1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Phillies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 4, 2006.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

After drafting Mario and DeMeco Ryans, the Texans deemed the o-line was a higher priority than the secondary. I agree with them. You can't fix it all in one year when so many things are broken.

Here is a thought about Reggie Bush: Maybe he's a tweener RB/WR. Either he's good enough to do both very well (i.e, he's a superstar player) or he's just good enough not to do either well enough on a full-time basis (i.e, he's destined to be mediocre to above-average). If Bush isn't effective running the ball, his value decreases dramatically.

It's too early to tell. Just a thought.

2. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

A running back should be gaining yards on the ground.

I'm not saying Reggie Bush is a horrible player because we can't tell for sure. However, if you're creaming over 75 yards receiving and 6 yards rushing, it's a good thing you're not running the team. Eventually, if RB can't prove he can run effectively, defenses will key on his pass catching abilities and he won't be useful there, either.

Mario Williams may not have been the best pick, either. Or Vince Young. Or Matt Leinart. It's just the arrogance of those claiming Bush is nothing short of the second coming of Barry Sanders annoys me when the guy has yet to prove that he can do what a running back does. RUN the ball.

8 catches for 70 yards is great if it's in addition to 70-100 yards rushing. That would be a solid day. adding that to 6 yards on the ground tells me that the only way they could work him into the gameplan was to pass the ball.

3. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

Manny Lawson (Mario's teammate at NC State) has 2 sacks for the Niners today. Maybe we picked the wrong NC State guy.

4. twoface723

twoface723 Member

Even if Bush didn't do to well today, he was still more productive than Mario Williams.He would have helped this team and it irks me when people deny the fact.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Actually Reggie Bush would be a PERFECT back for David Carr.

Just watch Bryan Westbrook at Philly ...60 yards rushing, 60 yards receiving.....he is a HUGE weapon on the dump off, and with this lousy line giving Carr a decent dump off threat would be massive !!

DD

6. camisgirl

camisgirl Member

I know that's right. What were we thinking?

7. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

Mario was beating his man consistently all day and getting penetration. He didn't make any sacks or tackles for loss because Manning gets rid of the ball to fast to sack him, and Mario was fooled on some plays. But he showed the ability to pass rush and get into the backfield and it looks like he is close to putting it all together and having a big game very soon. wouldn't be surprised to see him have a breakout game next week.

8. bplld

bplld Contributing Member

We have a lot of good wide recievers, i dont see a big deal to make out of bush being a good reciever. The texans needed a db over a wr. When carr had time he made great passes and the recievers were making plays.

9. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

hate to say it, but watching the Cowboys tonight...The Texans need to take a page out of Dallas' drafting history and learn something....

10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

These are good points. Similar to most in the media, Bush supporters try their best to make the most out of Bush's numbers. Eight catches is nice for a RB...it's nice to be a dual threat. But if you can't be an every down back then you are not worth the #1 pick and the contract associated with it.

Bush has yet to prove that he can be that type of player. Only time will tell. All of the backs that he is being compared to were EVERY DOWN BACKS, not scatbacks like Metcalf, Pittman or Westbrook.

11. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Cowboys looked good tonight. I was pleased. Demarcus Ware, everyone should watch out. People are talking about Shawn Merriman, but Ware is going to be great as well. John Madden was gushing about him tonight.

12. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

MARIO WILLIAMS is a poor man's DEMARCUS WARE !!!

He should be playing like Ware was last yr for the Cowboys!!!!

Mario you're the freaking #1 pick DO SOMETHING!!!!!

13. JamesC

JamesC Member

I think its more because Bush is devastating in the open field. That is when he is in his element.

14. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I agree with that. Just as it is arrogance on the haters part to say that Bush will be a bust as an RB after he clearly has (and has shown) a great deal of talent.

As I've said before; it has been ridiculous on both sides. He could be a bust. Mario Williams could be a bust. Both could be stars. To be so dead-set sure at this point makes no sense to me. With every game that passes though, that picture will start to become clear.

However, we've gone up against some of the best in the NFL to measure ourselves. This is both a blessing and a curse. Because right now, after this little measuring stick, we need help just about everywhere.

It makes no sense to say that a guy who clearly is effective in different ways would not be beneficial to this team.

Again, though I don't side with either of those extremist groups, it should not be ignored that they handed him the ball all of five times. Yet as a talent, he still had some production for the Saints. That's not something to dimiss. Even though they didn't bother to run him, he still was able to make something happen out there.

I sure as hell don't think that's a bad thing.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

no. no, he wasn't. wishful thinking. he did sometimes. but not anything approaching consistently. hell, he was on the bench for a good part of the first half.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So were all the D-lineman. The Texans rotate all their D-linemen.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it just seemed like an inordinate amount of plays for a guy we're trying to develop.

i'll still stand by my point, though...he wasn't consistently beating his opponent.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I don't disagree with that, but people are making it seem like he's being benched, which isn't the case.

I said a few days ago that Kubiak should stop rotating him around the D-line. He should just stick him a left DE and leave him alone.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Clearly on his way to moving completely out of the backfield and becoming the best slot receiver in the NFL. Congratulations New Orleans, you are paying the next Rocket Ismail $55 MM.

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

It was actually 6 rushes for 5 yards...with 6 of the yards coming on 1 carry. Therefore, the other 5 carries netted him -1 yards.