1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Yankees Wildcard Edition

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2015.

1. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Who is saying it is not a big game or even more important than most playoff game? I still stand by the fact that it is a play-in game and in my opinion, whoever loses didn't actually make it to the real playoffs. Just my opinion.

My point is we need one more win to really seal the deal.

1 person likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

MLB certainly considers it a playoff game, but you have the right to call things whatever you want i suppose

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Generally opinions are just that - an opinion that is neither right nor wrong. In this case, it is wrong. The Astros are, indeed, in the playoffs regardless of your opinion.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

That's the exact opposite of a fact. The fact is this is considered a playoff game by both MLB and the media. Because you don't want to call it that, doesn't change it. :)

It's like someone arguing that technically someone isn't a rookie in 2015 if they didn't meat the required ABs to lose rookie eligibility in 2014 when in fact technically they are a rookie in 2015.

5. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

The fact that the Astros are playing in NYC will give some of our players the noteriety they deserve.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The word "playoff" literally describes what is happening tonight.

Not you, necessarily, but people are calling in saying this isn't the "real" playoffs, or some consider this no bigger than just regular season game 163.

Then again, you just literally said the loser doesn't make it to the "real playoffs" which really doesn't make much sense either.

When MLB first put the wild card in, did people consider the LDS not to be a "real playoff" since for the last near-century it was just LCS and world series?

Or do you consider every baseball game that doesn't involve at least a 5 game series to not really be a playoff?

7. RocketManJosh

Yep and that's why I disagree with MLB just like I disagree with the NCAA for calling the play-in games in Dayton the first round of the NCAA tourney .. haha.

If you want to call it the playoffs, then ok, this is the wild card playoff to get into the real playoffs :)

This is a really important discussion, and the funny thing is that I am as happy as anyone to be in this play-in game with a legit shot at the real playoffs

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

We will all be factually correct and call it the playoffs. You will be factually incorrect by not considering it a playoff game.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Do you call the first round of the NFL playoffs (wild card games) the play-in games too?

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

OK, touche. :)

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Yordano Ventura will start Game 1. Johnny Cueto will start Game 2. Gentleman Ed Volquez will start Game 3.</p>&mdash; Andy McCullough (@McCulloughStar) <a href="https://twitter.com/McCulloughStar/status/651438819691102208">October 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It's not that we want to call it the playoffs…it IS the playoffs. It's not as sexy as a 5 game series, but it's still the playoffs. That's not the definition that we, as fans, have made up.

MLB playoffs are comprised of 3 division champs along with the teams possessing the next 2 best records.

Again, it is a fact that this is a playoff game tonight. It's not subjective. If you don't put much weight into this game and don't want to consider it the playoffs, so be it.

13. RocketManJosh

Agreed, so its a playoff game, just not the real playoffs yet :)

14. RocketManJosh

Because you are all dying to know ... I consider it to be the real playoffs when at least 50% of the remaining teams are actually playing in that round. So yes, wild card round of NFL is the real playoffs.

Man, I'm ready for the game to just start :)

15. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

God, still 6 1/2 Hours :mad:

I almost wish I had to work today, instead I'm just watching the clock.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

go stros!!!!!! so hard to concentrate today! :):):)

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

lol, arbitrary again.

How someone doesn't think it's the "real playoffs" when the "real regular season" is over is beyond me. You're effectively saying there's some undefined space between the 2

19. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I'm so nervous about the game I might just pass out.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Visiting team has won 4 of the 6 <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WildCard?src=hash">#WildCard</a> Games, outscoring home team by a combined total of 14 runs over the 6 games. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/PostseasonProgram?src=hash">#PostseasonProgram</a></p>&mdash; FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBONFOX/status/651456232650182656">October 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>