1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. HTM

HTM Member

It will be interesting to see different professional analyses of Bernie's payment plan. It was just released like 15 hours ago so I imagine it will take a couple of days.

I imagine there will be a war of "economic experts" over the coming months.

I think it's safe to be skeptical/cynical of any proposed government programs. How often do government initiatives come in under or at *projected cost?

*Even if you take this Sanders plan as gospel.

joshuaao and jiggyfly like this.
  2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Oh Sanders has plenty of counter punchers in his advocates they will do the dirty work for him.

What really is missing is likability, Trump already had fans and he can be humorous at times.

Berny is all anger all the time and he will not just straight up lie when something negative comes out about him.

I do respect that about him but its not great when running for president.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Professional analyses?

How do you professionally analyze these?

It is fully paid for by:
    • Saving $1.31 trillion by reduced the need for federal and state safety net spending due to the creation of millions of good-paying, unionized jobs.

• Raising $2 trillion in revenue by making large corporations pay their fair share of taxes.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Bernie Bros can't undermine the media like Trump does. They can't threaten to primary allies who don't toe the line like Trump does. They can't use foreign policy to create fake investigations like Trump does. They can't use the DOJ to create specious suspicion like Trump does. They can't use appointments to put cronies in positions of influence like Trump does. They can't use wealth and allies and lawsuits to conduct cover-ups like Trump does. They can't use executive privilege to attack from a fortified position like Trump does. They really can't hold a candle to him.

I was just asking yesterday if anyone has data on this because I hear this idea all the time. Is his campaign really motivated by anger?

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I am getting increasingly worried about Bernies chance for election.

He has probably lost Florida because of the Castro comments.

His one on one interviews are cringeworthy because he just comes off as a curmudegeon and prickly when pushed on anything.

Yes his base will allways be there but I don't see a lot of others rallying to him and a lot of that is due to stuff like this.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/202...&utm_brand=vanity-fair&utm_social-type=earned

Li said she’s thinking of jumping from Biden to Bloomberg. She “loves” Biden, but she really wants to beat Trump—and, most of all, she wants Sanders crushed. “I am determined to make sure he’s not the nominee,” Li said. “There is no chance in hell I’d vote for him, even against Trump. And I voted for him in 2016. It’s his supporters who did this.”

The Democratic bundler agreed. “Just like Trump has a cult, Bernie has a cult,” he said, adding that there is a fear—among many Democrats, the money people and the rank and file, campaign volunteers, phone bankers, canvassers, activists, organizers—that the same bacteriophage that invaded the Republican organism in 2016 was now worming its way into the Democratic bloodstream.

We all know Democrats don't fall in line as shown by the Hillary loss in 2016 at some point him and his supporters are going to have to play nice.

6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did I say his campaign was motivated by anger?

I said he is angry all the time.

And I have no idea why you are comparing Bernie Bros to Trump in office, I certainly did not.

What do you mean undermine the media?

I am just saying he has advocates capable of doing some underhanded stuff like they did with Pete.

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

@jiggyfly

I understand you have a lot to say, which is alright by me. That's what this debate forum was made for, and you are welcome to participate as much as you want. However, can you please condense all your replies into a single post using multi-quote.

Lately, be I've reading this political forum a lot and have noticed too often your replies are a stream of 6-8 consecutive replies, one after the other, which end up dominating the whole page. There is no need to spam. The conversation flows better when everything is streamlined. Please consider using multi-quote.

Thanks.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Not spamming I don't know how to use mutli quote.

I just reply as I am reading but I don't like when I have multiple post in a row but I am probably not going to go back and reply to everyone with one quote either.

Don't think I have gone much past 6 consecutive replies either but I get it.

I understand where you are coming from will work on it.

9. Outlier

Outlier Member

Yes, I definitely took issue. I listen to full quotes first and I hate when people take others out of context.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So why not post with that same energy as you have here?

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

My apologies, you did.

No, you just inserted yourself. @ghettocheese made that equivalency between Sanders and Trump, saying you can't succeed attacking Sanders just like you can't succeed attacking Trump. I objected to say I thought Sanders could be successfully attacked because he won't employ the dirty tricks that Trump will employ. You jumped in to say Sanders has advocates that will play dirty for him. I objected again to say that they don't have the capability to do the things Trump has done. And now, we're caught up to the present.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Did you just post how he plans to pay for his 16 trillion climate plan and pretend like that's how he's saying he will pay for all of his plans?

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Sanders: Promise everything under the sun.......for free (College, Healthcare...), but don't provide a clear cut way to pay for it (except for Tax the rich and corporations). Sanders is a fraud. He is not a democrat. He is Trump without the predator sleaze and the pathological lying. With that said, hold the nose and vote for him if he has the nomination.

Can Obama run again? LOL. How about Michelle?

15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Ok still not following the Trump thing but its not really important to the convo.

We good.:D

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think he might be backing off his federal job guarantee program, he hasn't spoken of it in a while and it wasn't listed on his website under plans to pay for programs.

That being said, a federal job program could theoretically be profitable (depending on the industries), which could pay for the program its self. Now I wouldn't guess that the program would be profitable, but I think we can guess that it will pay for around 75% of its self. This screws up the math.

So I refute the 70% number, I think it's closer to around 60-65% with the federal jobs guarantee, and 55-60% without, which would put us on the edge of the 50-55% GDP to spending ratio we were talking about.

Check your tax bracket on Bernie's income tax plan Nook, compare the 4% M4A tax in comparison to what you and your company spend on your current healthcare plan. It really shouldn't be a huge difference, unless your ballin.

Nook likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

That is the concern and is consistent with what my personal observations have been.

Older and traditional voters and experts should not sleep on the appeal young voters, minority voters and marginalized voters have for Sanders. He is very well organized and he will get turnout. the question is whether his appeal is wide enough. Trump ran into the same issue.

jiggyfly and RayRay10 like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yes.

Green New Deal
    The $16.3 trillion climate change proposal that Bernie has introduced will fundamentally transform our energy system away from fossil fuel and towards energy efficiency and renewable energy. It will also create 20 million good-paying union jobs in the process.

It is fully paid for by:

• Raising $3.085 trillion by making the fossil fuel industry pay for their pollution, through litigation, fees, and taxes, and eliminating federal fossil fuel subsidies.
    • Generating $6.4 trillion in revenue from the wholesale of energy produced by the regional Power Marketing Administrations. This revenue will be collected from 2023-2035, and after 2035 electricity will be virtually free, aside from operations and maintenance costs.
    • Reducing defense spending by $1.215 trillion by scaling back military operations on protecting the global oil supply.
    • Collecting $2.3 trillion in new income tax revenue from the 20 million new jobs created by the plan.
    • Saving $1.31 trillion by reduced the need for federal and state safety net spending due to the creation of millions of good-paying, unionized jobs.
    • Raising $2 trillion in revenue by making large corporations pay their fair share of taxes

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

We are going to raise $3.085 trillion from an industry that is going obsolete?

What about the loss of income tax from the loss of jobs found in the fossil fuel industry?

Corrosion likes this.