1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Red Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 8, 2021.

1. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

If we lose today, that thread title better get changed back to the way it was!

2. TMackin713

TMackin713 Member

I see that odorizzi is pitching tonight. Does anyone know what's going on with this guy? 0-3 and only 16 IP. Is there any hope he can turn this around? Is there a chance we cut/trade him? I feel like we need one more reliable SP, along with some additional bullpen support if we're really going to contend this year.

TWS1986 and conquistador#11 like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure whether it will work out or not. Stanek looked really good in April. He pitched a lot in April. Is his subsequent even poorer control, but sub 4 ERA good luck, or is it bad luck that he's pitched more than he's capable of pitching well?

All I know for sure is that the players Dusty trusted with a lot of innings and a lot of high leverage besides Pressly in May performed worse than guys that were used very little and in low leverage situations. On the plus side, Joe Smith is looking better. Still not good, it is bad sign if he's on the mound, but isn't the molotov cocktail thrown on top of jam that he was.

4. Buck Turgidson

Stanek has great stuff, he showed it early in the year, but then he just completely lost the ability to throw anything but his FB for strikes. And sometimes not even that.

jiggyfly and jim1961 like this.
  5. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

ryan_98 likes this.
  6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

According FanGraphs, Astros are 4th worse at baserunning and 3rd worst at OF throwing. Dusty isn't wrong here. I just wish it was easier to find video of base running mistakes by certain players. Gio Urshela's baserunning is rated almost as bad as the entire Astros, and I am curious to see what that looks like.

Here's a game losing tootblan by Urshela, but I am sure there are other interesting plays:

Astrodome likes this.
  7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Just a post to get the alert

8. mightybosstone

He was really solid two starts ago against San Diego. Only one ER in 5 1/3. His last start against Boston was atrocious, though, so I'm hoping tonight he offers a better showing than he did last week.

I don't worry about the Astros starters, though, if I'm being honest. Right now, Odorizzi feels like the one weak link. If Greinke, Valdez and Urquidy all stay healthy, Garcia pitches like he has lately and you get McCullers back, they're actually going to have that rare good problem of "who goes to the bullpen?" For the postseason, I definitely feel good about them having four quality starters.

The Astros have holes, but the starting pitching just doesn't feel like one of them. If anything, they need to add 1-2 quality arms to the bullpen.

Astrodome and jim1961 like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

10. RussE

RussE Member

Joe Smith, Injured list….right elbow soreness. Bielak recalled. Joe may be near the end.

11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

@Buck Turgidson cough cough

12. Buck Turgidson

We covered this...They don't take enough extra bases, but they don't make outs doing it. They also don't try to steal, so they don't get thrown out stealing.

Station 2 Station.

Many of them do lots of things very well on the bases, others not so much.

13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

How much actual time is spent on fundamentals after spring training?

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This. If I recall correctly he had a shaky first inning, got out of trouble then mowed like 14 in a row down. If he can get stronger and eat innings, he should start all season. Very nice problem to have if he bounces back.

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Would be nice if Odorizzi had a good start tonight. Would love to see him get it going.

16. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Someone prophetically asked him to retire a few games back......

17. Rock Block

Supporting Member

The booing of Altuve by Red Sox fans is so NYY moronic, ironic and what hilarious idiots they are

18. Rock Block

Supporting Member

great throw. YA hit it too hard lol

Marshall Bryant likes this.
  19. RussE

RussE Member

Cora and Marwin should be booed but they play for Boston.

Dam out at home:(

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Poor Gary Pettis took the slander all these years…;)