1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Phillies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Cooper and Garner did the same things in this situation. If you blamed Garner before when this type of thing happened, then you have to blame Cooper now.

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

At least people will start to appreciate the iron-clad consistency of Chad Qualls.

Valverde needs to pick his game up, he's in a contract year isn't he?

3. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Borkowski has a 3.60 ERA, Brocail a 1.35, Georry a 3.38, Moehler a 4.91, Wright a 3.86.

The problem isn't our bullpen as a whole...the problem is Villareal (6.00) and Valverde (7.50 and rising). And the problem is that we don't have a replacement for Valverde like we have had in the past...Dotel for Wagner, Lidge for Dotel, Wheeler for Lidge.

Now I can understand Lidge not being here...he was dealt for Bourn. That's fine. But Qualls is looking mighty good right about now.

4. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

One would hope.

5. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Stopped paying attention after the 8th inning...friend from Philly drops me a text, "How bout them stros?".

I knew right then that Valverde is a piece of crap.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

What really hurts is the game could have set the Stros up for a series win (with Oswalt and Backe pitching in the next games) or sweep. Now we have to hope Oswalt is his old self and can square up the series.

7. Fiah

Fiah Member

Chad Qualls has a ERA of 0 with 8 SO's and only three hits aloud. :mad: :mad:

8. askball

askball Member

this one really hurts. my roommate from colorado stated that the stros would blow it in the 9th. Let me tell yall something, it does not feel good when a rockies fan can gloat 10 minutes later. Cecil is garbage.

9. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

Exactly!!

10. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Another quality start gone to *****.
    This sucks.
    Valverede is a piece of crap. The only good year he had was last season...he's been crap before and he's crap now.

11. T Rex

T Rex Contributing Member

It's like 2007 all over again with Valverde playing the role of Lidge......only worse. And just like last year, it's clear what needs to be done. Valverde (like Lidge last year) gets demoted to middle relief and our set-up guy, Brocail (like Wheeler last year) becomes the new closer. Valverde could be a effective guy pitching in the 6th or 7th inning, but right now he doesn't have the mind-set (or the location on his pitches) to close right now. Pitching, as Chacon showed, is more than throwing the ball hard. It's location and movement and right now Valverde has neither.

Pending a few more starts, I get Nieve up here too cause he's got nasty closer-type stuff.

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

...and he is 7/20 for his career in save opps.

Qualls is a solid setup man, not a closer. He certainly hasn't done much to prove he can close when given the opportunity. I'm not saying I don't wish we still had Qualls in the bullpen, but we had to have a closer and we had to give up something to get that closer. That meant also giving up Burke.

As frustrated as people are with Valverde right now, it's early and we needed to part ways with Lidge. Lidge needed the change, too, even if you believe his fall off was due to injury. Once the stimulating effect of the new environment passes, I believe he will start looking like the same guy we saw the last two seasons.

Meanwhile, Valverde is obviously MUCH better than this and the best (and only) thing we can do right now is hope he turns it around.

#92 BrooksBall, Apr 15, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No, the only bad year he had was last season. (2004 was mediocre, 2003, 2005 and 2007 were great). Check the numbers. I'm as angry as anyone, but let's stay within reason.

14. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

Cecil is just a dumbass for this. Chacon was brilliant and there was no need to insert crapverde.

15. BrooksBall

Actually, not counting the START to this season, he has only had one bad season as a pro (2006) and he didn't pitch the whole season. Plus, he rebounded very well in 2007.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Man, this sucks.

Thats all I can say right now

17. Fiah

Fiah Member

It looks as hes short arming the ball or somethin....every pitch is dead right down the pipe.

18. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

arg. Again save and save percentages are terrible terrible stats to quote when evaluating middle relief pitchers. If you are going to quote Qualls save percentage at least only quote save opportunities he had when he came into the game to start the ninth (or later) with a save opportunity. Otherwise that 7/20 doesn't mean anything, because most setup men or middle relievers will have similar numbers.

19. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Thank God I left in the 8th ...

Got to hear the 9th in the car as I drove home, and my buddy (a Phillie fan) went nuts and cursed himself for suggesting we leave early.

My only consolation was that he at least didn't get to see it. :(

20. BrooksBall

Giving up a lead is giving up a lead. A save situation is a save situation.

Either way, I'm just trying to shed some optimism in here.

You gotta believe Valverde is eager as hell to make up for his start to this season.