1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jul 1, 2010.

1. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

And Sanchez with a hit!

2. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

And Feliz with the inning-ending weak groundball.

You can't put anything on him tonight though. Latos has owned our entire lineup... again.

Roy has done the same to the other side.

If you love pitching, this is your kind of game.

3. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Roy pulled after 98 pitches and a dominant performance.

Just saw Latos smack his helmet with his bat in the dugout so I guess he's getting pulled, too.

4. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I believe Latos is on a 150 inning cap this season.

5. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

When the trade rumors started, you would've thought that Roy would have plenty of time to take over the Astros win record with the way he was pitching, even with this offense.

That's starting to look more and more doubtful with each of his starts.

6. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I seem to recall hearing something to that effect earlier in the season. I have the TV on mute right now. Did they say that tonight?

7. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

I just read that JD said the Astros are Latos Intolerant. :grin:

Now that I think about it, he may have said that last time, too.

Either way, he does come up with the occasional gem.

8. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

And there goes the game in all likelihood.

Pesky Eckstein gets to Lyon.

9. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

If the Eckstein 2B wasn't enough, that surely did it.

Lyon and Byrdak have undone all of Roy's magic in a matter of minutes.

Oh well, at least Roy doesn't take the L and bounced back in superb fashion from his last outing.

10. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

And all the damage was done after 2 quick outs.

Oswalt: 7 IP, 3 H, 2 BB, 0 R
    Lyon/Byrdak: 1 IP, 3 H, 2 BB (1 IBB), 3 R

Roy only gave up 1 well hit ball on the night and it landed in Bourn's glove. The 3 H he did give up were of the soft variety, including one complete bloop. Both of his walks were after working 3-2 counts. One of them was to Adrian Gonzalez who took a couple of really tough pitches. Credit to him. Torrealba also took a borderline pitch.

11. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Astros lose 3-0.

The Padres were thrilled to see somebody other than Roy and took full advantage of it.

I asked somebody over at TCB why Roy got pulled after 98 pitches. This was his response:

"JD noted in the seventh inning that his tempo suddenly slowed down and speculated that he looked like something might be bothering him physically. Maybe Arnsberg noticed the same thing."

As a fan, we think maybe it's for trade reasons. It crossed my mind but I'm not sure that was a factor. Roy was dominating the Padres and didn't have more than 1 moderately stressful inning.

12. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Roy said he's fine in the postgame and that JD is looking to much into it.

Roy was due up 4th in the 8th but it looked like they had already made the decision to pull him before the start of the inning.

Either way, he was awesome.

13. Big Shot Bob

Big Shot Bob Member

Roy needs to string some more of these starts to up his trade value. Anyone want to guess how many more starts we see him in an Astros uni?

14. rockets934life

Great pitchers duel, Latos looks like the next big thing IMO. Wins/Losses are irrelevant for Roy as long as he gets that ERA down.

15. Bojangles

Bojangles Contributing Member

Roy having a classic Roy year once again. Hopefully it'll net us something at the trade deadline for both our sakes.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Member
    Supporting Member

This is just so awesomely absurd that it makes a nice punctuation for the season to date:

[rquoter]
    Blum injures elbow while getting dressed

SAN DIEGO -- Although Geoff Blum injured his right elbow in an unusual way on Thursday night, the impact of his injury is no less serious.

Blum felt a "pop" in his elbow while putting on his shirt following Thursday's contest against the Padres, according to manager Brad Mills. With the soreness continuing into Friday, Blum was evaluated at a local hospital where doctors found "loose bodies" in the elbow.

"He was putting on his shirt after the game, and his elbow goes, 'Boom, pop,' and it blows up on him," Mills said.

For now, Blum is listed as day-to-day, but prior to Friday's game, Mills said he expects Blum to miss at least a few days, and general manager Ed Wade indicated that Blum is a candidate for the disabled list.

"It's just wear and tear," Blum said. "There are probably 90 percent of us in the big leagues that have loose bodies floating around, it just so happens that after the game, it tightened up on me. The shirt had nothing to do with the [darn] injury."

The roster move that sent outfielder Jason Bourgeois to Triple-A Round Rock also has implications based on Blum's status. Should the club decide to place Blum on the 15-day DL, it could immediately bring Bourgeois back to the Majors, explained Wade.

"In the event of a DL, we can bring [Bourgeois] back at any point," Wade said. "So, he's actually not even scheduled to fly until [Sunday] and by then, we'll know more about Geoff's status."

Mills said the decision to send Bourgeios, who filled the fifth-outfielder role for the club, to the Minors was based more on needing an alternative in the infield while Blum is shut down, and playing with four outfielders on the roster presents less of a risk.

"It looks like we might not have [Blum] for maybe three, four, five days, so if we were to make the move with him, we would be down a middle infielder for four or five days," Mills said. "So we felt that we would rather go with four outfielders than not have a backup middle infielder."

Sanchez arrives; Bourgeois optioned

SAN DIEGO -- With the addition of newly acquired infielder Angel Sanchez, who came to the Astros in a trade with the Red Sox on Thursday, Houston optioned outfielder Jason Bourgeois to Triple-A Round Rock on Friday.

Sanchez was in the clubhouse prior to Friday's game against the Padres, and shook hands with several of his new teammates, while also being immediately inserted into the lineup at shortstop for the second of a four-game series.

The 27-year-old Sanchez spoke highly of a new opportunity after being dealt from the team that signed him as a free agent in January.

"It's a good feeling going to a new team, and I'm going to try to help the team out to win," Sanchez said. "I was really happy to try something new, and I'm just going to go from there."

While he only made one start for Boston this season, Sanchez expects to see more playing time with Houston. The versatile infielder has experience at third and second base, and is content playing wherever the team needs him.

"I'm going to play everything," Sanchez said. "A little bit of everything, and wherever they want to put me, I will be ready to play."

Manager Brad Mills observed that Sanchez was ready to play as soon as he arrived, and is eager to see more from the team's newest player.

"We're putting him in and see how he does and go from there," Mills said. "He came out and took early [batting practice] today and looked good, so we just thought we'd put him in and go from there."

The reports Mills and the club received on Sanchez emphasized his defense, but Mills also added that Sanchez should bring speed to the lineup as well.

"He's strong defensively," Mills said. "He can run a little bit, I think he adds a little bit of speed. He's supposed to be a strong defender, and we'll see. The Red Sox talked very highly of him. We'll see what we've got."

[/rquoter]

17. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Good job by Bud there to get out of the 6th. Real nice return to the rotation.

18. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

Pence tossed. Didn't see the entire AB. Don't know if he had a legit gripe or not.

19. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Member

This hit parade by CJ is pretty insane. Cautiously optimistic.

20. H-townhero

H-townhero Member

it wasn't a legit gripe really, pitch tracker showed it a strike in lower left end of strikezone, and up has been calling that pitch a strike all night.