1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Diamondbacks @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 15, 2008.

1. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Went to the game today, and there were scattered boos for Burke and Qualls. I didn't understand it. Burke obviously wasn't the best while he was here, but it wasn't as if he left on bad terms. Qualls was a good player while he was here. Is there something I'm forgetting?

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I get the feeling Cooper just doesn't want to see a complete game.

3. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

funny thing is both those guys love the astros.
    not like they left on their on terms, they were traded. majority of fans are stupid.

4. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

5. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Very, very, very rare if that does happen.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The curve is more effective when he's spotting his fastball well... because its really not that great of a curveball, its just that the speed differential is so large that it makes for an effective changeup.

Of course, if his release isn't right, the curveball has a big ol hump in it... and either gets recognized or hammered. THAT is when he stops throwing it. And if he isn't spotting his fastball (which has rarely been an issue... but has come up this year), then he's more hittable.

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

I'm glad someone posted this. I was about to create a thread. It really pissed me off when they booed Qualls. So many people are just idiots. They think on the simplest level. Oh, he used to play for us and now he plays for them. He's bad! They don't differentiate as to whether the player spurned us or whether he left as a result of a trade that he did not desire.

Boo Beltran. Boo Pettitte. Do not ****ing boo Chad Qualls, Brad Lidge, Jeff Kent, players that helped this team and who would have been happy to remain Astros.

In general, Astros fans have a long way to go before they can be considered a knowledgeable fanbase. The emotion is there, but now we have to have the baseball smarts to go with it.

And for all of those who say "whether they wanted to leave or not, they are now the enemy, so it's okay to boo them", did you go out of your way to boo players like Drew, Montero, and Figgins?

Was having a great time at the day today, but that classless display kind of put a damper on things.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Are you kidding? In places like Boston or Philly they boo everyone. Wearing another jersey??? You get booed. Wearing another jersey after wearing the home team's jersey for a while...there will be more than a few boos for you. Hell..wear the home jersey and have a bad night and you'll get your ass booed.

Now I'm sure ESPN will inform you that people in Boston and/or Philly are better baseball fans than some hick from Houston could ever be...so if it's good enough for them, it's good enough for us.

9. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

When I went to Fenway last year, the Sox were hosting San Fran. When Dave Roberts led off the game for the Giants, they gave hime at least a 5 minute standing ovation.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah? I heard 'em boo Nomar when he went 0/3. In the middle of an all star year for him.

Think they would have cheered him if they had still gotten swept by the Yanks in 04? I highly doubt it. Dave Roberts became a folk legend in Boston for swiping that base that began it all.

11. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Haha, did you see Lidge and Qualls pitch last year or did you take the year off as an Astros fan? Qualls was giving up automatic homeruns just about every apperance, and Lidge, well we all know about Lidge and how terrible he was the last couple of years. They may have helped during our runs, but they ran themselves out of this town with their poor performances. If they would have played better the Astros would have been more than happy to keep them. However, they both fell flat on their faces when it was time to step up and be a player in this city.

Kent gets booed just because of who he is. He has never been known as a likeable guy by anyone. There should be no suprises with the booing of Jeff Kent.

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Lidge and Qualls took every bit of criticism the media and the fanbase threw at them; Lidge, particularly, never shied away from it. They carried themselves well on and off the field. For that I think they deserve our respect.

It's not like Lidge intentionaly pitched poorly so he could get traded.

And Kent, he may have had riffs with guys in the clubhouse from time to time, but he played the game hard and played well in his time here. Probably won't ever forget his blast in the '04 NLCS.

Neither of them deserved to be booed. Shoot I don't even think Beltran should hear our disdain anymore. I think silence would be far more impactful.

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

My son went to the game yesterday and of course they won...He was happy to be there for Biggio's jersey retirement...He said they gave away lunch boxes (didn't get that) and pens I think...

Start of a new streak...