1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Athletics @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 15, 2022.

1. RussE

RussE Member

With a 2.09 ERA

2. Qan

Qan Member

Dusty won't because the Astros were expected to be good, and just because...Astros.

3. Yordan The Great

I did and at some point when it appeared that Montero had righted the ship, I actually gave props to Dusty for having Montero become the interim closer while Pressly was out.

13 in 33 and BMoney like this.
  4. Yordan The Great

The Orioles manager is running away with this thing. Forget the Mariners manager, what has he really done?

everyday eddie likes this.
  5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Not on Clutch Fans. They think he should be fired.

6. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Just keep rollin boys...

This pitching staff has a chance to become legendary of the course of the next month and a half. I knew we would be good, but it's still remarkable how consistent and dominant we continue to be.

13 in 33 likes this.
  7. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Good...but not THIS good. IIRC, a number of sites/publications predicted us to finish 2nd or even 3rd in the West after the loss of Correa (and Cole, and Springer).

13 in 33 and marks0223 like this.
  8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The media bias on those projections has been palpable since 2020.

Even with the loss of Correa, there was no reason to believe this team would be struggling to win this division. They just get enamored by the Angels payroll and the Mariners pluckiness (previously the Rangers payroll and the A's pluckiness) to try and create a narrative that the Astros aren't the class of the division anymore.

At the beginning of the year, I said I was most excited about seeing what a full year rotation of Valdez, Javier, Garcia, Urquiddy could do... this was while I was hedging that JV would have a transition year back and LMJ would also probably be eased back in a limited role.

Now you've had all of that come to fruition... along with a dominant bullpen that doesn't get overtaxed, and it makes a helluva lot of sense why this team is on track to finish with one of the best Astros winning percentages ever.

Nook, JeeberD, RussE and 1 other person like this.
  9. Elienator

Elienator Member

No one predicted them to be this good. Pretty much everything I saw prior to the season predicted the Astros to win the division with a win total in the low 90s. A lot of publications said it was more likely the Astros would be challenged in the division and could finish second or third, but still predicted Astros to win it.

If the Astros wind up at 105 wins (their current projection), then Dusty will get some consideration for the award. I don’t think he will win it.

13 in 33 likes this.
  10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It's got to be Brandon Hyde. The Orioles should have a 30+ win improvement. The Mariners win 90 games last year and will win 90-95 this year unless they go crazy the last 20 games.

Nook, Elienator and Stephen66 like this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

According to CFs, The Astros are underachieving on their way to 102 - 107 wins.

12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

While the Astros not winning the division were dumb picks, I don't fault the projections for not realizing the Astros pitching staff would be on pace for the 2nd lowest ERA in the AL since the DH was established. I have been amazed by the Astros pitching, and I really liked the staff going into the season.

crose, Nick and Tomstro like this.
  13. the shark

the shark Member

Does ANYTHING ever come out of your piehole that's positive?

Stephen66 and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wait, is there anything POSITIVE posted about this team by CF posters who only think how bad the lineups are every day or what Click didn't do to get "better players" in the offseason or at the trade deadline? All I see is b**** b**** b****ING...

15. SuraGotMadHops

that's 102 - 107 wins IN SPITE of Dusty ok?

16. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What Click did right. Signed JV coming off TJ. Added Mancini and Vasquez at the deadline. Maybe trading Odorizzi for Smith. Jury is still out.

18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I don't believe James occupied a 40 man slot while on rehab, So another move will have to be made to the 28 man but will not affect the 40.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Exhibit #1.

20. SuraGotMadHops

I can't tell but I think you may have missed the sarcasm.