1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Cubs @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 14, 2006.

1. msn

msn Member

Nice reset of the greatest musical ever filmed (IMO).

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Wade Miller is the likely starter for the Cubs today.

3. Buck Turgidson

Ryan O'Malley, making his first big-league start, per Cubs website.

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

5. msn

msn Member

Those two are a perfect fit for one another. It's awesome how the Cubs attract extremely talented, fragile pitchers with bad mechanics.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Miller is an idiot... the guy was told a long time ago that he would have to change his mechanics, or else he'd be messed up (physically).

What's even funnier was the uproar that went on here when the Astros let him go, knowing full well that his shoulder was beyond healing without surgery.

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lost in the horrible outcome of the game was a couple of questionable plays/decisions.

Huff getting caught up between second and third after his HUGE double was pretty rough. At the time, I was glad he did because I thought Berkman would've been meat at the plate if the throw had gone through. That being said, losing a baserunner there (would've been 3-3 with a guy on second and one out, I believe) was inexcusable.

More rotten baserunning when OP gets caught in the same situation (again two runs score) and we run ourselves out of a chance for a bigger inning...how good would one more run have been looking back.

Also, the Astros need to find a designated manager. Garner cannot perform the simple task of a f'n double switch to save his life. Look, I understand the rationale behind taking out the guy who made the last out and putting the pitcher in his spot in the line-up. That's not what I'm questioning. When you're out of relievers, you KNOW that your pitcher is going to have to bat for himself the rest of the way unless you PH Backe or Pettitte or Hirsch and leave them in to pitch. So why in world would you take out a guy in an RBI position and replace him with a pitcher. Berkman had no protection with Borkowski batting behind him. There were a couple of times when there was a runner on base and Bork was up at the plate batting in the 5-hole (I think).

Taking out Scott and Huff and Lamb and replacing them with Lane, Ensberg, and Munson is about as idiotic a thing as I've seen in a long time. How many times is Garner going to be caught emptying his bench and not having any options available at the end of the game?!?

How about this... MAN LAW, don't double switch for Berkman (even if Burke homered against ATL) or Scott. Additionally, Morgan Ensberg and Jason Lane should never be allowed to come to bat in extra innings. A very nice collective 0-9 out of those two! Lane swings at anything and Morgan likes to take three strikes before deciding its time to swing and be aggressive.

Corollary: if you're out of pitchers, don't double switch to move the pitcher spot higher up in the order. He's going to bat anyway, so let him hit ninth where there's less of a chane he'll come up in an RBI spot.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow. this is soooo true. kind of like fascism and communism. polar opposites that lead to the same place.

9. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

This post is to anyone who thinks that booing an Astro is proper behavior. That is total bull****. If you are going to boo someone in our house, then don't bring your sorry ass in there. Let me be there when that **** happens again. I will be ripping new assholes for free. Mo is not to be disrespected in anyway and Lidge is having the worst season in his career but booing him is trashy and disgusting like some damn Mets fans and those that do it suck worse than the Cubs and the Braves combined. MMP is our house; if you don't like it, get out.

10. desihooper

Supporting Member

I'm not booing the player... I'm against putting them in situations that reduce the Astros' chance of winning and competing.

Who in their right mind had the slightest bit of confidence that either Ensberg or Lane was going to come up with a clutch job last night?!?

Heck, I'll even say it's not on those two that the Astros lost last night. Berkman going 0-6 didn't help. Note to Lance: the Cubs are throwing you change-ups to get you out. Come on now, you're better than that. Maybe this is a sick on-line version of the SI jinx. Lance gets a feature story on him on cnnsi.com and he has a glorious 0-6 outing in one of the biggest games of the year... and yes, they're all big games from here on out.

Keep the faith, win this afternoon and right the ship. A 5-4 homestand is not what we envisioned, but if they're only three games back after this afternoon all is not lost.

11. msn

msn Member

I respectfully disagree. It's a public place. If you can't handle how other people utilize their freedom of expression, perfhaps it is you who should get out. Nothing about Lidge's performance warranted anything other than booing last night, and that goes for Lane and Ensberg as well.

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

And Berkman.

13. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Wow, the plunking begins early ... Andy with the HBP in the 1st inning.

Lost in the total crapfest that was last night was Roger getting nailed by the no-name Cubs pitcher. I gotta admit, the part of me that used to hate Rocket before he was a Stro thought it was pretty funny.

14. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Berkman did pick the wrong night to have a horrible game at the plate, didn't he?

15. Shehzad23

Shehzad23 Member

Can some 1 tell me y Ensberg and Lane are playing?

16. Buck Turgidson

And Clemens.

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Exactly.

The only time I advocate booing is when the effort's not there. I typically am against it. The only time I remember (key word) booing is at game 4 of the 1998 series v. the Jazz.

18. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

Because they were so clutch last night. ;) Besides Huff sucks he went 3 for 5 last night.

19. desihooper

Supporting Member

Over/under on how many rallies are killed today by the gruesome foursome of Ensberg/Lane/Everett/Ausmus back-to-back-to-back-to-back today?!?

I'm guessing 3.

As I'm sitting here at work "watching" on Gamecast, I can imagine myself seeing two or three dots on base with 1 or 2 outs and then getting nothing because those four are due up next.

I hope I'm wrong, I could seriously use a flashback to August 2005 right about now :D

20. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

Why would I be the one to leave when I am the one who wants them to get the utmost respect? I am not saying people dont' have the right, I just think they are trash and should respect the team enough not disrespect them in their own house. Booing is trashy and Astros fans are supposed to be better than that.