1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Phillies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 5, 2014.

1. vstexas09

vstexas09 Member

good night fellas

sigh

2. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Rangers win tonight. #1 pick still always and perpetually in reach.

3. The Cat

The Cat Member

Robbie Grossman's arm might be the worst of any RF I've ever seen. I know this isn't exactly new knowledge, but it's astounding to me that a MLB-caliber OF can have an arm that poor. Sigh.

4. raining threes

That's what you get when you have a LF playing RF.

Thanks Porter, cant wait for Springer to get back.

Great game.

5. The Cat

The Cat Member

Also, I can somewhat understand waiting on Qualls, but throwing Veras/Buchanan over a rested Folty is inexcusable from Bo Porter. This is exactly the type of situation it would be ideal to see Folty in for his development and to get him some reps.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Hard to blame the pitching on this one. Veres threw 6 pitches and got 2 outs.

7. juicystream

juicystream Member

I can't complain about how Bo used the pen. You have to know Peacock isn't likely to go past the 6th inning, and now every pitcher save for Downs & Buchanan is potentially available today. The offense failed, particularly Matt Dominguez & Marisnick.

Philly on the other hand is starting a rookie pitcher with a very depleted bullpen behind him.

8. juicystream

juicystream Member

Problem is, the 2nd best OF arm on the team is Marisnick. After him, are a group of LFs (I forgot Santana is here, so he'd be the best RF of the rest).

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Yup, sound down, music on especially when it's Ashby and Blum. Whenever I have the misfortune of hearing them, it seems they're never talking about the game.

At least I was able to finish my book last night (Steve Earle's I'll Never Get Out of This World Alive).

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So far, Marisnick reminds me of a right handed Jordan Schafer (who I now get to watch on the Twins).

11. MrBear1

MrBear1 Member

Marisnick looks like he has absolutely zero plate discipline.

12. Nick

Nick Member

If they're looking to dump Fowler in the off-season, since he apparently makes too much money for this franchise, Marisnick is going to need to do show something these next few weeks (presuming Fowler will never come back).

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Has this been indicated by anyone?

14. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Member

I would say I miss Jim Deshaies color commentary, but then I'd actually need Comcast.

15. Nick

Nick Member

There have been rumblings (the same rumblings that had them trying to move Castro last off-season).

Besides, if Marisnick is projected to be an everyday player, it would be as a CF. He would be a cheaper option than Fowler, who likely would be getting $10 million/year starting next season (just trying to think like Luhnow at this point... obviously Fowler is the better overall player, but if there's a suitable replacement, his money can be re-appropriated elsewhere).

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Who's rumbling? I follow the Astros pretty closely and unless it was that ****face jjdo, I haven't heard anyone say that they're looking to unload Fowler in the offseason because he makes too much for this franchise.

17. Nick

Nick Member

I read it on BP awhile ago (while Fowler was actually playing)... Pallilo brought it up yesterday as something the Astros are likely to explore... and Luhnow has said (albeit via his cryptic non-way of saying things) that the goal has always been to be in the position to have as much flexibility as possible when the team is looking to make a big push to contend (in 2-3 years).

Fowler will be a free agent in 2016, and between him and Castro (if they keep them both), they'll be making close to half of what the entire payroll is now starting next year.

Again, if Marisnick (or any other CF prospect on the cusp) doesn't look like he's going to pan out, they'll have to hang on to Fowler for next year (presuming he ever plays again)... but if they have viable backup/younger/cheaper options, I would agree with re-allocating his salary elsewhere.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Fowler so far has been so much better than anybody they have run out there they would be insane to move him. Just because they have a replacement doesn't mean they have an adequate replacement. Aside from Springer the rest of the OF's have been absolute garbage.

If this franchise moves him because he makes too much, I would have a major problem with that, and I've been one of they guys defending their spending habits. I think this is just random "Astros are cheap" conjecture, and not a likely outcome, although he certainly shouldn't be untouchable if a massive offer is made.

19. Nick

Nick Member

I don't think it would be an "Astros are cheap" move... he is great, and he's going to get a substantial arbitration raise next year (and will be a free agent the year after). This franchise is not in the position to have a $15 million dollar per year player on its everyday roster yet, and at his current trajectory, that's where he will be next off-season.

Even big market teams have to make decisions on guys like Fowler... elite lead-off hitters who play plus defense are going to be very expensive. If his salary prohibits adding extra bats or bullpen help, I don't see what the big deal is.

And again, the key is that they would have an "adequate" replacement... if they don't, they keep him till he becomes a free agent (and likely don't re-sign him at that point).

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I could see the Astros trading Fowler to obtain younger players that can help in the future, obtain a good MLB player at another position, or open room for a younger player at his position. Astros won't trade him for a cost savings. Fowler is on a very good bang for the buck type contract.

I suspect these type of contracts are the ones Luhnow will want to keep at least until the last trading deadline under contract unless a better player/prospect is offered.