1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Twins

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 11, 2021.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Thank you Twins for Pressly!

2. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

Froze his ass to end it!

J.R. and Rock Block like this.
  3. RussE

RussE Member

That’s a winner!

4. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

HUGE GREAT win!! We needed that against the bottom feeders and what occured last night.

Tomstro, BMoney and J.R. like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sneaky Martín won it

J.R. likes this.
  6. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Thanks Urquidy for going seven innings and keep as much of the bullpen from pitching.

7. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Easy to say now, but wasn't the big brain play to get Pressley in the 8th to face their 2 most dangerous hitters and let Stankek take a shot at the 9th?

bloodwings19 likes this.
  8. Screaming Fist

21 whiffs from Urquidy tonight. He’s had his ups and downs this season but I’m still high on him. Feel like he’s close to figuring things out and becoming an excellent SP.

Houstunna and Tomstro like this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dusty would have been eviscerated if he tried that and it failed.

jiggyfly and Theking like this.
  10. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I think Dusty wants his closers to close. I hope he doesn't go by the book in the playoffs.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Urquidy has been a bright-spot ever since his Game 3 vs Washington when Stros were desperate for a W.... perhaps before that but if so, I'm ignorant .

Urquidy @ #4 starter seems better than 80% of #4's

12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm glad we got the win. It is not like the ones we dominated. It's like the ones we usually lose.

JeeberD likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

What is our depth chart at SP?

1. Is it Greinke or Framber? One has experience with success and one is starting like gangbusters, but lacks a track record. Do we weight recent success, durability or reliability as most important?

Rather than answer that question, i will chicken out and pretend like it's 2019 and say 1a and 1b since they bring different strengths and weaknesses to the argument.

1a Greinke (alphabetical)
    1b Valdez
    3a Garcia
    3b McCullers IL
    5 Javier (I know. He's in the BP for the time being, but he ranks here anyway)
    6 Urquidy
    7 Odorizzi (he certainly has potential to be higher, but he needs to show it)

No Worries and PiPdAdY33 like this.
  14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's been pretty damn good his entire time in the majors, and even better in the postseason.

Some of the statements regarding Urquidy on this page are a little odd to me. I'm not sure if people don't realize how consistently good he's been, or if they expect him to be wipeout dominant.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ag
    Agreed. And if the book is out that he “throws too many strikes”, hitters are going to be aggressive on anything close, and that’s a major advantage to the pitcher.

desihooper likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If the pitcher takes advantage of it. Urquidy has the stuff that batters will swing at his change and slider if they are off the plate occasionally. It would be great if he does a rope-a-dope in the playoffs by stopping to throw center-cut steaks down Kirby.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

I’m at the point to where I consider Framber our best SP. Greinke is certainly capable of shutting down any offense but there are many variables that go into whether Greinke has quality starts- most importantly- his ability to have pinpoint control and who the umpire is that day.

If Greinke isn’t getting the calls on the black, he becomes vulnerable once hitters get into “hitters counts”.

I realize that Framber doesn’t have the extensive track record that Greinke does.... but I’ve watched Framber pitch for a few years now. Control was always his biggest issue. Last year was a revelation for me personally. Framber consistently gets weak contact with his sinking fastball that also dips away from RHB. I don’t have the data but his breaking ball has to be one of the best secondary pitches in the league.

I’d go Greinke 2. Mccullers 3.

While I believe Garcia is our fourth best starter.... I believe he will be a valuable weapon out of the pen. So I’ll go Urquidy 4

PiPdAdY33 likes this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

The best pitch is the one that looks like center/center 33 feet away and breaks to the black for a call strike or weak contact if they don't swing. Imagine Verlander's rising fastball with Urquidy's Breaking balls. In the alternative, throw one that looks out of the zone 33 feet away that break inside the black. If it doesn't catch a bit more of the plate, it will fool most umpires.

Htown Legend likes this.
  19. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If you have seven starters, you don't necessarily want the worst three in the pen. You want the three that can handle the change to BP the best.

Javier and Garcia may be better suited to adjust just as McCullers did in 2017. But they are still Starters in the long run.

20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Two teams playing to form.
    Stros scoring and Twins melting down in the late innings..