1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Diamondbacks @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 31, 2015.

1. right1

right1 Member

Not sure if that link works. Anyway...can we catch Castro and DH Conger vs righties?

2. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

My lineup for today going against Ray

Altuve
    Gomez
    Correa
    Lowrie
    Gattis
    Gonzalez
    Conger
    Rasmus
    Marisnick

3. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

I like it, but Tucker hits lefties pretty good, but your lineup is better defensively.

Also, Conger hits around .160 vs lefties, while Castro .215

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Managers tend to not want to use their only other catcher as a DH. If Castro were to get hurt, Conger would go catch and then you lose the DH for the rest of the game.

5. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Tucker is hitting .188 vs lefties, .224 on base and .219 slugging

I like Tucker, think he has a great future and probably as our DH.

But he has been horrible vs LHP

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Tuck has a .443 OPS against LHP. Marisnick isn't much better but that OF defense will be very good.

Conger hit a bomb last night so he gets to stick.

7. The Beard

I tend to agree, and doubt he uses Conger there

I wonder if having Gattis on the roster would allow for Conger to DH, not regularly as he really isn't this good of a hitter, but maybe a couple of times right now while he is smoking hot?

8. The Beard

Castro hit bombs in back to back games before last night, including a walk off

Good problem to have :grin:

9. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

4 and 4

Last night, Stros had as many HR's as K's

Without checking stats, the team seems to be making much better contact lately.

Let's finish off this series with another win!!

10. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Astros?src=hash">#Astros</a> today. Marwin at first, Gattis in left <a href="http://t.co/hqM0hE3s1d">pic.twitter.com/hqM0hE3s1d</a></p>&mdash; Chandler Rome (@Chandler_Rome) <a href="https://twitter.com/Chandler_Rome/status/627857703491076097">August 2, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gattis in LF, barf.

11. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Remember we have Gattis who catched last year for the Braves, so we have more than an emergency catcher.

Now, I dont think Gattis will sit much, only times to give him a breather.

12. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Well, why Cater, why???? Tucker hits lefties

13. The Beard

Ok so you have said it a lot today

So, please explain why you think Tucker hits lefties? We would love to hear the explanation on why you think so.

The results have been horrible, but we would all enjoy reading your explanation as to why he hits them so well, even though he hasn't.

Not trying to start problems, I promise. It's just that I can't see at all where you are coming from here?

14. The Beard

Don't understand downgrading the defense by putting Gattis in LF, just to get Carter's bat in the lineup. Put Rasmus in the OF, he has been no worse than Carter with the bat, and the OF defense would be tremendously better

15. right1

right1 Member

Wow. Bringing out the righties in full force versus the lefty Ray. So, basically 4 lefthanded hitters on the bench. The Angels almost never played Conger against lefthanded pitchers and Castro has shown to hit a little better against them in his career.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I agree completely. Maybe Hinch just wanted to give Colby the day off.

17. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

In the minors, he hit lefties. Plus, at the beginning of the year, he hit lefties. Then he had a bad month, and did not hit lefties nor righties. Now he starts hitting again, but team is not playing him vs lefties. He only has 64 at bats vs lefties in the majors, and started very good vs lefties. He just struggle in june, and thats were those numbers are. But believe me, scouting is he can hit lefties.
    Here is Baseball America "He has handled left handers in his career and hit .319 with seven homers against them in 2014, when he spent the second half at Triple A"

Now, I SAW him hit good against lefties when he came up in the majors, then STRUGGLED against lefties AND righties in June. Now he is not playing vs lefties and i believe that is a mistake, if he is hitting let him hit vs lefties, he will hit them, has done it in the past, and will continue to do it.

18. The Beard

If this were 2014 or before, I would agree

But he has been horrendous against them, is bad defensively, and we are trying to win a division.

19. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The lumberjack is due today

1 person likes this.
  20. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

Is BA america 2015. Those numbers are from 2014, but they said that in HIS CAREER he has handled lefties.