1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Chargers @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Sep 27, 2022.

1. raining threes

I stopped buying merchandise when Kubiak/Smith weren't fired after 2010.

2. raining threes

This is how teams get in trouble. Drafting a QB because they need a QB instead of waiting to try to draft a franchise QB in the 2024 draft.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

So you want to see Mills again?

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. raining threes

Not really

But I dont want to pick a QB that I feel wont lead this franchise to a championship, just because QB is a need. Better to wait until 2024 when there's a better QB draft class. IMHO

If you cant stomach Mills for another season then go out and sign either Jimmy G, Cooper Rush or Minshew to a 3 year deal.

mtbrays and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Another Day and another L for this trash dumpster franchise. Wonder how long it will take for us to draft a franchise qb this time.

htownrox1, Rudyc281 and Fulgore like this.
  6. raining threes

Those dont grow on trees and you shouldn't draft a QB just because you need one.That's how you stay the same mediocre franchise they've been for the last two decades plus. See: Carr over Peppers.

Rudyc281 and Qan like this.
  7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Or maybe this strategy of using stopgap QB’s is the reason.

When they actually drafted a QB in the first round, it worked out… till he decided he couldn’t stand the team anymore (and had a lot of skeletons in his closet).

conquistador#11 and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Just the confusion with the tweets above mainly 4th down plays and personnel. I honestly havent been keeping up with all the ins and outs of the team like in years past, but it just seems to me that whenever I hear/read Lovie he doesnt really inspire a bunch of confidence from me especially with his post game quotes and coachspeak even though I usually know how to sift through the jargon - may be an inherent bias I carry. Lovie is just another placeholder coach, which is fine, but his own performance isnt really dictating much on the field for this young team. Good "leader" I suppose in all the other areas of coaching.

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. marky :)

marky :) Member

Holy hell. Let Pierce gain some experience in these sitautions. How will he get better/learn/grow if we run Burkhead out htere like hes our RB1/RB2. We're not winning anytime soon, let the youngings learn.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. raining threes

It didn't work out and drafting Carr/Watson is the reason the franchise is where it is today. If I'm drafting high, I'm not taking a QB high unless there's an Elway/Mahomes/Herbert/Burrow/Luck available. If somebody wants to trade up with me for a QB, then I'm all on board. But the biggest part of any trade I make comes with the caveat of I must have your 2024 1st in any trade, so I have three 1sts so if I'm not picking high, (Doubtful) I have the draft capital to trade up and get my guy.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The Texans were correct in drafting Watson. His problem was not a performance on the field issue. It was an off-the-field problem that no one saw that ended up causing conflict. You cannot let your experience with Watson's predatory nature scare you away from a QB you think can lead your franchise.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Revisionist history on Carr. I place the blame for his not developing solely upon the stupidity of this so-called football organization. They drafted a drop back passer who worked best operating out of a clean pocket and then hung him out to dry with a pathetic offensive line, no weapons and no plan for developing a rookie QB. He ends up getting sacked 76 times in his rookie year. The kid took the worst beating I'd seen since the days of Dan Pastorini. Toward the end of his tenue in Houston, the coaching staff came up with the brilliant idea of having Carr practice throwing passes over ladders in order to compensate for the opposing pass rushers. And yet, folks here want to place the blame for his lack of development solely on Carr.

And yet, folks like you want pin the blame on the players who don't succeed in spite of this inept football operation. The one constant since the days of the Oilers has been the neverending incompetence at the top. Look at the cycle the Texans currently find themselves locked in: They're currently on their 2nd placeholder head coach in two years who won't be fired until 2024 because of "optics". Which gives the long suffering Houston fanbase two more years of suckage at which time, a new coach will be brought in (can hardly wait for that Caserio presser) and the head coaching cycle will restart...again. By 2026, Caserio will be let go and another (savior) GM will be hired who will restart the head coach hiring cycle because he'll want to bring in his guy. Oh, and any player who's unable to succeed here in spite of this "situation" will reviled as a bust and a failure. Bud Adams may have created this blueprint but it was Bob McNair and now Cal who are keeping it going. As I have posted before: with the Texans, everyday is Groundhog Day.

13. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know, I don't feel bad that I came into this season with high hopes for Mills. I feel like he showed enough last season to warrant some positive viewpoints that he may be much better than his 3rd round draft status would suggest.

I DO, however, feel really stupid that I was somehow expecting our coaching staff to transform this team. Lovie Smith is still Lovie Smith, Pep Hamilton did some good things with Davis Mills last year but I but there weren't a lot of other reasons to think he was going to develop some innovative offensive scheme that was going to maximize talent, and the rest of the coaching staff really doesn't matter too much.

I guess I'll tuck in for the rest of the season and just look for little bright spots here and there (like Pierce or maybe some of our other rookies). I'm not one of those fans that roots for losses so we get better draft position, but I'm definitely past the point of going into any game at this point thinking we will win. All four games so far this season were there for the taking and we couldn't do it. I think it is only going to get tougher as the season progresses. We are REALLY gonna be depressed when we finally play Jacksonville and it becomes apparent how much brighter a future they have than the Texans.

Heavy sigh

cmoak1982 likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Mahomes was drafted 10th. Watson was drafted 12th. Trubisky was drafted 2nd.

You don't really know what you have till they're on the field. If they've got a track record of doing well against elite college competition, have measurable metrics that translate, have a decent head on their shoulders, and have the requisite peripherals... they're likely going to be first round picks and you take your chances if you don't have a solid QB in place.

The Texans have all their picks, plus others. They can fill holes at line positions/other skill positions throughout the draft. They're going to have to devote a high pick to a QB at some point... there's really no other way to get an elite QB in this league.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

:D

16. raining threes

I had Mahomes as my #1 QB at that time and said so. That's why it's so disappointing for me that RS didn't do what was necessary to get him. Kinda like not drafting Jimmy G lead to the incompetent Hoyer/Mallet/Fitz/Os years.

Agreed with your last post. If I had to draft a QB this year it would be Levis. Arm strength and athleticism. But I'm not real high on him either. Of course I haven't seen much of him, compared to the other guys.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It’s early. There will be other qb prospects that start to declare themselves as the year goes on.

Teams no longer simply look for that once in a lifetime QB prospect… because we know it really isn’t the case anymore minus the really really special ones (even then, Winston, marriota, Luck… none of them going to the HOF).

18. raining threes

Then this is where they're wrong. Taking a few wins with a top 15 drafted QB vs searching and showing patience for greatness.

19. conquistador#11

If it were this easy everyone would have a franchise qb. Chiefs didn't need a qb and still spent a high pick for Mahomes. If you see something in an arm that you like, you can't get stingy or patient. You acquire him and adapt to him. If Nick likes Young/Stroud/whoever then he will need to take the leap of faith. It's inevitable.

20. raining threes

Agreed but it will be a mistake. Regardless I'm behind whoever Caserio drafts if he drafts a QB.