1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

My name is un-slumpy... I like my oatmeal lumpy

Screenshot_20230830-002823_Gallery.jpg
    200.gif

IBTL, Viol8r, deb4rockets and 5 others like this.
  2. Houstunna

Supporting Member

3. Yordan The Great

If the Astros can go 19-9, that's the 95 win mark and enough to win the division.

4. Yordan The Great

Here's how we get to 95 wins:

Beat Boston tomorrow
    2 of 3 vs Yankees
    2 of 3 vs Rangers
    2 of 3 vs Padres
    3 game sweep of Athletics
    5 of 6 vs Royals
    2 of 3 vs Orioles
    1 of 3 vs Mariners
    2 of 3 vs Dbacks

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

This is 96 wins (20-8)

But maybe we shock the world and win 100 again.

ryan_98 likes this.
  6. CinematicFusion

Would Matt Moore be a good pickup for the pen?
    I’m sure the Rangers will go after him

“Who gets the players will be determined by reverse order of record. The team with the worst record that puts in a claim on a player will receive him. And there are going to be plenty of claims put in from playoff-caliber teams that need a starter, bullpen help and bats.”

No Worries likes this.
  7. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Duster did this same **** with the Reds,. Nats, Cubs ... it's not any different now just that Astros pitching has been so good Duster couldn't screw it up with the lineups... until this year.

Dusty hates Diaz, he came over in the Myles Straw trade. Only uses him because he's forced to. Now that Brantley is back, you won't be seeing too much of Diaz. Look how Duster threw him under the bus lately.

8. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

You will thank Dusty for that. As will Diaz, the city and the organization.

The Beard, Stephen66, IBTL and 8 others like this.
  9. SuraGotMadHops

Astros letting Texas and Seattle get ahead of them in the standings so that they get better dibs on waiver claims.

[​IMG]

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I honestly don't think there is anything personal in any of Dusty's decisions.

I just think he honestly thinks that this team has 13 position players that are MLB players and can start anytime he wants, but only a precious few have reached the "everyday player" level.

I have no idea if there is any set criteria.

Once a player has earned that level I think he keeps them there regardless though.

Maldy, Abreu, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Alvarez, Brantley, and Tucker are "in the club" and he will only sit them if he has to because of health issues (especially Abreu and Brantley) or regular rest required ( catcher - Maldy)

He feels the rest of the roster needs occassional starts to stay fresh and ready but there are only so many spots left to play them.

For some reason only known to Dusty, Chas and Diaz haven't made it yet, so they are logically (in Dusty's mind) the ones who sit when the other guys need starts.

It's enfuriating seeing Dubon start in CF and Chas on the bench in a must win game, but 1) Dusty doesn't believe in must win games outside of the playoffs and 2) Dusty has confidence that guys like Dubon or Meyers aren't a step down in productivity.

He is simply old, set in his ways, and out if touch.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love Alvarez! Great to see him getting back to the powerhouse he was before his injury.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. Screaming Fist

What are the odds any of the players the Angels released would even fall to the Astros? Would seem they would get scooped up by other teams first like the Giants, for instance.

13. SuraGotMadHops

I was annoyed that Dubon was starting in CF over Chas, but then he had 2 rbis and a razzle dazzle catch. Sometimes it works out, I guess.

14. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Why is Singleton still on the team?

The Beard and Stephen66 like this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The closest position player (not catchers) in value to Chas that has less PAs without a significant IL trip is Luke Raley, who is utilized as a platoon bat with 90% of PAs coming against RHPs*. Chas is clearly the most productive player not to be have reached his manager's view of everyday player for most of the season.

*Why can't the Astros get their hitters with a platoon advantage? Chas is basically robbed PAs equally against LHPs and RHPs despite being the 4th best hitter in baseball the past 2 seasons against LHPs. Meyers...almost 2 out 3 PAs robbed from him is from LHPs (If Meyers never played against a RHP, but played every game against a LHP, I think he would have provided more value than he has). I don't know why Alvarez plays LF so little against RHPs when there were only 2 other OFs that can hit RHPs prior to Brantley, but plays often against LHPs when the Astros have 4 other OFs that can wreck LHPs.

The Beard and Wulaw Horn like this.
  16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Because there needs to be 13 position players and there is nobody in AAA that would be an improvement.

Singleton has actually been very acceptable as a backup 1B.

Out of 17 position players who have seen the field for the Astros this year, he is 6th in OBP and 9th in OPS.

17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree it would be nice to use platoon advantages more.

But part of the problem all season has been the lack of versatility among run producers and outfielders.

Anyone who could start in place of Chas vs a tough RH pitcher is worse vs them but also very good vs LHP and would benefit from getting those starts instead of Chas.

Hopefully Brantley can change that.

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I think Chas has shown real improvement vs RHPs and really shouldn't be replaced. I expect it will regress some. To get better platoon advantages, Diaz never sitting against a RHP since May when he was heating up, Chas and Meyers always play against a LHP, Maldy plays more vs LHPs and less vs RHPs (even if it was a 1 for 1 switch), and Alvarez playing 95% of his OF time against RHPs. This mitigates the problems against RHPs a little by keeping the guys really bad against RHPs on the bench, but really puts the LHP killers in there more.

Kim and IdStrosfan like this.
  19. CinematicFusion

So he can start today

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Last year, Dusty was old, set in ways BUT in touch? The 2022 Astros were not a 106 win team on paper.