1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Reds

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 2, 2024.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I tend to think the players have a lot of say in directly what happens. After that, the GM and front office have more of an impact in extra innings as having better relievers available and better hitters for the manager to pick tend to matter more than a manager's ability to pick (i.e., managers tend to pick better players usually if the front office gives them to him).

2. Nick

Nick Member

The Braves have one of the best records in extra innings and one of the worst records in 1 run games.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

The Cincinnati struggles are all @MadMax 's fault.

Bill Doran was born there

MadMax likes this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Nobody bunts anymore. Nobody intentionally walks guys anymore.

Giving up outs and intentionally allowing baserunners are 2 of the worst things a team can do according to MLB philosophy 2024.

Everyone hits the ball as hard as they can and hopefully in the air, every at bat. Giving themselves up or trying to hit to the right side, etc. are totally foreign to current strategies.

Sacrifice flies are probably the one exception because hitting the ball hard in the air is what they are trying to do anyway

5. MadMax

MadMax Member

And he works for their organization now.

I was there the night he was inducted into the Astros HOF wearing my Doran jersey, because duh. (Took a great pic of me and my sons that night that I love so much!) A guy approached me while I was buying a beer to say that he loved my jersey and he named his kid Doran! Incredible. My older son has my mom’s Irish af maiden name as his middle name…my same middle name…but I didn’t name a kid Doran. I do have a younger son named William though :) — after my dad. I did actually check into the hotel on my wedding night as Bill Doran cause I was terrified my friends were gonna do something stupid. On my wedding night I was, according to the hotel, Bill Doran, and if my wife is smart (she’s smarter than me) she’d be good with it…she’s stuck with me now after 27 years :)

The next day after Doran was inducted into the Astros HOF I was running errands and listening to the game on the radio. I had to stop in my car and listen to MY BOYHOOD HERO talk about how lucky he was to be an Astro with the guys on those teams…his role in developing Biggio…and how proud he is watching what the Astros have become while he’s in the Reds organization. He was so gracious about the city (my home not his) and the organization. I didn’t cry, shut up dorks…you’re all crying, sissies!!

Stephen66 and Houstunna like this.
  6. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

Cool story bro. Congrats on 27 years

Bill named his son Ryan, because of Nolan.

Too bad that team never saw Scott pitching Game 7. Houston Sports. Really want the current team to win at least one more -- thus having a *legit* argument for greatest non-Yankee dynasty in baseball history. 2019/2021/2023 should've yielded at least one more, and only saying one is being generous.

MadMax likes this.
  7. raining threes

They're over coming their managers weaknesses.

8. raining threes

So the one run record is the GM's fault.

OK, it's everybody but the managers fault.

9. raining threes

Yes they both have failed, which is why Chas got sent down, (This season has beena failure) and why Meyers is a 4th OF that's starting in CF on a championship level team.

10. raining threes

Teams win 60 games a year

Teams lose 60 games a year.

That means there are 42 toss up games. A manager can make a difference in 20 of those games. Those games decide who makes the playoffs. Espada is -5 so far in those games IMHO and the team has been able to overcome their rookie manager. What a dynasty Luhnow built.

Houstunna likes this.
  11. raining threes

Agreed, but they need to Shore this up for the playoffs.

Small ball matters in the playoffs.

12. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Lol there is no chance a manager can win or lose 20 games compared to another manager. Y’all are ridiculous.

Edit: FYI if the manager really had this big of an impact to where the best could potentially win 10+ more games than the worst manager given the same roster, they would be making a hell of a lot more money than they are making.

Counsell got the largest contract in history as a manager for 5/$40M. By your logic, he should be worth WAY more than what a 5th starter makes. But I guess every front office is stupid…your back of the napkin math based on emotions is definitely valid.

#1012 Htown Stros, Sep 7, 2024
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2024
    Tomstro likes this.
  13. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Rack Him!!!!!

MadMax likes this.
  14. raining threes

Maybe Counsel is over rated?

15. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

That wasn't a f***ing strike to Tucker

16. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Tell me about it!!

Houstunna likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

In layers of blame...
    Randomness

Players
    GM/front office/development staff (sum of everyone in organization not including the manager)
    Manager

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member