1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

{Official] Astros @ Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 21, 2020.

1. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Because Dusty Baker

everyday eddie likes this.
  2. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Eh, well they had plenty of chances with RISP but you’re going to have these games. Hopefully we see some big bats tomorrow for Beilak

King1, RayRay10 and Houstunna like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

**** game. Go get 'em tomorrow.

The Beard and RayRay10 like this.
  4. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Really surprised that Toro came up to hit instead of Yuli. Disappointed lost today.

5. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Was Baker rewarding Toro for his 3 run homer yesterday by hitting him in the 5th spot in front of one of the hotter hitters currently in Tucker? Not ph Gurriel for him in the 9th? Some head scratching managing and missed opportunities. Oh well....

6. Buck Turgidson

Scheduled day off for Yuli. You can debate the necessity of that (and not PH Yuli in the 9th, the real puzzler to me). But given that he's got the day off, you put Toro (or a RH hitter, which one though?) in between Reddick and Tucker, who along with the top 3 are theoretically the 5 best hitters available.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. HTown2017Champs

I get that today was an off day for Yuli. But he's arguably the best hitter on the team right now, so in a spot like that I believe you have to give him the chance to win (or at least prolong) the game for you. He didn't play in the field at all, and if he had to give him an off-day, just pinch run/substitute Mayfield (who was still available) for him. Not a fan of Toro's pitch selection/discipline.

8. Buck Turgidson

Not PH Yuli for Toro there was puzzling, like I said, unless Yuli has some sort of discomfort, which would be par for the course this year.

9. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Not really sure why you put Toro ahead of Tucker in the batting lineup?

10. HTown2017Champs

I feel if Yuli was hurt we’d already know, and he’d likely get sent straight to the IL. But anyway, while losses are part of the game, I’ve always insisted, that if you let them beat you, make sure they beat your best players, and not your scrubs.
    What’s an even worse offense is batting him second, which happened earlier this week.

everyday eddie and Hank McDowell like this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I've changed my mind. I wouldn't like Toro even if he learned to run the bases.

12. Buck Turgidson

Like I said, "scheduled day off", but the timing of that and not using him at PH at least....

But you never know about this discomfort that's running rampant, could be a game, could be all season.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Had the 2 huge chances early and squandered them. Often times baseball is that simple,one big hit, even an early one, will end up being the difference.

Just have to start a new streak.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. mightybosstone

I came in here to say this. When I saw the lineup card, it made zero sense to me, and the guy completely folded in every at bat last night. I'm convinced it cost them the game. Meanwhile Tucker has the hot hand and has been one of the best on the team with RISP, and he's batting sixth? If Baker flips those guys, they might have one that game.

everyday eddie likes this.
  15. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Dusty seems to manage in a very old school way, which really doesn’t mesh with the analytical way that the team has done things in the recent past. It’s like he’s putting Toro in random spots in the lineup because the tea leaves told him to do it or he maybe saw it in a dream or something. Not a huge fan of that...

16. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

I dont think the team is necessarily still going the analytical way right? Maybe to an extent perhaps? I thought with Lunhow and Hinch gone, the system would change

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I mean, it certainly looks that way now. I sincerely hope they don’t abandon what has worked so well for them, but I can’t find a logical reason for some of these lineups lately.

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Splitting up the lefties is more important now with the 3 batter minimum rule

not that Toro should be the one, but just sayin

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Astros announced they have temporarily shut down their alternate training site in Corpus Christi after a positive COVID-19 test.

James Click: "No one currently on the road with the major league team turned up as a part of the contact tracing protocols. Based on the protocols, the big league team is currently unaffected."

Astros reliever Cionel Pérez said he tested positive for COVID-19, which delayed his arrival to the club. Pérez said he was asymptomatic and it took him "about 11 days" to get the two negative tests and get cleared.

Michael Brantley has been activated from the injured list. Josh James goes on the injured list. Brantley is available tonight.

#120 J.R., Aug 22, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2020