1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Springer is going to strike out a ton.... and thus far, he's striking out more on pitches IN the zone than not.

He's also going to walk, steal bases, play stellar defense and hit HR's.

Be fully prepared to see a lot of bad with the good... but the good shouldn't be flat-out ignored or unmentioned either (especially in cases like last night where the walks/steals/runs had an impact on the win).

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You're not telling me anything I didn't already know, Nick. I'm trying to give you a reference point for why people might be more frustrated with him than, say, Carter. He gave us a sniff last season of greatness and those of us that couldn't watch wanted to experience that this year. Haven't seen it yet.

3. boozle222

boozle222 Contributing Member

My dad said this verbatim last night. Unable to watch the Astros last year, he has been dismayed at the strikeouts from Springer. He appreciates the walks and knows he can light up a box score, but seeing is believing. That being said, Springer was slow out of the major league box last year and has done everything but rip the cover off the ball (steals, defense, all around good person-ness). It will come around.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He was very similar to start last year... then had that tremendous hot streak... then got hurt.

There was stretches of "greatness" surrounded by a lot of what you see now, and that's likely going to replicated itself at some point this year, and possibly every year of his career.

Even at his BEST.... he's going to strike out a ton, so if you already know that going in, it should temper some of the "frustration" that you're seeing.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And if you believe the LD % that was posted above, Springer IS ripping the cover off the ball at an above average rate...

I can take the strikeouts when simply making contact doesn't guarantee a run (i.e. - 2 outs, runners on 1st, etc.), but it is frustrating when he's in a "need to not strikeout" situation, and the inevitable happens (hell, we saw a bunt attempt by him the other day).

6. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Agree to an extent. He's a high-K guy anyway and is still learning his way around the majors. But man...when he hits it, he hits it HARD. I love his stroke to CF and right-center. When Bags was really on, he crushed the ball to right center with regularity. I think Springer is showing signs of breaking out of the slump he's been in. The K's don't bother me that much....yet.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I see I see. So what you're saying is that the stretch of greatness that happened last year hasn't happened this year, which is exactly what I just said and what I'm trying to identify as why some of us might be more frustrated with him over others? I didn't say he wouldn't come around. I didn't say he was absolutely great all last season while he played. I'm extremely confused as to why you seem to be arguing with me.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because you're frustrated... implying you're being exposed to unwanted or unexpected results.

If you know he's going to bust out, or you know to expect K's, why the frustration then?

Springer is "frustrating"... till you acknowledge that right now, he is who he is (an imperfect player that hopefully can find other ways to contribute rather than simply judging him on whether or not he K's).

#188 Nick, Apr 28, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  9. Buck Turgidson

Ashby is a total assclown.

Remember the wailing and gnashing of teeth when he was fired last time?

10. Buck Turgidson

I haven't read back on the whole thread...did you see the chron article about him and his approach and management's suggestions and his tendency to overswing like a methhead and the extra cage work he's been putting in?

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It works out perfectly, especially tonight. Rockets at 7 and Stros at 9:15.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I'm admittedly fearing the worst here, but some small consolation:

Yadier Molina's thumb tear a year ago sounds very similar to what Lowrie described. He was expected to miss 8-to-12 weeks, but ended up returning after only six.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/84046344/cardinals-yadier-molina-out-8-12-weeks-with-thumb-injury

Six weeks without Lowrie would be bad, but somewhat manageable. Hopefully we get luckier than that, though.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Anyone else hear Luhnow on 790 this afternoon? Lowrie is back in Houston today for the MRI. Sounds like they're planning on a DL stint. Matt Thomas asked him about if Correa would be considered. Luhnow gave a long answer but never actually said "no". Though, he did point out that Correa only has about 75 ab's in AA, he also made it sound very likely that we will see Carlos this summer. He said that ideally they would see where he stands after a 2nd time through the Texas League.

14. Buck Turgidson

Makes sense. If Lowrie's out for extended time, you play Marwin/Villar for a couple of weeks and then they get Wally Pipp'd.

15. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If they plan on waiting out the Super Two deadline, then that's one thing

If not, then bring him up now

16. travfrancis

travfrancis Member

Gattis in LF for the first time. Margo in for Lowrie, as expected.

Tonight's lineup:
    2B Jose Altuve (R)
    3B Luis Valbuena (L)
    RF George Springer (R)
    LF Evan Gattis (R)
    CF Colby Rasmus (L)
    SS Marwin Gonzalez (S)
    1B Chris Carter (R)
    C Jason Castro (L)
    P R. Hernandez (R)

17. The Beard

I like Nick...he is a hard core Astros fan and anyone who loves this team is ok in my book!!

Having said that, Nick loves to argue...it used to bother me...but after a while I just understood that if you don't say the exact same thing he is saying, he wants to argue it

Don't take that personally Nick, you are a good dude....Just trying to let him know why he is being argued with :grin:

18. The Beard

Tough situation to get the bats in the lineup, I think in that park with that big OF though, i'd rather see our normal OF alignment. Of course after Marisnik missing a few games and then coming back for the last two, they may just want to give him a day off anyway.

Hernandez has been pretty good so far, gonna need him to show up again tonight!

Go Stros!

19. Buck Turgidson

In Petco of all places? That is certainly interesting.

20. Buck Turgidson

My body is ready.