1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Rangers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Chris Carter deserves a statue outside MMP...

RayRay10 and Kim like this.
  2. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Guy had the BEST pokerface in the history of baseball.

Kim likes this.
  3. HTown2017Champs

The Good:
    Bregman homered again
    Blake Taylor was solid
    Reddick got 2 hits
    Urquidy gave up only 2 runs in 7 innings (would like more K's too, though those did tick up near the end)

The Bad:

Not the strongest of offensive performances
    Ryan Pressly just needed one more strike
    Paredes did not do his job
    Too many hits given up

The Ugly:
    Blowing it in such fashion
    Urquidy let this Sam Huff guy own him (3-3 with 2 HR against him)

Regardless, we are playoff bound! Thank you Dodgers (as weird as it may sound)

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Hopefully the postseason second chance wiping the slate clean gets the boys going.

RayRay10 and STR8Thugg like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

Yep, he's got his career OPS up over .660 now. He would be a fine backup catcher right now I guess, but they wanted Maldonado in '19, thus he got traded.

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

The Astros had a mediocre third of a season not a mediocre season. They deserve the playoffs because they made it and because teams can be mediocre to even absolutely shifty for 60 games during a real season and still make it in. Time to jump back in and take another title.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I thought this would happen after the Dodgers game... then I thought it would happen after the Mariners game... then I thought it would happen after they crushed the Rangers.

Im as optimistic as anybody... but they’ve been trading wins, playing .500, for almost a full month.

that being said, if they continue their current trend of winning every other game, they actually win the first round series... but lose in 5 in the ALDS... which is probably their most expected outcome (minus somebody getting very hot).

8. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Backed right into those playoffs, boys. Well done!

9. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Who cares how it happened. We are in now, let's make the most of it.

Rock Block and raining threes like this.
  10. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

I mean, I care some haha. We're limping in to the playoffs and the only thing that saved us was the expanded playoff format this year combined with the Angels and the Mariners being the Angels and the Mariners.

That being said, I sure hope being in the playoffs sparks some kind of fire in them. They've been just putzing around for the last month and a half and I'd really like to see that change.

Hank McDowell and RayRay10 like this.
  11. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Holy crap. Gibson has an ERA near 6, Lyles has an ERA above 7. I expect us to score 2 runs in the next 2 games then ;).

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Oh, I'm certainly not expecting anything from them at this point. After a few weeks with everybody available, facing terrible pitchers and still doing nothing I've largely written them off.

3 games barely even constitutes a series so anything could happen, but this offense suddenly looking good would be a huge surprise beyond that. Its particularly frustrating because the pitching staff, which by all account should be where we're struggling, has carried it's weight.

raining threes likes this.
  13. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I'm just hoping for a full Astros troll job. Offense explodes, pitching goes off, etc.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Have the Astros had more losses this year in a 60 game season where they had a lead in the 8th inning or later than in the last few years combined?

The playoffs won't have the runner on 2nd rule for extra innings, so there's that.

15. conquistador#11

pop champagne like we won the championship.

raining threes likes this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Were not ****ing cowboys fans. Celebrating that win over Atlanta like they actually won, instead of Atlanta losing.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I actually feel slightly better about the offense yesterday - at least it was competent at times. That could not be said for like 2 weeks before that.

18. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Pissed that the Dodgers didn't pitch that headhunter. I wished he pitched in a Dodgers win, or lose last night. It would of been better if he gave up runs last night and get banned for life for altering the game.

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I didn't watch, but aside from the walk, what did Paredes do wrong? Synopsis shows a failed fielder's choice after the walk. What happened?

RayRay10 and raining threes like this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Poor location on an 0-2 pitch. Was lucky that Solak didn’t hit a HR and end the game right there. And this was after the walk.

Pressly didn’t throw a bad pitch. Guzman went down and got it. Don’t know what his hot zones are in that location... but if he feasts there, then they obviously should have stayed away.