1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 17, 2007.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So, let's see. The Astros were significantly closer to first place in this game than they were last Saturday night... and Lidge comes in in a one-run game and shuts the door, making the Padres look absolutely silly in the process. He's 4-for-4 on saves this week, most without even allowing a hit...

However, there's not the slightest mention of it here. Why? It's not a "big game" unless Lidge/the Astros lose. In that case, "everyone knew what would happen" because it "happens every time." Figures. :rolleyes:

2. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

I think most people do not consider it a "big game" because we're not playing our own division. Of course, every game is big to me. Props to Lidge and the entire bullpen tonight, pitching 4 1/3 innings of hitless baseball.

3. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Also, Chad Qualls sucks.

4. The Cat

I definitely respect where you're coming from. But the problem with the "most people" you're describing (definitely not talking about you) is that they completely ignored his two scoreless outings against the now first-place Cubs to start that homestand... and instead singled out one incredibly unlucky break and turned that into the biggest game in the history of the franchise, while acting as though the others were completely meaningless. It was ridiculous.

5. The Cat

Yep. Should've traded Qualls at the deadline for (insert mediocre outfielder who is hitting worse than Scott/Lamb).

Also, Tim Purpura is fat.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Cat,

I can tell you why there is no mention, most people have given up on the Astros for this year, they are a non event.

DD

7. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

because closers are invisible unless they blow the game... nature of the job.

8. deepellumrocket

Except that Eric Gagne was highly visible that year when he didn't blow any.

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Unfortunately, that is the truth.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Certainly doesn't stop people from pissing all over them when they lose, or if Lidge fails to perform.

And, by your above definition, this board is apparently more full of bandwagoners than ever.... only choosing to observe a winning team within 3 games of a pennant.

I'm just glad the division is playing out exactly like I thought it would... mediocre, and totally up for grabs. Had certain aspects of this team performed like they should of the entire year, this would be a more exciting time.

11. MiniMing

MiniMing Rookie

Well... I'm not giving up, we still have a month and a half of baseball left.

Anything can happen.

12. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

1-3 with a double. I can't wait to get this guy back.

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

if lidge had blown the save, this thread would be at least an extra page longer. that has nothing to do with the astros being a non-event and more with people being b****y.

14. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

The question is, how long will Oswalt and Lee be out? Sure, we've won the series against the Padres, but we're absolutely ****ed if either's going to miss significant time.

15. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

no kidding, how much would that suck to lose those guys for an extended amount of time when we start to get things rolling.

At least Pence will be back later this week

16. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

Oswalt has a left oblique muscle strain, that's what Lidge had and he was out a month. He could be done for the year.

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Except for about a week ago when apparently it was all different and Lidge's blown save meant he was finished as a closer.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

wow, i completely disagree. closers have been rock & roll baseball. wagner, hoffman, rivera, lidge...these guys get their "own song" to come out to. we look to the bullpen in the 8th to see them getting warmed up. their arrival in the game is anticipated. they're anything but invisible.

19. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

people like to b****.

just look at your post, cat's post, and nick's post b****ING about people b****ing....

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I disagree,

I don't think everyone is following them, and probably many don't realize they are still somewhat in this thing.

DD