1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Athletics @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

Osuna has 106 saves and 20 blown saves.

Half of his career blown saves were last year when he had a lot of personal issues.

He has been 20/23, 36/42, 39/49 and 11/12 in his career...... 67/77 outside of his outlier season.

He isn't Kimbrel or Chapman but is in the class right beneath them.

3. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Well that is just dumb speculation. Read Astroball and get back to me (at least the first few chapters). To insinuate that he doesn't have desire or hunger is lazy and just flat out wrong. C'mon dude, you can do better than that.

Major likes this.
  4. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

Correa's down 170 OPS from last year and 100 OPS from his 2015-2017 which include numbers from his rookie season.

His strikeouts per game in 2018 are the highest at any point in his career. He's 24 years old, so we can safely rule out physical decline.

Did he really just start seeing the ball poorly in 2018 or is it a possibility he isn't as focused? If it's flat out wrong that his hunger may not be there, then what is the issue in your opinion?

These aren't small production drops. Dropping 170 OPS year over year is staggering. It's the difference between being a superstar and slightly above average. I doubt you could find more than a handful of guys in the MLB with a bigger dropoff and within that subset, he may well be the only guy under the age of 25 experiencing it.

I haven't read Astroball, but I will at some point. Astroball was written recently though, so it hasn't contemplated 2018 Carlos Correa.

Players do experience motivational declines, especially after winning a Championship. It's not an indictment on Correa; it's human nature. The correlation between motivation and performance is very very strong in any profession, including sports.

Tomstro likes this.
  5. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Excellent summary on the current state of Carlos Correa. He has more talent and potential that any one that has ever worn an Astro uniform but something is holding him back. I am with you in hoping that Hinch finds a way to push the right buttons to get Correa's motivation and focus back to optimum level.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Man, there's a lot of bullshit being peddled in here... so much that people are starting to confuse it with actual facts.

Nippystix and YOLO like this.
  7. jtexan

jtexan Member

Correa's problem is NOT motivation, he's well aware of the fact that his next contract could be one of the biggest in all of baseball. I truly believe the root of Correa's problem is over thinking and over analyzing. He wants to be great so bad that he's trying to be a perfectionist at the plate. It's kind of like a great golfer rebuilding his swing to get better--there's just no need to do it. My advice to Carlos would be simple...see the ball, hit the ball.

8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Isn't that the nature of the message board and social media age? Opinions turn into facts in people's minds. We live in a post factual world these days.

bigdaddy likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I guess. Discussion in here typically gets analytical and preconceived opinions get either proved or disproved with actual data.

Right now, I see a lot of bullshit theories... and opinions that will change on a daily basis whether or not this team wins/loses... moreso than the norm.

bigdaddy likes this.
  10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Welcome to the GARM

Oh wait...

11. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

This is definitely possible. Could also be both. Started with a bit of complacency and now confidence has taken a hit since he's used to performing like a megastud.

Either way, we sure need him to find his groove back over the next 5 weeks.

12. theimpossibles1

This. When I see him (and other guys) taking called 3rd strikes over the middle of the plate it really grinds my gears.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Epic thunderstorm going on right now. Glad we have a roof.

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

All theories aside, the Facts/Stats say only Bregman of the core 4 has progressed this season. Altuve is somewhat acceptable considering where he came from, but Springer and Correa have clearly underperformed this season.

The 2018 book isn't finished yet, so time will tell.

I'm still VERY confident if we're healthy for the playoffs. If the flip switches, and they ball out, nobody would be surprised.

15. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

No we had all stars and an mvp plus top notch pitching ! These a’s are the 2015 Stros for sure

16. theimpossibles1

Nothing makes me feel alive like a wednesday day game.

Let's go Astros!

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Pics, or it didn't happen.

;)

18. Major

Major Member

There are plenty of guys that fall of a cliff at times, and even at that age. Just look at Odor last year and his 150 OPS drop. Bryant this year has had a 100 OPS drop. Bryce Harper had a 300 OPS drop, then a 200 OPS rise, then a 130 OPS drop. Young players are inconsistent by nature. Beyond that, how many guys under 25 have back injuries? Until his injury, his stats this season were right in line with his career averages, though not as good as last year, which remains the outlier thus far. He has taken a tumble since coming back. That suggests injury more than motivation.

Also, his problems are exclusively at home this year. His career doesn't have a home/road split, and his road stats this year are in line with his career numbers. So unless he just doesn't train hard or pay attention at home, this theory doesn't fit the evidence.

#458 Major, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    bigdaddy, Bob Barker 007 and jcee15 like this.
  19. Bob Barker 007

There’s Gurriel grounding into another double play

20. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Had a feeling Yuli would kill the inning with a double play there. He's become a double play king as the year has gone along.