1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 27, 2015.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

We need to win the All Star game this year. Go Stros!

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

How nice is this team gonna look in a few months when Correa and Hamels are on it?

3. Mattician

Mattician Member

That was an awesome game.

4. red

red Contributing Member

i got to watch both hou games today and both wins. life is good.

5. the shark

the shark Member

My favorite stat.....9-2 on the road.....best in MLB :grin:

6. conquistador#11

not that i'm wanting this to happen, but how many players at correas position would have to accidentally get injured for correa to come up? 3?

:evil grin:

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Lowrie
    Gonzalez
    Villar
    Fontana

Nobody is blocking Correa, he will move as they see fit, no roster quandry is gonna dictate him coming up. Honestly if the SS position becomes dire I think they would try to find one on the scrap heap instead of calling Correa up before they are ready, or believe he is ready.

Springer over last 10 (.939 OPS)
    Carter over last 7 (1.084 OPS)
    Gattis over last 11 (.712 OPS) .209 BABIP

Everybody was freaking out about these 3 early, and unsurprisingly they are starting to hit. Gattis is hitting into some tough luck so far, but he's coming around.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Of those three, I was freaking out on Carter as he didn't look right early....thought he might be playing hurt and if so was it something that could affect him for the season.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Still only a .561 OPS. I'm still bothered. Maybe Carter just shouldn't play in April (lifetime .650 OPS in April)

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Is this the best team ever or the greatest team of all time? I'll hang up and listen.

11. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

Our 7-9 make the murder's row seem like falsely convicted pansy men.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

All these wins, and this isn't even our final form.

13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Fangraphs projected standings have the Mariners winning 7 more games the rest of the season than the Astros. Astros have a four game lead. Astros and Mariners play a four game set after the Padres.

There is a chance that the Astros are the favorite according to the Fangraphs Projection System for the division by Sunday...even with Fangraphs Projection System thinking the Astros will be a sub-.500 team the rest of the season.

14. awc713

awc713 Member

This. is. beautiful.

Two things that bother me, though, and perhaps I'm just being nit-picky:

1) Brian Smith of the Chronicle really pisses me off. The guy basically publicly urinated on the Astros for nearly a decade--never showing any support--and now has the audacity to tweet like he's been a fan through thick and thin.

It grinds my gears when "Astros haters" like Smith play it off like they're fans now that we're looking good. Screw off. We don't need you.

2) As a Houstonian I've grown quite accustomed to being shafted by national media. But for as much public disdain as the Astros have received, maybe more than any organization besides the Redskins, it'd be nice if they didn't just sweep this start under the rug.

We've had the hardest schedule to date, and were 1.5 GB of the best record in the MLB. We've flat out dominated, but all we get is a 15-second clip here and there. Altuve, Kuechel, and McHugh don't get the respect they'd be getting if they were in BOS, NY, or CHI, and maybe that's what ticks me off. Oh well, time to make them respect us.

GO STROS

15. Airdough

Airdough Member

This team might have some staying power. Virtually every time the Rockets have advanced past the first round of the playoffs, the Astros have at least had a winning record. If the current playoff format had also been in place, they would have had at least legit wild card aspirations as well.

One doesn't cause the other but both teams have tended to enjoy success at the same time.

16. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

This. Can't stand the guy. I still follow Levine as I think he was the best of the bunch we have had, but Smith was awful. He may feel "entitled" to s**t on the Astros since he covered a bad team... but come on man...

17. awc713

awc713 Member

Levine is great. I loved Footer too, both are still good follows. For the most part, we've been blessed with good baseball writers, although I've never been a fan of Drillich or McTaggart, both seem a little snide and condescending at times.

I hope ppl don't take my bashing on Smith the wrong way--I don't dislike all bandwagon fans. I welcome everyone to the Astros train...but if you've publicly shat on our organization, go cheer for the Rangers.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

What makes me mad, is I see articles about how the Cubs are suddenly unexpected contenders. The Astros, Mets, & Braves have been much more surprising than the Cubs.

1 person likes this.
  19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I really hope this leads to a packed MMP this weekend... no Rockets games, good weather, might as well go to the ballpark and support a first place team!

20. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

I gave up on the Chronicle years ago, especially for Astros coverage. Jose Ortiz is awful, Brian T. Smith is terrible, John McClain is insufferable, Drellich is horrible. The only one I'm OK with is Feigen and even he has his moments.

But the way these writers covered the Astros during the lean years has been disgusting. I'm not saying they shouldn't report what they see, but it's like they would go out of their way to say derogatory things. I don't need them to blow sunshine up my skirt, but the way they (especially Drellich) handled Appel throwing a pen, the Comcast fiasco, the Aiken situation, the losing, the way they would attack Crane...it just got to be too much.

I can't believe anyone actually pays for the online version of that rag.

1 person likes this.