1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Evan Mobley as a Cleveland Cavaliers thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TimDuncanDonaut, Oct 29, 2021.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

Capela is in his 8th year, $17 mil this year (fair value). Mobley is his rookie year still on that rookie contract $8mil.

I dunno, are we going to do this to Scottie Barnes too when the Raptors lose a few playoff games.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nobody's saying Capela is more valuable than Mobley, but people are acting like Mobley is Hakeem out there creating his own shot. Maybe in the future he can do that but thats not the reality now.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

Respectfully disagree, very few, act like he's Hakeem. Especially on a Rockets board.

Not saying you specifically, I'm i wish people like / disklike a player based on just that person, instead of being super pro-guard or anti-big. There are good guards, good wings and good bigs. And bad ones too. Last year it's Evan, this year it's Chet, next year probably be someone else.

Although magically Jabari and Paolo gets a pass because only two inches shorter. A 7 footer is like a scarlet letter around here.

As a Rockets fan, with a history of some really great bigs, it saddens me that some people (not you specifically) are so anti-big. I like guards too (Harden) and others, but can appreciate a big man.

This year, Rockets with the worst record, getting schooled by average bigs around the league, I would hope the wind would shift more.

---
    On a different note, for things like assisted scoring, that's how they run their offense: through Darius. Not sure why people are surprised here.

In the park, sometimes people clown others for 'using' screen, means their first step, iso juke moves are not enough, but in the NBA guys like Trae/Steph others use screens all the time. You find ways to get points and win games whatever legal ways necessary. If an assisted Evan bucket is higher pct than iso, then so be it.

If people want to see if Mobley can get his own bucket, there are clips of his floaters, his post touches, in the first few pages of the thread (beginning of the year). JBB could have moved away from this in favor of more synergy for the team.
    --

#623 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  4. Milos

Milos Member

Why does the Allen narrative never mention that Cavs also lost 2/3 of their backcourt a long time ago as well??

Sexton and Rubio were both lost in the first half
    Adding in Allen now, that's arguably 3 of their top 6 players lost, replaced with only Caris Lavert

What if Barnes had lost Trent, OG, then Siakim?

Doesn't really work with Green ...
    I am still rooting for him to 'lose' Gordon, KPJ & Wood

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Also Sexton missed 71 games, basically the whole season. He gets a pass because, well 6'1". The injury prone big man argument is only thrown out when it suits a narrative.

clos4life and Milos like this.
  6. i3artow i3aller

Doubt they miss Sexton all that much. Backcourt also still had Garland, Rondo and LeVert.

#626 i3artow i3aller, Apr 15, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  7. Milos

Milos Member

Rondo is a vagabond journeyman at this point
    LeVert is becoming another after getting traded 3 times in 18 mos

8. i3artow i3aller

What is Sexton to you? Pretty sure Cle would jump at the chance to move on from him.

9. Reeko

Reeko Member

Cleveland didn’t miss Sexton…matter of fact, they’ve been trying to get rid of him for the longest

him being out allowed for Garland to take complete control of the team, and Sexton doesn’t help the defense anyways

the Cavs defense completely nosedived without Allen

clos4life, SamFisher, Yung-T and 5 others like this.
  10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Why didn’t you just say Mobley is assisted on 67% of his shots vs 77% for Capela instead of breaking it into 2s and 3s for Mobley? Or just compare 2pt% since Capela doesn’t shoot 3s. Seems like throwing in 3pt% was to obfuscate the stats.

FWIW Mobley is right around KAT. Jokic was 63% his rookie year and 62% this year. And Capela has been around 80% for most of his career.

#630 ChillyPete32, Apr 16, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
    Yung-T likes this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Thats the stats on bball reference I dunno how you think throwing 3 pt% obfuscates any stats. If you wanna use a combined metric then give your link.

Kat has 53% of his 2 pts and 89% of his 3 pts assisted how is Mobley right around that number?
    https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/t/townska01.html

53% is right around 65%?
    89% is right around 95%?

Who is obfuscating facts here you or me? Smh

SamFisher likes this.
  12. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

That was somewhat intentional to highlight what it seemed like you were doing with 3% since big men almost always are assisted on those. But nba.com gives the full %.

Also you think 65% is right around 77% so I don’t know what to tell you.

More seriously.

For 2 pt KAT’s rookie year was 67%. Slightly higher than Mobley. For the next 3 years he was 60, 58, 64 before starting to get closer to 50.

Jokic in his rookie year was 60% then dropped year by year mostly before jumping back to 58% this year.

Capela has had two years at around 67% (including his second year) but 4 full seasons over 80% (his rookie year was 93% but he barely played so I won’t count that) in addition to this season at 77%. Mobley is much more likely on a somewhat KAT like offensive trajectory than Capela, with light years better D than KAT. He finished plenty of PNRs (which is still a skill) but did more than that and shows some potential to do a lot more.

13. vator

vator Contributing Member

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Whats wrong sith including 3 pts thst are assisted? My whole post is showing how much of Mobleys shots are assisted so I'm supoosed to exclude shots that are always assisted? I wasnt comparing rookie years Im only looking at current year, I dunno why you put your own interpretation on my posts lol. The other poster was saying Mobley wasnt depending on others to set him up and he would be able to develop his own offense if he played on the Rox this year. This is obviously false bssed on the data we have.

Can Mobley learn to develop his own shooting in the future? Yes. I even said that in my post. Is he scoring on his own now? No. If he played on the Rox would he be able to score? Probably not.

15. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

How could the greatest rookie ever according to some not win ROY???

vator likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

tHVzTJe.gif

King1 likes this.
  17. TimDuncanDonaut

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Evan Mobley looks so goofy. I know he is good, im just saying.

19. Salvy

Salvy Member

Evan Mobley, the poor man's Jabari Smith...

Jontro and BHannes2BHonest like this.
  20. i3artow i3aller