1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

No one stroked your ego lately? Please list all your personal accomplishments for those who might've missed it the first time.

You are probably the only one in GARM who can't smell the rot.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Never mind.

DD

3. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

JTR is a quality poster who brings a lot of people could learn off, his research into statistical posts is a high standard compared to most and his opinions are often well thought out.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

If you really want a challenge see

http://www.kaggle.com/competitions

I compete in one or two a year. They are 50 hours a week for months each. I have never placed, but I do come in about average. Given that the competition is dominated by University teams featuring PhDs I feel that I am OK. Gigabytes of data, forests of data structures, optimized math libraries ...

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In between couple of good posts he posts some of the most offensive, insulting and condescending stuff I have ever seen.

If it does not concern you, be well then.

6. hamsession

hamsession Member

I see. When something doesn't match the argument, then it should be dismissed as an anomaly, right?

Tell me, how many rings has Kobe won without Phil Jackson? None. What was the Lakers record when Jackson left? It was below 500. He comes back, and they get 3rd in the West.

Granted at the NBA level, a good coach can't get D-leaguers to a championship, but an all-star can't get a championship without a good coach.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

OK a trivial data search for you. What insulting or condescending posts have I made. I assure you that they are not scarce, but can you find them?

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Sigh. Every NBA player returns to their mean.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Carry on, man. Something I observed. As long as you are posting good stuff and don't call out people for not agreeing with it. All is well.

You can look above what pippengimp posted. Maybe I exeggerated but they are nonetheless very biased, offensive in itself.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

You are a bright individual. I do read your posts seriously. And I pay attention to them. But do answer the question.

11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

you don't have a phd?

12. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Seriously disappointed in the posts today "coaches don't make a difference" is a lazy comment and it's right up there with "the only people who think the team is doing bad are LOF's" lol ridiculous.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can I find them? well appreciated.

See Motiejunas/Jones threads

Sometimes a lot of those posts are more subtle but the overall sense is that you feel you are above majority of all posters and that is fine. I just would tone it down.

CF is melting pot more than a mosaic of different guys with different agendas.

Only fans, fairweather fans, knee jerkers and etc.
    Guys that like to play the Spanish Inquisition to determine who are the real fans.

A whole lot are veteran posters that have the knowledge or that are fun to follow.

14. houtown

houtown Member

Excellent point. Its essential for there to be coach who provides an environment and mindset an all star and team can thrive on. Phil Jackson was great, if not the greatest at getting the best out his superstars, while providing structure on the court to promote his vision with the triangle offense, which often promoted spontaneous teamwork and kept the all stars ego in check with reality. Often it seems coaches take for granted that basketball is a spiritual and psychological game, and not all about Xs and Os and statistics.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree. Even if you don't critically think about exactly what a coach does and how they impact a team at a very basic level a coach decides who plays and for how long that itself makes a big difference.

16. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He is in his 4th year in the league, most players are pretty much whatever they will be by their 4th year.

Nothing wrong with 15pts 6assists a game that is good solid quality PG play.

Could he average 20ppg on a crappy team, you bet, he could do a Mike James...

But on a good team, he is far too careless with the ball and coaches can't have too many guys like that on the floor at the same time, Lin and Harden are really poor in the Assist to turnover ratio - so it would be best to minimize their time on the court together, especially when they are both having a sloppy game at the same time.

DD

17. munco

munco Member

let's not derail this thread.
    McHale is not a good coach and never has been. Morey, where are your advanced analytics at?

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's more like the 3rd season for him. His first time with GSW and the shortened season with NY counts as one regular season of 82 games. (played little time) 64 played games if you put those 2 seasons together.

Usage isn't high right now and not a lot of mileage.

19. bws

bws Member

Yes, and it's not true players are who they are in their 4th year. Nash wasn't, that's one example. And I'm not talking just about season averages. Lin's improvement has been noticeable and I think it's wrong-headed to say someone will or won't be something as they progress doing something. We don't know. And that's OK not to know. With Lin especially, underestimating him can make you look foolish in the long run. It's not that I'm optimistic, it's that I'm an age that I've seen know-it-alls proclaim something about someone and putting their own limitations on someone else get proven wrong time after time.

20. DaDakota

Supporting Member

4th season, no excuses.

And McHale is a below average coach at best.

DD