1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Chargers @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Nov 2, 2010.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

According to the rules, it wasn't.

We've been over this before with Calvin Johnson.

Good call, dumb rule.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm so tired of the "it was a TD..it wasn't a TD discussion." Who the hell cares? Teams have to overcome bad calls all the time. The Chargers gifted us a TD in the first quarter off that crappy semi-kick return and the blocked punt. Good teams have to overcome bad calls. We're not the first team in the league to have a call go against us. As soon as he dropped that ball I thought, "they're going to call that back," simply because of the Calvin Johnson play earlier this year...it was my gut reaction right after the play happened.

HERE'S THE BOTTOM LINE:

The best scoring offense in the league this season is averaging 26.5 ppg.

With what their defense has allowed this season, if the Texans offense scored 26.5 points in every game so far they'd be 3-5. Instead, they're 4-4.

The Texans give up 28.5 ppg. Only the Buffalo Bills give up more...of course, they don't have the league's leading rusher on their team that keeps the ball away from the opposing offenses.

YOU SIMPLY CAN NOT EXPECT AN NFL TEAM TO GO OUT AND PUT 30 POINTS ON THE BOARD EVERY SINGLE WEEK, IN ORDER TO WIN A GAME.

If you have to do that, even the best offenses are going to come up short as many times as they succeed. Thus....4-4.

So who's to blame? Look...this is the 5th season. In the NFL, teams turn it around in less time quite a bit. Teams that were cellar dwellers.

If they do what I think they're gonna do...and finish 8-8...then I'm past ready to move on.

3. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Great post, but you know what really blows? The offensive guys on the team are out in the press saying that if we scored 30 points a game, we'd be 6-2 right now....
    This mindset is killing me, freaking stop someone! The defense has to be able to win games when the offense scores 23+ points. We shouldn't have to score 4 TDs to win every game.

4. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

this team is stupid and i hate them.

5. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I see your point and agree.

6. MadMax

Exactly. There's not a team in the league scoring 30 ppg. It's a joke. The defense should give themselves lashes that the offense feels guilty about it.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

insert angry rant here

boy I hope jackson is just having rookie issues and this isnt what he's going to be.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seriously, who the hell cares if it was a touchdown or not? We got the FG which means the whole episode only netted a loss of 4 points...and we lost the game by 6. Regardless of whether getting a TD would have changed SD's philosophy, the bottom line is that it doesn't matter mathematically if it was a TD or not.

You know what's funny? At no point while watching that game yesterday did I feel like we were going to win. Even after the blocked punt and quick TD. Even after taking a 23-14 lead in the 2nd half. Even after still being ahead in the 4th quarter. Even after Dressen's big catch on the final drive. It was never a question of IF we were going to lose, only HOW.

Like some others here, I never bought in when we were 4-2. We are halfway through the season and right on schedule, as far as I'm concerned. Sure, our annual season-killing losing streak has started a little earlier than usual, but otherwise....right on schedule.

It was really great to hear Kubiak telling Bob Allen last night that it was his fault and that (shucks) he just has to do a better job getting the team prepared and that there were some good things happing that didn't show up on the scoreboard and that they just have to continue to get better. That was really encouraging.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We get the extra four and we're playing for a FG at the end of the game and running the ball once we're in position to kill the clock. The INT probably doesn't happen, but them are the breaks....

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Uh, WTF? If you're up 24-14 (and subsequently, 27-21), you kick a field goal on 4th and 1 from the 17 to start the fourth quarter. You also probably only need a field goal on the final drive, and aren't as aggressive throwing down the field. Yes, it absolutely DID matter mathematically.

I'm not saying I put this game entirely on that call or the officials, but I'm so sick of the absurd ways people bail out the officials and their idiotic rules. It's a God-awful rule (and even so, I don't think it applied in this case because going to the ground wasn't a part of the catch), and let's hold them accountable.

11. MadMax

it's a bad rule regardless of who it's called against. no question about it. i want the rule changed.

but i'm not excusing the texans because of it. sorry. it's been too long with too many excuses. bad calls happen to every team, nearly every week. sometimes those calls take points off the board. get a stop occasionally, and you're not sweating it.

12. msn

msn Member

This.

If you're pointing at the officials after losing a game, you both a loser *and* a whiner.

Max said it. Mix in a freaking defensive stop every once in a while.

13. The Cat

Oh I'm not excusing the Texans either, I'm beyond sick of this team. Just saying that I have enough hate to give both the Texans and the officiating. :)

14. The Cat

I'm not blaming the officials for losing the game. Not at all. The entire situation is irrelevant if your offensive line could have gotten even the slightest push on ONE of three crucial short-yardage situations, deep in SD territory. That's who my anger is primarily at.

But I'm saving some for the officials as well, because without public outrage, these idiotic rules just slide by.

15. noscrusir

noscrusir Contributing Member

IMO, they need to open up the competition at corner a bit more give McManis or McCain a shot to start. I know Kareem is a 1st rounder, but I seriously believe our patience in throwing him into the fire is costing us games.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

1 game behind division leaders and you've played the colts twice, the only bad loss in terms of opponent is Dallas. I was at the game yesterday, only my second, my son's first, I was extremely disappointed. but you have to maintain perspective.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, I'm just so tired of all the excuses from our fanbase (not you). You just can't blame a loss on a bad call that early in the game. Whose to say SD doesn't step on the gas even more, once they go down 24-14?

Agree with you about the officials. But they missed that cheap shot Smith put on Rivers too.

18. msn

msn Member

Gotcha.

Speaking of dumb rules, receptions are governed so much better in NCAA than the NFL.

If you catch the ball inside the plane of the sidelines or endzone boundaries, it should be a catch. Period.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

If you have hate in your heart, let it out!

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Oh, absolutely - lots of season left. But I don't think this team has 10+-win talent. They'd have to finish 6-2 to win 10 games. Assuming they sweep Jacksonville and beat Denver - you still have to find 3 wins against the Titans twice, Jets, Ravens and Eagles - with 3 of those games on the road.

If this is truly a good team, they can certainly win 6 of 8.

But, unfortunately, I don't think this is a good team.