1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rockies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 29, 2013.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

separate question (not advocating trading him)...has he been solid defensively? i haven't had the luxury of watching the games on tv this season, but i'm under the impression that he's been borderline bad. what's the story?

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Solid is probably a good description. Most of the stolen bases are not his fault. His arm and release have gotten better since he is now recovered from his injury. Just hard to be considered good defensively with respect to blocking pitches when we have Ausmus to compare him to. Ausmus was really good defensively.

4. bobrek

How will we know if he can continue this pace over consecutive years if they trade him before he has that opportunity?

5. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

He is 25 not 26

6. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

You know, you're right. Trade everyone for prospects. Who needs major league players anyways? They are so overrated

1 person likes this.
  7. cardpire

cardpire Member

if nothing else good comes of the big league club this season, i'm pretty ok with the development and growth of castro and dominguez.

the 2 of them and altuve are some good young pieces. this team is going to be fun to watch down the road, folks.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I've only seen a few games due to CSN but he's looked fine to me.

9. bobrek

Only in an alternate universe where it is already June 18.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Agree with this...now add Springer and Singleton in the mix and you have the base of something.

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Minor league career, he got pretty good reviews defensively.

Last year, he really struggled with past balls.

This year, outside of a couple of games, he has done a great job defensively.

Here is his dWAR numbers from BR:

2010: 0.4
    2012: 0.5
    2013: 0.6

Yesterday, Harrell wasn't doing anything to hold guys on. I know on the double steal, nobody even moved to cover 2B.

12. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

he is 26 next week hth...

13. XIrocket

XIrocket Member

Ok if this work for at the trade deadline is he will be 26...Does this work buddy?

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Doesn't matter. He's a centerpiece of the rebuild. Castro, Altuve, and Dominguez are here to stay. JD Martinez might be making a case for himself, too. You have to find the point where you stop automatically selling and start building. They are at that point. These 3 (maybe 4) are the ones that will be the veterans for Springer, Santana, Singleton, Cosart, etc.

When this team becomes a contender using mostly homegrown talent, this will be the point that you look back at as the beginning.

15. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Agreed. They are past the point of shedding moderate to high salary players and are now waiting for the prospects they've acquired to work their way up. We knew they'd be bad while we wait for some of these players to establish themselves. Castro and Altuve are still young and under club control for a few more years. The FO has to take advantage of these contracts before they are eligible to start making big money.

To trade the young, inexpensive players who might just now be producing is counterproductive. People who want this will be the same people in 3 years that are screaming that the team still sucks and that they won't support such a loser.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I wouldn't call any of those guys centerpieces, but they are young pieces. I like Dominguez's defense and power, but .267 OBP and .677 OPS is trash.

I'm hoping Singleton, Springer, and Correa become our centerpieces.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We certainly shouldn't be in a hurry to sell young guys who are under control (unless a team gives an offer you can't refuse).

Castro is a FA in 2017, most everyone else is 2018 or later.

18. TimPoopura

TimPoopura Member

Yeah the next step in Dominguez's game has to be the OBP. It is downright atrocious right now.

Fortunately, he's still 23 years old. If things don't change over the next season and a half, then the great Dominguez experiment may be ending. Hell, by that time there might be someone else in the system ready to take his place.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Fun series. Just watched the highlights of the last few games. Good stuff, nice hitting.

Really tired of the CSN fiasco.

20. bobrek

Hmmm, according to my calendar June 18 is in almost three weeks.