1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 27, 2015.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Our guys are hitting the ball hard right now. According to fangraphs, the average line drive% is about 21%, give or take.

Castro 34% (really bad luck)
    Springer 31%
    Rasmus 28%
    Gonzalez 26%
    Marisnick 25%
    Lowrie 24%
    Valbuena 22%

Gattis (16%) and Carter (15%) are still low, but their numbers have been coming up over the last week.

Springer while he's still striking out a ton, over the last 9 games he has an .872 OPS. That combined with his high LD% leaves me still in a good spot with Springer even though it feels like he's been struggling.

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Looks like I picked the right year to finally be able to watch the 'Stros on TV again.

This is fun!

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I doubt armor would have prevented this injury.

4. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Yep, best off-season pickup this year. But as others have said, Lowrie is as fragile as Dexter Fowler. Sucks if he got hurt in the first month though.

I'd be surprised if Correa gets the call, but would absolutely love it. Not Luhnow's style.

5. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

It really is convenient that when the team is finally good again, everyone can watch. When they were racking up 100 losses, no one could watch.

:( Uncle Drayton was looking out for us. :(

6. bobrek

Incidentally, last night Ashby said that Tony Sipp was Luhnow's best pickup last season. I guess he forgot about McHugh.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Ashby forgets a lot of things. Or remembers and just chooses to ignore it. Don't miss that f**king cut off man though, Ashby is on that like a hawk.

1 person likes this.
  8. edwardc

edwardc Member

With Lowrie being hurt is this the time to bring up Correa.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It's more likely the time that Marwin gets regular starts and Villar or Fontana come up as the utility guy.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nah... at least wait till super-2.

(unless Carlos signs an unprecedented 10 year deal before he plays a single MLB game).

11. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a problem with RSSW. Now that the games are on my sleep time is going down. I'm exhausted this morning after staying up to finish the game last night.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep.... looking through the game thread, I see nothing but "gah! he struck out again!" type posts... yet very few mentions about his key walks last night that set up big innings (in addition to him being the 2nd most dangerous Astro on the base paths).

I agree the strikeouts suck, especially when there's a runner on third with less than 2 outs, and contact is key (and especially when he's swinging/missing at totally hittable pitches)... but other times a K isn't going to be much more harmful than a weak grounder or a pop-out (if you simply want him to make contact), and when there is LD contact as you highlighted above, its usually leading to something good.

In the end, he's still due to go on a major tear, along with Carter/Gattis... should be fun.

#172 Nick, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  13. bobrek

If Lowrie goes to the 15 day DL, i suspect there would definitely be a currently rostered guy brought up, most likely Villar. Going on the 60 day DL would provide a better opportunity for a non-roster guy.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I tried. Fell asleep around the 7th. Woke up on the couch just after it ended. I like the late games because I can watch a game totally in peace as the kids are in bed and the wife is usually off reading in another room. Plus it's better than most of what's on late night tv.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Yup...wife and I usually watch TV until about 9:30 or so, then she gets in bed and zones out until she goes to bed. Meanwhile, I have the living room to myself and no distractions.

Plus during playoff basketball, I can watch the Rockets first, then focus on the Astros. It's a nice 1-2 punch.

16. The Drake

The Drake Member

I'm legit bummed about Lowrie, hope it's nothing too serious :(

Is there a good chance we see Fontana over Villar if Lowrie has to hit the DL? Villar seemed like he was doing fine earlier this season, although bringing up a new guy is always intriguing.

17. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

I just found out he isn't on the 40 man so we probably won't see him.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

It doesn't help that 3 of the teams in our division are on the West Coast.

I miss our old NL Division.... :(

19. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

The NL West? :)

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well, if others are like me the frustration with Springer is more about what we know he can do based on last season. I couldn't watch them last year (stupid CSN-H) but I kept seeing the box scores and marveling at what George was doing as a rookie. So I was all amped up to watch him hit this year and he's looked as ineffectual as anyone I can remember up there. Swinging straight through fastballs down the middle that he was destroying last year. I know he'll pick it up eventually but it has been disappointing since that was perhaps the biggest thing I was looking forward to this season.