1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 28, 2023.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Still gotta get outs. Lineup construction moot if Javier has piss poor control again.

he did smoke/mirror his way to a “quality” start. But his stuff was just as bad as Frances was three days later.

astros123 and CinematicFusion like this.
  2. Yordan The Great

That's definitely not true, in fact it's the exact opposite, we need the best lineup possible tonight if Javier struggles.

3. Yordan The Great

Y'all are a GD joke when it comes to Julks. He's actually produced this year for a good chunk of his ABs this year.

You having Singleton ahead of him speaks volumes to your extreme and undeserved hatred for the young man.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

So is Dusty going to be playing Brantley every other game?

5. Yordan The Great

RIP Diaz' PT

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Chas could be Thor Odinson from the Battle of Wakanda at the end of Infinity War, but get moved down in the batting order because he didn't go for the head.

dookiester and Wulaw Horn like this.
  7. Yordan The Great

My worst fear is us Houston fans coming to dislike Brantley being in the lineup over Diaz after he has only 3 RBIs in 40 ABs and a .240 BA.

I pray I'm wrong.

2 more months until Dusty is gone.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Their 1-6 is pretty much set if no injuries. Next step is nit picking the batting order.

They need to know who a potential #3 starter for the playoffs could be. It should be Javier… but he’s become the most unwatchable starting pitcher.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

The #3 starter in the playoffs absolutely cannot be Javier- unless he has a really good at least 3 weeks to finish it out. The way he's pitched the vast majority of this season has been basically unplayable in the playoffs, while Brown and JP France have been plenty good enough to deserve to get the ball.
    I say that as a HUGE Javier fan.

Tomstro and CisBuds4U like this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

This is where I'm at. I will be in a low key rage every time Brantley starts against a LHP and everytime he bats 2nd, and everytime he banishes Yainer to the bench. So, pretty much Brantley coming back, which should be a boon (if he hit 7th and platooned with Meyers v LHP and Brantley v RHP) will end up sending a better hitter to the bench while not fixing any of our other problems.

Tomstro likes this.
  11. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Javier's last 10 starts he's gone 46.2 innings and given up 38 Earned runs. 26 walks, 39K's, 11 HR's.
    ERA ran from 3.25 to 4.52. Just a tour de force of suck.
    Before that his peripherals were bad but he was getting it done decently without the swing and miss that he's had earlier in his career. He's imploded. I wish we would have put him on the DL for a month when Urquidy came back just to see if re-setting him could get him right. I assume he's out of gas but that might just be a hope, because if that's not what it is that extension this offseason, which I loved, is going to be a big problem. This team needs Javier to be really good to continue to be a world series contender into the intermediate term future.

astros123 and Tomstro like this.
  12. ktex

ktex Member

This is what's going to happen, bank on it. I love Mike but his return is only going to murky the water even further since Dusty is such a stubborn mule. If he wasn't- we'd haveMike at DH/LF Diaz at either C or 1st and we'd be golden.

#52 ktex, Aug 28, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2023
    Wulaw Horn and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

That you accuse me of hatred is insulting.

Julks has had some good games, but his metrics AND results throughout the year have proven that Julks is not at the same level as other MLB hitters.

Baseball Savant measures 11 metrics of a players hitting ability. He has a Max EV in the 70th percentile. The other 10 metrics are 47% or less with 6 of them below 25%

He plays a position that requires positive offensive production and he is well below average.

As for Singleton?

OB% Singleton .333 Julks .297
    SLG: Singleton .362 Julks .352
    OPS+: Singleton 92 Julks 78
    BB%: Singleton 17.5%, Julks 6.8%
    K%: Singleton 15.8% Julks 23.2%
    XBH: Singleton 8.5% Julks 6.7%
    R: Singleton 14.0% Julks 10.8%
    RBI: Singleton 14.0% Julks 10.2%

So you tell me how me having Singleton above him "speaks volumes to your extreme and undeserved hatred for the young man."?

Now tell me who is the joke?

Stephen66, dookiester and Tomstro like this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

But if someone is upset over Julks and his .245 BA (.297 OBP) and 33 RBI in 298 ABs then it's "hatred the young man does not deserve"

astros123 likes this.
  15. dholi_1

dholi_1 Member

flyball pitcher with control issues at fenway...yikes

Justin Thomas and astros123 like this.
  16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

His issues this year have really been 1-2 innings, the 4 and 5th batter of opponents and HR's on the road. He also may be pressing or being too predictable anytime he falls behind in a count.

17. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

Don't worry, he has Maldy, the pitcher whisperer, to guide him through any rough seas. o_O

Stephen66 and astros123 like this.
  18. CinematicFusion

19. Radricky

Radricky Member

I don't hate Julks.
    In fact I really like him as a dude and think he can be a valuable player.
    That being said I'd much rather Singleton stick around as a pinch hitter/ abreu rest day option.

20. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

How many innings does Javier go tonight and how many earned runs does he give up? I say 5 1/3 IP and 4 ER.

CisBuds4U likes this.