1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Creepy Crawl, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Something to consider is that Roy O, Carlos Lee and Tejada are playing for their World Baseball Classic teams. The Astros ST record likely had some impact due to that.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

didn't the 13-0 games start before their departures?

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

After. Lee was in uniform for Panama when we played them which was before the 13-0 game. The last ST game Lee played was on 3/2. The last one Tejada played was on 3/1.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I hear ya.

And I'm not telling you the 'stros will be world killers...or even good.

I'm saying that:

1. it's difficult to impossible to judge players based on 10 or so at bats. you know what blum and boone are aside from the .069 in 20 or so combined at bats...because they've both been in the league for years. blum will likely give your right around what he gave you last season.

2. if you had any idea you were going to get solid production from the catcher spot, i'm not sure where you got it. it's a huge question mark, and you didn't need very limited spring training at bats to know that.

3. they're bringing no one to play. berkman isn't playing on the road. oswalt, tejada and lee are in the WBC. the guys being trotted out are minor league players this season.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Pence hit a dinger in top of the 1st.

It looks like Paulino is struggling in bottom of the 1st (1 ER, 2H, 2BB, 1SO, 1 out).

6. BrooksBall

Paulino is getting hammered. Just gave up a 3-run HR to Kearns. 5-1 Nats still in the bottom of the 1st.

Paulino gets out of the 1st. His line: 5 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 HR, 1 SO\

1 out in the top of the 2nd. Quintero AB. Can he finally get a hit?

Answer: Yes he can... 2-run HR for Quintero, driving in Kata... 5-3 Nats with 1 out

Heading to the bottom of 2nd with the Astros down 5-3.

I assume Paulino will keep going.

Paulino gives up a single to the first batter in the bottom of the 2nd. Will he make it out of the inning?

Paulino has now given up two hits to start the bottom of the 2nd inning... the 2nd hit drives in another run... 6-3 Nats... Paulino is struggling big time.

Paulino limits the damage giving up 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB in the 2nd... 6-3 Nats heading to the 3rd.

Bourn leads off the 3rd with a double and Erstad eventually drives him in on a flyout... 6-4 Nats.

Capellan replaces Paulino in the bottom of the 3rd and gets 2 quick outs.

Make that 3 quick groundouts for Capellan. Nobody gets on base against him in the 3rd.

Heading to the 4th.

Bourn has a chance to drive in a run after Ramirez singles and Manzella walks with 2 outs but he flies out and it stays 6-4 heading to the bottom of the 4th.

2 perfect innings for Capellan (4 groundouts, 1 flyout, 1 strikeout).

Going to the 5th still 6-4 Nats.

Pence having a good game as he leads off the 5th with a triple.

Erstad grounds out but Pence scores. 1 out in the top of the 5th, Astros down 6-5.

Blum walks but not much else happens. 6-5 heading to the bottom of the 5th.

Capellan gives up a double in the bottom of the 5th but nothing else. Over 3 innings of work, Capellan gives up only 2 hits. He induced 5 groundouts, 2 flyouts and struck out 2.

The score remains 6-5 Nats after 5.

#106 BrooksBall, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  7. cardpire

cardpire Member

wow. already getting pummeled 5-1 in the first. this is getting entertaining.

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

K, I'm not nearly as worried then.

I hate not having the games on tv here. That first one on ESPN was great. Can't wait till the regular season.

9. BrooksBall

I enjoyed that game, too, until the late innings when the commentators wouldn't stop talking about steroids and fantasy baseball. I don't think they made a single comment about the game in the last 3 or 4 innings. :mad:

10. BrooksBall

11. cardpire

cardpire Member

Q went deep. congrats buddy. you just won the starting catching spot on the 2009 astros. and i wish i was joking.

12. BrooksBall

He may get it for opening day but the guy doesn't hit for power or get on base. I'm guessing he will struggle early in the season and somebody else will start getting the majority of starts. Then that person will struggle and somebody else will get a shot... This may go on all season.

13. cardpire

cardpire Member

i dont see what the point is about him worrying or complaining about oswalt at this point. of course they are going to pitch him 70 pitches if he's not getting rocked. that's what he signed up for. shouldnt be much of a surprise.

if drayton made any sort of effort to put a better team on the field this season, i guarantee oswalt wouldnt have played in the wbc. i dont blame him. it's draytons own fault.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

:D i laughed

15. BrooksBall

Does anybody know much about Capellan? He pitched well today. I remember seeing him on the Brewers but that's about it.

16. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

Blame T-Mac

17. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

He has a good arm. I remember him being a top prospect for the Braves. He has to be the leader at this point for the 5th spot.

18. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Extra inning defeat today then. At least there were some good signs. Positives include a catcher finally getting a hit, Hunter Pence had a good game and Capellan could be promising.

Unfortunately the game could be up for Perez, who after blowing the game in the bottom of the 10th, now has an ERA of 108 :eek: lol

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Even though he has only started 2 out of 99 games he has appeared in over his career?

20. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

4-0 down again. This is getting silly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.