1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Phillies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 23, 2010.

1. DontTradeOswalt

You kidding me? They showed a 5 sec highlight yesterday because Halladay lost, Phillies just got their ass kicked and ESPN ignores it. They were red hot and then Houston came in and put them out. Unfortunately no love for the 'Stros.

Anyway, 1.5 games behind Milwaukee and their losing right now

Wandy has a 3.87 ERA, that's amazing considering it was over 6 a couple of months ago

2. msn

msn Member

yeah, but they're *supposed* to lose those games. they were *supposed* to lose at least three of these, too.

thing of beauty, when your lousy team plays scrappy and sweeps a playoff hopeful. beautiful.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Brewers down 7-1 for anybody tracking the all-important battle for 3rd place in the NL Central.

4. updawg

updawg Member

Just arrived in Philly today to visit family. People aren't happy up here. I loved watching today's game

5. BrooksBall

Howard went 1-for-16 with 10 SO in the series and that 1 hit barely made it out of the infield.

He had only been back for 2 games before this series though after missing 3 weeks with a sprained ankle.

#305 BrooksBall, Aug 26, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  6. msn

msn Member

The Astros are 41-35 since 1 June.

Can you imaging being 41-35 the last week of June?

I *do* hope they take third. Get as high as you can in the standings. Win as many games as you can. Sure, the only ranking that matters is FIRST, but still put as many teams under you as possible.

Astros are 6-6 versus the Brewers and 33-24 in the NLC this year. They have a decent shot at 3rd.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

astros/phils game that went extras the other night was the top story the following morning on SportsCenter.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Fixed that for you. :grin:

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Maybe it's just me but I would be happier if we ended the season at or above .500 rather than finishing ahead of the Brewers. If .500 is unattainable, then I guess third place is the next best thing.

10. msn

msn Member

:grin: :grin:

11. BrooksBall

I agree with that, esp. since the likelihood is that we'll do both if we finish at or near .500.

12. msn

msn Member

completely agree. that seems quite out of the question, however. so, being the winningest loser, so to speak, will have to do for this year.

it's infinitely better than watching Lance and Carlos walk to first on ground outs and watching Feliz and Matsui yawn through sub-Mendoza performances while the team languishes at a .330 "winning" percentage.

infinitely better.

13. msn

msn Member

yeah, they'd have to go 23-12 the rest of the way to finish 81-81.

that ain't happening.

14. BrooksBall

I didn't get the impression that Berkman was slacking.

He may have been a little discouraged with himself at times but he tends to bring the right attitude to the game regardless of cicrumstances. I think he also said that the knee was still a bit of a problem at times even several months into the season.

Everybody has their moments over a 162-game season. I actually saw somebody criticizing Bourn not too long ago for not running hard to 1st base. I missed the play but the poster wasn't the type to say unreasonable things.

15. DontTradeOswalt

As long as were better than the Cubs and the Brewers, the season was a success considering we started 0-8

16. msn

msn Member

Slacking, no. Bored out of his mind, yes. Also hurting with that bum knee. Basically a player who simply wasn't having any fun any more. No fun to watch, even as much as I love the guy.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It could. Schedule isn't that bad down the stretch. But I agree very unlikely, but at least we should be able to avoid losing 90 when it looked like we were going to lose 100.

18. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

3 @ NYM
    3 vs STL
    3 @ ARI
    3 @ CHC
    4 vs LAD
    3 vs MIL
    3 vs CIN
    4 @ WAS
    3 @ PITT
    3 @ CIN
    3 vs CHI

As someone already pointed out we have done really well against the rest of the NL Central this year (33-24). Consider that includes a 2-7 against the Reds, and it is even more remarkable.

If the Astros can at least win 3 of these STL/NYM games, I think there is definitely an outside chance. After that, most of the tough/toss up series are at home: LAD, MIL, & CIN.

19. BrooksBall

Yea, I agree with that. Bored is a good term. I think a lot of the vets particularly have looked that way on and off this season.

20. DontTradeOswalt

Jose Reyes re-injured his oblique and might miss the Astros series...in that huge ballpark with his speed and considering the Astros play close games, that's great news for the Astros.