1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 24, 2023.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That would be funny. He’d still probably be less valuable than Altuve but it would at least be close.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His range is almost certainly better than Altuve's, but how often is a better arm really going to come into play at 2B?

3. Buck Turgidson

Most every 5/6-4-3, most every ball hit to his right

CheezeyBoy22, Bregatron, Nook and 3 others like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I mean, it's not as valuable as on the left side but you still have to make throws and turn DP's, a strong arm helps quite a bit if the ball arrives faster.

Tomstro likes this.
  5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

beautiful comeback. Still though, gfy

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Turning a double play and Altuve is also prone to throwing errors which cost us in the playoffs.

Tomstro likes this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Dubon is absolutely the better defensive player.

Altuve will be our 2nd baseman.

that’s it

8. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I guess my point is, the throws at 2B are much shorter than say SS or 3B, so the reduced time it would take for a throw to get to 1B is much less with a higher velocity throw. I'm gonna throw out some fake numbers to illustrate:

Let's say Altuve can throw max 80 mph on average. Let's say Dubon is 15% faster than that, so 92 mph. I have no idea what either throws but those numbers wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

Now let's say the average distance to 1B or 2B on fielded balls is 70 ft. The distance between bases is 90 ft so that number is probably high, but they wouldn't be right in the middle of the base path and the other fielder can stretch out a solid 5-6 ft so I think 70 ft is reasonable.

A ball thrown 70 ft at 80 mph would take 0.6 seconds to arrive. A ball thrown 92 mph would take 0.52 seconds. If you ramp it up to a 100 ft throw, the difference becomes 0.11 seconds.

So I guess what I'm asking is how often would that 0.08 seconds be the difference in an out or a single?

9. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

Throwing errors don't really have anything to do with strength of the arm.

10. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

lmao.

MadMax likes this.
  11. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

dare i say Dubon is also a better base runner? lol

toby and seemoreroyals like this.
  12. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

In case anyone was wondering, I did a little more research and it looks like Altuve has maxed out at 80 mph, but averages more like 75 mph. Dubon's average is more like 86 mph, so the difference in my hypothetical above is about right. Also, the average distance a 2nd baseman throws is 75-80 ft, so I was pretty close.

Tomstro likes this.
  13. rockbox

No doubt, Altuve will be our second baseman until the wheels fall off and then he will be our DH.

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Depending on how bad they fall off, and if the vehicle still needs to move ( it could just be useful parked like an RV) it may be the right thing to do.

How many people were telling to resign Yuli and he is not nearly as accomplished as Altuve.

15. rockbox

When I say a stronger arm, it also implies accuracy and from different body positions. I'm not just talking velocity. It's the ability to make a throw. Fielding is footwork, positioning, glove work, and throwing. Dubon is vastly better in all 4 areas. Is it enough to to displace an Astros legend who is top 10 in the league offensively? Hell no!!! But it does make you feel a little bit better when Altuve is out.

16. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Its his bday

desihooper likes this.
  17. rockbox

Yuli's wheels haven't fallen off. It just only runs well during the playoffs and odd number years for some reason

18. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I will say that I think Dubon has shown enough that he's probably good enough to back up 2B-3B without Hensley. Have Diaz (or Julks if he survives Chas and Brantley call ups) backup 1B.

Wulaw Horn and rockbox like this.
  19. SuraGotMadHops

Julks has never played 1B even one time in his professional career. Positions matter, that's why there will be dilemma when Brantley and Chas return, because LF is Julks' most suitable OF position. He has played some 3rd, 2nd, and SS in the minors.

The way Meyers is going, Chas and Jake can platoon CF, Brantley and Yordan will toggle LF/DH...Chas can also tackle LF. Really not certain where Julks fits the puzzle if/when all of the outfielders are at full strength.

20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with this.

As good as Julks has been, there simply isn't a spot for him.

My understanding is that he simply isn't good enough to be considered for 2B, 3B, or SS at the MLB level. Similar to Taylor Jones and 3B the last couple of years.

With only 13 position players and a 4 player bench no team can keep 6 players who are OF only, especially if 3 of them are mostly limited to the same single OF position.

At least not a team expecting to win.

The Beard likes this.