1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Yankees

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes... and Gomez and Giles

It's still early, but I'm concerned.

2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Gomez is hitting .500 over his last one games

Correa is hitting .000 over his last one games, striking out in half of his at bats

3. The Beard

What are you doing putting a logical post in here, haha

Giles had 116 innings of relief work that says he is dominant, two HRs don't change that

Rough series for pitchers, heck even Keuchel gave up 4 walks which is super rare

Yankees scored the second most runs in baseball last year I believe...and that was with Teix missing a large chunk of the year, they are healthy and added a nice offensive upgrade in Castro to their MI, and the weather was brutal

If we go dominate Milwaukee (who isn't good), the World Series talk will be back hahaha

162 game season, 159 left

4. The Beard

Certainly it's ok to talk about bad results, and it sucks to lose

But the people saying the trade was a bad one because of 2 HR's, lol

5. The Beard

Cosart for Marisnik, Martes and Moran

Marco Duarte for Marwin Gonzalez

J.A. Happ and others that did nothing, for a package including Musgrove

Brett Myers for a package including Devenski, who looks good and was just brought up

I could find more pretty easily, those are just the ones that came to mind

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well, Giles has 5 years to change your mind. As it is, it's highly unlikely what they gave up all turn not only into for sure big leaguers, but successful ones (or ones that have had the level of success that Giles has already had in his brief time).

There will be more trades like the Giles and Gomez ones. You don't waste prime years of Keuchel, Altuve, Springer and Correa waiting for double A prospects to figure it out. You supplement them with big league talent NOW.

As long as they keep signing their draft picks, I'm confident the farm will never bottom out again.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Beard

Not just that, but the depth that we still have in the system is strong.

There won't be a place for all of them, so you move some of them for a piece here and there. The key is figuring out the right ones to let go of, and the right ones to keep. The Luhnow record isn't perfect obviously, it's not an exact science. People can always turn to talking about JD Martinez, passing on Bryant, Rodon...there are so many players involved in a baseball organization that there will always be a lot of misses

Bottom line, he took over a terrible organization, and it's one of the absolute best in baseball now

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The beard , I'm certain the ja happ trade was an Ed wade deal . I'm almost certain that the Brett Myers deal was as well . Hell Marwin may have even been a wade pickup ??

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

^^ nvm I stand corrected . I just looked those up . Nice moves from the beginning of lunhows tenure .

10. The Beard

Wade traded for J.A. Happ, but it was Luhnow who traded him away

Both the Happ and Myers trades were mid-season 2012 trades, Luhnow came on board in December of 2011

Almost positive he is the one that acquired Marwin also, I know Marwin's first year with the team was 2012 and he was acquired that offseason

11. Major

Major Member

Astros probably don't make the playoffs without Gattis, Kazmir, and even Carter last year. Maybe not without Lowrie's awesome pre-injury part of last year as well. People just like to remember the ones that didn't pan out.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Luhnow also never gave up or dumped Keuchel, when it would have been very easy to do so (given the rest of the stuff from the previous regime that got dumped, or experimented with and then dumped).

Getting a cy young winning, 200+inning workhorse ace left-handed pitcher... basically makes the 1+ years of total experimentation worth it. (and yes, I was always questioning whether or not the process was necessary... as it was embarrassing and was making a mockery of whatever baseball fans Houston had left).

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

weather nerd #1 reporting.

The Weather is a bit like baseball in one way. You have facts in the present that point to a probable future. It did indeed look like a rainout based on the facts yesterday. We also do this with our baseball team. Like the weather, often times we are right, at others, couldn't be more wrong.

I dont :)

14. cangrejero51

cangrejero51 Member

The Good:

Correa, White, Valbuena, K, Gregerson, Tucker

The bad:

catchers

The Ugly

McHugh, Feliz, Fiers, Giles, Marwin

I like the at bats by Valbuena, trying to put the ball in play, opposite field, and not only looking for homers

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agree on both counts. Sometimes, just a change of scenery fixes things. Unfortunately, the scene in Milwaukee (weather wise) may not differ that significantly from where they just were (NY). After three there, we go home and wont face the possibility of cold weather again until the 25th at Seattle.

If we cant fix things in Milwaukee, I have little doubt we will when we go back to Texas for the next thirteen games (3 of those in Arlington).

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Milwaukee has a dome (retractable)... guaranteed they won't be playing in bad weather.

17. The Beard

The weather may not be much different in Milwaukee, but the lineup we are facing sure will be...which doesn't always mean anything in baseball

18. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

I've only been able to watch one game so far (Damn you busy season) but I'm really impressed with Valbuena/White and Tucker at the bottom on the order. Gomez seemed to have a bounce back game offensively and I'm not to worried about him as other people are on the board. I'm just glad baseball is back!

19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Altuve has been pretty silent so far and when he Springer and Correa are all "on" at the same time, watch out! If only we could get some production from the catch position, this team will be unstoppable. (and our pitching reverts back to form)

20. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

It's one series! Relax... this team will likely look very different than they did this first week. Wow, we drop 2 of 3 on the road in very cold weather and some people are comparing us to the current Rockets and lamenting "failed" trades... Get a grip.

R E L A X