1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[OFFICIAL] Bernie Sanders for President thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 19, 2019.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Maybe in SC, but everywhere else Bernie was the clear victor for young voters. Not just liberal voters, I'm sure even moderate neolibs think of themselves as very liberal any way, but among young voters I think it is clear they prefer Sanders.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Right, every generation is shaped by their world.

The future generations of Americans see their planet on literal fire, rising education costs, healthcare issues, so they are turning to something else to fix issues that they see affect them and their future.

The only thing that can stop this is if Biden gets in there and actually proves that his way can work for them. If we see more half-measures than people should prepare for an AOC presidency, not that she'll be president, but someone on the spectrum like her could very well do it in 8 years from now.

joshuaao and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I think the same I just don't think they are necessarily the future of the party, I don't see them being very politically engaged beside support for Bernie.

4. Major

Major Member

Young people want to be inspired and excited and they don't care as much about process or history or local elections or things like that. That's always been true. The hippies of the 60's were no different. But as they get older, they get more pragmatic and focused more on their immediate needs (family, etc) and come towards the middle. That's sort of the cycle of politics. The young people that loved Obama in 2008 are in their 30's or 40's now and have shifted towards the middle. The young people of today in 2028 or 2032 will do the same, and they'll be replaced with a new crowd of young people.

Corrosion likes this.
  5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If they are not the future of the DNC then the DNC has no future. I think they are behind Bernie because he supports policies they support, I think there will be other Bernie's, we already have a few right now, I don't think progressives just go away if Biden is selected, not at all.

While you may be right that they are more excited for Bernie, I think Bernie will be able to pass the torch to someone else and I think a lot of progressives will get behind whoever is promising the ideas they want to get behind.

RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

This. While we cannot assume someone currently 18 will be a liberal at 60...... we can look at particular attitudes and beliefs and see that they tend to carry over as a generation gets older. What happens is that they become accepted and are not as political. An example would be rights for black people or homosexuals or now decriminalization of mar1juana.

What is likely is that some of what Sanders and his progressive wing of the party are fighting for will just become standard in the next 20 years.

Ten years ago I would have told you that we would not have a single payer medical system in my lifetime. Right now I would estimate that there is a greater than 60% chance we have one in the next 10-15 years. The writing is on the wall, just like it was with many other movements that aligned with a generational attitude.

jiggyfly, joshuaao, RayRay10 and 2 others like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think there are some systemic issues that have been trending for multiple decades now that actually if persisting with the same rate indefinitely will resort in undesired violent type revolution. It seems inevitable in society.

Your argument suggests the cycle of violent revolutions don't happen. We maybe only be a few decades away from violent retribution if these trends that have existed for multiple decades don't change direction.

Nook likes this.
  8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Once Biden wins the nomination, will the Bernie bro’s show up to vote??

MiddleMan likes this.
  9. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Not me. You can sheep up to your Trump and others to their Biden.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I've posted data that just says otherwise. People just don't up and change their political ideology often. How many people past say 25 just go "Oh, never mind about all that left wing stuff, I'm actually pretty far right." or vice versa? Of course there are exceptions but most people know their politics pretty well going into their 30s. But if this were true every country would be near the middle as there are always more older people than younger people in todays world with higher life expectancy, but we know that's not true, some countries are further left and some are further right...like what we see happening in Europe, it's getting dragged more to the right because of Immigration.

There just isn't data to say that Millenials and Zoomers are going to become more conservative because they have children. They believe that Bernie's policies are better for their children. You may not agree, but they think M4A and affordable education is better for their children and their immediate family. Most arguments I hear for these policies is that it is best for the country moving forward.

They will only change their mind if Biden and others prove their policies will work for them than their world will change and their opinion will change.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If you are happy with Trump administration, so be it.

Corrosion and Nook like this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

If you think this man can beat Trump. Or in the miracle if were to win would be able to have a stress filled job and run it competently until almost the year 2025.

13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Here's another. If you take the time to watch both videos. Please tell me if you think it inspires ANY confidence.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

My bad. I thought that was 2 different vids. It is just one long one though.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I was a Warren supporter but now a Bernie supporter, I know a lot of Bernie supporters and I tell you all the same thing.

Think about the environment, think about SCOTUS. Letting Trump win assures him ANOTHER SCOTUS judge, RBG is already pushing it.

Roxfreak724 likes this.
  16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

There is no conservative/liberal hard line definition. As @Major pointed out, as people mature, they become more centrist. What defines centrist today will be very different in a couple decades. Topics young adults today find passionate may not exist in the future, however they are not necessarily going full progressive on tomorrows debates.

17. pirc1

You can vote for who you like in the primary, everyone can have their say, but in the general election, if you don't vote for Democrat nominee, you might as well be voting for Trump. I like Biden more than Sander(I think he is too extreme), but I will have no problem voting for Sanders in the general election.

What you say about Biden can be said about Sanders, if you think he can beat Trump, you are dreaming. :)

I wish there were better candidates, but here we are, you play with the hands you are dealt with.

T_Man and JayGoogle like this.
  18. pirc1

No problem.

19. Roxfreak724

Roxfreak724 Member

Bernie vs The Establishment Machine

Was gonna happen sooner or later. Disappointed that Obama was involved but I guess it's to be expected.

Warren staying in the race continues to baffle me, if there was ever a time Bernie needed a progressive ally it would be now.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

It's like a good kung fu movie -- there's the one strange loner and you don't know which side (s)he'll take for the big final fight!

Some good monster movies are kind of like this too.