1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Phillies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 13, 2007.

1. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

damn what the ****'s up with the weather this season.

there's 5 other cancelled games today too.

2. MadMax

MadMax Member

it's all this global warming we're having. ;) coldest April on record in the northeast, as i understand it.

3. Zac D

Zac D Member

Matt Smith, yeah. But generally when a team goes to its closer, they're not going to yank him for the situational lefty.

That inning went Everett - Loretta for Quintero - Palmeiro - Biggio - (pitcher spot).

Certainly saving one of the power lefties for after Biggio, which couldn't be anything but an RBI situation, is defensible, but why not PH for Everett (who, granted, absolutely had a nice at-bat) or use one of the lefties instead of Loretta for Quintero?

I think the sequence of at-bats made the inning easier on Gordon than it had to be, and ending a game with both Lamb and Scott unused seems like a guarantee that the Astros didn't put forth their best offensive effort. Shouldn't one of those guys find a way in the game when you're losing in the ninth and the 7-8-9 spots are due?

4. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

Hmm. Astros.com is showing Moehler as the expected starter for tomorrow's game. Wouldn't they just have Wandy pitch monday and Sampson on tuesday now due to the rainout?

Not that I really like Wandy, but Moehler isn't any better, and if Wandy doesn't get at least a little bit of work in sometime, i'm afraid he may be even worse than he usually is whenever he finally does get the chance to pitch.

5. mateo

mateo Member

It was 72 in Central Park on Jan 6.
    Insane winter up here.

6. Uprising

Uprising Member

Damn these cities and their inferior ball parks!!!!!! :eek: :mad:

7. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

Per astros.com, Wandy will start monday at minute maid and Roy O will start tuesday's game. Chris Sampson will be moved to wednesday.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

What was the nickname Burke had for Quintero again? When he announced the lineup on Fox.

9. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

I believe it was Purpura Jr.

10. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Member
    Supporting Member

I think he called him "The Hit Machine". That's what it sounded like to me, anyway.

11. JaWindex

JaWindex Member

Yea but he said it like "heat masheen."

12. Pocket Rockets

so roy is going on 3 days rest?

13. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

Wow, I hadn't realized that. But yep, that's what they are doing. Roy on short rest. Not sure I like that this early in the season.

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/...t_id=1900119&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

Just realized that Joseph Santoliquito probably needs to double check the spelling of his articles (Simpson and Rodrigruez), but even with the typo's he's not as bad a writer as Alyson Footer.

#253 Aceshigh7, Apr 15, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2007
  14. Zac D

Zac D Member

lollerskates

15. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Member

I never claimed to be a professional writer. :)

16. Cannonball

Cannonball Member

This story has to be factually incorrect. If Sampson and Oswalt are going to pitch in the same series anyway, why not go Sampson then Oswalt? Sampson already has enough rest and Roy would go on full rest. If this is true, and Garner does this, he should be strung up.

17. Major

Major Member

From the article:

"He did throw a number of pitches, but he's going to be fine," Garner said. "I wanted to give Sampson another day."

Sampson last pitched on April 10 in Chicago. He threw five shutout frames against the Cubs but was forced to leave the game after straining a muscle in his left calf. He will make his next start on Wednesday in Cincinnati, which will give him seven full days of rest.