1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Phillies

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Sep 4, 2006.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

But don't you think Kubiak knows his system well enough to make a decision whether Bush would fit the system and help Carr? I for one wanted a QB this draft because I don't think Carr has what it takes to take us to a Super Bowl. As good as Bush can be, we still had a 1,000 yard RB in DD and a system that never required a stud back.

With that said, no matter who we would have picked, I'm going to give him more than 1 game to prove to me whether he was the right or wrong pick.

Even though I don't really like the guy, McNair had a pretty good explanation for the pick. "You're not going to outscore the Colts, even w/ Bush, but if you can get to the QB and play defense, you have a better shot at winning the game."

2. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Also you have to relies that Carr is being paid $8mil per yr :rolleyes:

and Mario is the #1 pick over BUSH

Is not just about them being "OK or GOOD" They are #1 TOP $$$ Players and I'm just saying THEY ARNT WORTH IT.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I may come back to gloat then. We'll see.

EDIT: Oops, I wasn't supposed to come back. OK, I'm outta here starting........NOW!

;)

4. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

I think the Texans committed too much $$ on Carr/DD already, so that's why they went with the D'fense side of the ball also. After giving Carr the $8mil extention and DD's new contract they probably felt like if they SIGN BUSH then they would have committed too much on the OFFENSIVE SIDE, maybe true

but BUSH is worth the MONEY being spend on and Mario is NOT and so is CARR! Having them two is like OVERPAYING for something that is worth LESS.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

The problem with Mario is we haven't seen any flashes of brilliance from him yet in the preseason or 1st game of the regular season. I don't see the raw outside rush speed that he displayed at the combine.

He can only bull rush right now, and experienced OT's know this and are able to neutralize him. The only success I've seen from Mario so far is when he plays DT and can use his strength to push smaller guards around.

Mario is a solid DT right now, but is a project at DE.

6. gucci888

I don't think their decision to pass on Bush had anything to do with money. Kubiak had his choice of player and he went with a DE. The Broncos have never drafted a RB in the 1st Round under Kubiak and even when they had a stud RB (Portis), they dealt him for a DB.

IF it was about money, they would have picked Bush. Whatever money they would have spent on him would have come back in season tickets, merchandise, jersey sales, etc...

And please chill out with the Bush is worth it and Mario is not, it's the first freak'n game of the season. You could be right or you could be wrong, but its gonna take more than 1 game for anyone to take you seriously about it.

7. gucci888

True, but he did have a batted down pass, a TFL, and had 2 offensive penalties in half of play during one of the preseason games.

Well he'll have to learn that bull rushing won't work all the time...it's gonna take some experience/trial & error. He'll get a feel for the game and learn better technique, just like Peppers, Smith, and any other good DE did. I know we all want to see it now but you have to realize he is still a 21-year old going against very strong and smart veteran offensive linemean.

Mario wasn't going to come in a get 3 sacks and 5 TFL in his first NFL game. He'll take some time, whether its next season or the next game, but you have to give him more than 1 game to showcase what he has.

The one good thing his college video showed was good use of hands and able to get to the outside

8. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

The Texans have been screwing the pooch since day one. They used their first draft pick on Carr. Nothing is wrong with Carr, but they've put him out there for years without any offensive line. Then they draft Andre Johnson, great receiver if the QB only had time to throw the ball. There most consistent offensive player has been Dom Davis who is now hurt. So instead of picking Bush who is better then Davis and would have compliment Davis anyway, the Texans go out and pick a defensive end which is what they probably should have drafted in Peppers instead of Carr. I won't even go into all the other picks and signings that haven't panned out.

Kubiak may be doing the right thing, but it sure isn't pretty writing off the last five years as a big waste of time.

9. wood

wood Member

I think Williams will be allright..I think he's trying too hard right now, plus opponents are double teaming him...Don't get me wrong, I wanted Bush or Vince also. But what's done is done. Stop crying!!!! As fans, we need to accept what we have and roll with it. It took time for me to accept drafting Williams, but it happend. Give the guy a chance, and by that I mean a full season!

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I agree with everything you said. Texans messed up and are too stupid to realize it. Had a chance at Lebron but took Darko Millic. In a way you can say the Texans offense will be worst than last year because Carr is the same qb and the running game is not as good as it was last season.

11. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

How in the world could you have watched the game on Sunday and say with a straight face that Carr is the same QB as last year?

12. gucci888

Nevermind the fact that we've added a pro-bowl receiver in Eric Moulds, hired an offensive-minded coach, and implemented a zone-blocking scheme (which should get better in time).

Also, David Carr in his first game had a QB rating of 102 compared to last season's average of 77. As RM95 posted, everyone that watched Sundays game knows that Carr played much better than he did at any point last season (which isn't saying a whole lot) but he will not be the same qb in Kubiak's system.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

stats, numbers, blah. we must hate david carr for no reason.

14. gucci888

Did I say we have no reason to hate Carr? No, I just pointed out that Carr shouldn't be the same QB under Kubiak and has already shown improvement after 1 game. Do you not agree?

Trust me, it means a lot that I'm defending Carr for once. I was one of the biggest advocates of replacing him with VY, but I also realized that Kubiak was able to completely turn Plummer around and that there is a decent chance he could do the same for Carr.

15. jgreen91

jgreen91 Member

Everything Mario Williams? This thread should be empty because he hasn't done ANYTHING.

:)

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

FWIW, the Pistons had the #2 pick. They didn't pass up LJ for Darko. They passed up Carmelo...

This thread seriously shouldn't exist, yet. Come talk to me after this season. Come back again in 3 years.

Lucky (and the rest of the "MW Is A Bust" Crew),

You still haven't answered the question that's been posed to you numerous times. What were your feelings after Yao's first game? I seem to remember him being pretty terrible at times in that first season. I also seem to remember many of us calmoring to just give him some time. Mario has played 1 game. Please don't use preseason as part of your agument. It just makes you look more ignorant. I understand that as a Texans fan, you just want to see progress...which can only be measured by some in victories and by the number of sacks for MW by others. I asked you in another thread...what would your reaction be if he sacked Peyton Manning 3 times this Sunday? Still a bust? I'm not saying it's going to happen, but what if?

17. tested911

tested911 Member

I wish that is true and if so GREAT!!!!

But what if he doesnt turn it around next game then what??

18. tested911

tested911 Member

You know what You are right that if they drafted Bush that they would of committed too much on the offensive side

BUT.... Its frigin Reggie Bush and so far that guys is a CASH COW for NO... He pretty much pays for himself.. Think about all the plublicity TExans would of had.. The Jersey Sales.. Texans would of generated Crazy Revenues just off of Bush... I dont see Mario Williams even reaching top 20 in Jersey sales at the end of the year.

19. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

jeez, i can't people so many people are very impatient about results.

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Yea I saw how great the offensive line was Sunday. You can add as many pro bowl wideouts as you want but when you have nothing at qb it wont do you any good.