of Harden and Lin? Sounds like the perfect way to ruin the third best offense in the NBA.

10. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

Using your own logic, 1,2, and 3 is despite the coach. You can coach them yourself and the result will be the same. :grin:

1 person likes this.
  11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

How you can logically reach that conclusion is beyond me.

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LMAO! Repped

13. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Rockets have a fat ZERO chance of reaching the Finals with below average defense. You can look up but I don't believe any team outside of top 10 in defense made it to the Finals in the last decade. However, teams had reached Finals with below average in offensive. ('04, '05 Pistons and '10 Celtic) It's not a myth that defense wins championships.

Dwight with a bunch of 'nobodys' in Orlando were among the top of league in defense under SVG, but Rockets with Dwight have a defensive ranking of #18, the same crappy ranking as last year.

A defensive minded JVG will significantly improve our chances.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I believe in fit for certain styles of coaches - JVG would be the perfect FIT for a young team that has talent and lacks a true leader.

He would be awesome here, Rudy T would be the best, but I think he is done with coaching.

LOL - it is exactly what you work with - as does everyone else.

Offense is 3rd best - but what is the defense? There are two sides to this equation and offense is only half of that.

DD

#5794 DaDakota, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

If I remember correctly the Rockets offense is 3rd at 0.98 PPP and the Rockets defense is 8th at 0.88 PPP. There are some obvious issues with the defense such as the lack of proper rotations, the inability to play with a rim protector in Howard as opposed to a paint protector in Asik, and blocking out on the defensive glass, but there is nothing to indicate that a healthy Rockets team cannot make a deep playoff run.

16. houtown

houtown Member

I think JVG is an overrated coach. He hasnt proved he could coach superstar, in fact, i dont think he coached tmac and yao as good as he could.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This is partly true he is an upgrade over Mchale. I would perfer Karl.

18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Really, you think this team can make a deep playoff run, as it stands?

Wow - are we far apart, this team is first round fodder at best.

DD

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It depends on who we get, if it's Phoenix or GSW I like our chances.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I literally fell out of my chair when I read this. You were in the vanguard of the year long crusade to rid this franchise of JVG when he was the coach. Day after day the GARM was inundated with post after post after post after post screaming your absolute disdain for JVG. You simply couldn't wait to run him and his boring-a$$ style of basketball out of town. Well you got your wish - you now have Coach Zero running the show only NOW, you have come to appreciate JVG's emphasis on playing defense? The irony is beyond belief...

1 person likes this.