1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire Bickerstaff Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Zergling

Zergling Member

He's not going to replace 2 coaches in the same season. Wait for the offseason

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

That started with the Morey fool who said that

And then obviously his 2nd lap dog JB is left with no option but to back him up.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

either way, they should hire this guy to give the motivational speeches for now on.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_b7bgtu2O4E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

seriously from game to game other than the starters there is no idea who may or may not get minutes. JB says he needs to find MT or Harrell more minutes after they play well and the next game they are DNP or play under 5 minutes.

This is my stance. I don't think JBB is a terrible coach and he will have his day to shine at some point but he is very young and inexperienced and was given the keys to a team that was expected to contend. This just was going to be a disaster from the start. Secondly to me personally I find it hard to believe that the message being sent to the players is going to be so vastly different from what McHale said since JBB was mentored by McHale. Not to mention if McHale and his staff were "the problem" (which they were not the only cause but they were one of them) then it would make no sense to keep the staff but get rid of the guy who should command the most respect (mchale) -- i mean JBB is younger than Terry.

People may say look at what Spolestra did but that situation was different. First off he had a pretty crappy full year coaching prior to Bosh and LeBron joining the team. Secondly Wade believed in Spo which made everything so much easier - right now I dont think we've heard our best player say anything to defend or support JBB. And of course as JVG said - great players make coaches look good and that Heat team had arguably the GOAT in James and a top 5 SG of all time in Wade and not to mention a all-nba PF in Bosh and of couse GOAT of them all in Chalmers.

I appreciate and love everything Morey has done with this team - absolutely love what he has done given the cards he has been dealt. The only thing I am not a huge fan of is his heavy influence on the style of play and philosophy I believe he is the only GM to have such a heavy influence along with Hinkie (his protege). I think at this point if he left the coaching/style aspect aside and stuck strictly to trades/scouting etc he would be one of the best GMs ever. Coaching is a huge aspect and losing Adeleman was big and we do need a much more respected and veteran coach in command of this team right now.

To me I really do not want to speculate but its almost as if the Rockets are purposefully just tanking this season after they started off a bit slow. It makes no sense for Les to not get the coach he wants and considering that the team just made the WCF and came back with just as much if not more talent than the year before and appeared to be getting healthy to. I mean thats a pretty rare opportunity so why blow it by having a really rookie coach? Seriously at this point it almost seems like this debacle is being allowed to happen on purpose its that comical because its totally against what Morey and Les have said and have tried to do in years past.

5. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I feel bad for him, he's trying to be liked by players and please DM. Can't do both, I would love to see him make some bold changes to the Rockets defensive strategies and start with a quick hook for those who don't play D.

6. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I don't buy that for a second. They're not tanking. If they were, players would've been dealt already. I think they're committed to riding this thing out(well, at least til the trade deadline a month from now) and are hoping the team turns it around at some point.

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bickerstaff on hack-a: &quot;Trying to win the game. It didn't work. That's it. That's all I have to say.&quot; Kind of did work. D rest of gm failed.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/690026733848936448">January 21, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sounded like Rockets players hated the hack-a strategy. But if they defended without it, would not have had to resort to fouling Drummond.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/status/690040754434129920">January 21, 2016</a></blockquote>

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I think JB has lost the lockeroom with this.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

I cannot really blame J.B., this is all on Morey and partly on McHale. What do you expect J.B. to do? You cannot just drastically and whilly-nilly change your whole operation. Even if he wanted to, he couldn't. He already changed things around with Capela starting. The rotations suck but I guess he's trying. Morey or Leslie cannot say anything else besides that J.B. is doing great. This season is on them and the players, not J.B. McHale was a scapegoat, Morey and Leslie knew it wouldn't change anything.

10. hakeemthagreat

JB is not a terrible coach. His rotations are terrible and he must have something against players like Lawson, and maybe Thornton due to his hot & cold substitution patterns.

11. underrated015

underrated015 Member

what was morey and the rest of the coaching staff doing in the offseason? we know that dmo is hurt and tjones is soft as tissuepaper. We got a new pointguard and still run the same offense where james harden has the ball . Our defense was not great last year and it is laughable this point. The players look so confused . they can't all be this bad. We expected too much fro m this team. Granted morey went and got players but the writing was on the wall with mchale and this coaching staff.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

hacking worked...rockets just didn't have enough defense to take advantage of regaining the lead after hacking. That's what happens when you're missing Bev and Dwight. People tend to judge hacking based on whether it was a loss or win, but unless it came in the closing minutes, it's not really a good way to assess it.

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

That is a bit of hindsight informing your post, isn't it? Most of us were very optimistic that we would be competitive this year, as we did much of our damage last year without Howard or Jones. With a healthy D Mo, Bev, a new weapon in Lawson, hopefully a healthier Howard, and a more experienced Harden, you would think that many of the ingredients for success were in place despite our often clueless head coach. We were listed pretty high in most pre-season rankings. I disagree with your statement that the writing was on the wall, though the rest of what you said is mostly true concerning this year.

Going forward, Morey is going to need a bonafide coach and players to fit that coach and system. This Wild West mentality of threes and layups/dunks without organization isn't going to cut it against San Antonio or Golden State.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Tweet from Watkins said the FO was the one who wanted to do hack a shaq.

15. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Hack a Shaq worked fine. It was the rest of the lackadaisical defense that did us in.

16. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Dont be stupid. JVG would love to be back.

17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">15 worst lineup combos in January with at least 40 minutes this month. Some surprises, some not so much. <a href="https://t.co/UFtQZqWrO6">pic.twitter.com/UFtQZqWrO6</a></p>&mdash; Michael Gallagher (@MikeSGallagher) <a href="https://twitter.com/MikeSGallagher/status/690595823789309952">January 22, 2016</a></blockquote>

18. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

BWHAHAH - Nice.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

JB had the locker room?

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I don't think he's terrible either but he's not good enough. Rockets need a new philosophy and a new coach and staff. JB is really just more of the same, might as well had kept Mchale if you were gonna keep JB.