1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Padres

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

All series talk goes in here. DO NOT GIVE PLAY-BY-PLAY! If you need PBP try Yahoo, ESPN, or Sportsline.

8-1 Andy Pettitte, LHP (9-11, 5.18) vs. Jake Peavy, RHP (5-10, 5.01) 9:05 on FSSW

8-2 Chris Sampson, RHP (1-0, 3.52) vs. Woody Williams, RHP (4-2, 3.69) 9:05 FSSW

8-3 Brandon Backe, RHP (1-1, 5.82) vs. Clay Hensley, RHP (6-8, 4.46) 2:35 on FSSW

#1 Castor27, Aug 1, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2006
  2. Kerfeld

Kerfeld Contributing Member

WWW. the run starts now...

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I'll be at all 3 games this week, so if this is the series they turn it around, you can all thank me! :)

WWW!!

If they play like they have been, its not my fault :)

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Looks like we lost Kerfield's prediction of a sweep...

I'm going to go WWL. We start making up a game a series. This is where it all gets turned around.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think Pettitte will have a good start, but he'll get bailed out by the offense. Sampson will continue his fine form & Backe will have a good start.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

YES!!! I'm in, too!!! :)

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

8-2 Chris Sampson, RHP (1-0, 3.52) vs. Woody Williams, RHP (4-2, 3.69) 9:05 FSSW

Sampson? Is Sampson taking Taylor Buchholz place? Is Buchholz hurt?

WLL

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

WWW it HAS to start hear. I hope that trading BS lights a fire under the teams a$$.

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Astros recall right-hander Sampson

Ensberg to begin rehab stint at Triple A Round Rock tonight

HOUSTON, TEXAS -- The Houston Astros announced today that the club has recalled right-handed pitcher Chris Sampson from Triple A Round Rock. To make room for Sampson on the 25-man roster, the club has optioned right-handed pitcher Taylor Buchholz to Round Rock. The club also announced that third baseman Morgan Ensberg will begin a rehab stint at Round Rock tonight. Both announcements were made by General Manager Tim Purpura.

Ensberg, 29, was placed on the 15-day Disabled list on July 10 with a right shoulder contusion. He is scheduled to make two rehab starts for the Express with the first tonight at The Dell Diamond in Round Rock vs. the Sacramento River Cats at 7:05 p.m. Ensberg will also start for the Express tomorrow vs. Sacramento (7:05 p.m.) after which his status will be evaluated. He is batting .241 (77x32) this season for the Astros with 19 home runs, 14 doubles and 44 RBI.

Sampson, 28, is 11-2 with a 2.62 ERA (31ER/106.2IP) in 17 starts for the Express, including two complete games. Sampson has struck out 53 while walking 14, and his 11 wins rank tied for second in the Pacific Coast League. In four Major League games for the Astros in 2006, he is 1-0 with a 3.52 ERA (6ER/15.1IP). Sampson recorded his firs big league win with seven shutout innings on June 7 against the Chicago Cubs. He will be in uniform for tonight's game at Minute Maid Park vs. the Arizona Diamondbacks.

Buchholz, 24, is 6-9 with a 5.96 ERA (72ER/108.2IP) in 20 games for the Astros this season, including 18 starts. He recorded his first career complete game on May 21, throwing a five-hit shutout against the Texas Rangers. This season, Buchholz ranks 10th in the National League in opponent batting average against at .248 and tied for second in most home runs allowed with 21.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

LLL

Yeah, we suck and did nothing to improve ourselves...Huff was it...splash...

11. MadMax

actually we added Huff and Clemens. if Huff were hitting like he was in the stretch leading up to the trade, i'd be happier about it.

12. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Huff was arguably the second biggest bat moved during the trading season (after Carlos Lee).

So, given the market, it was a splash.

13. RocketManJosh

Yeah I think he was third behind Abreu/Lee ... Also, I read on astros.com that they have Sampson listed, but it could also be Albers that gets the call tomorrow, so I think that might still be up in the air.

14. RocketManJosh

Has anyone heard anything about Berkman/Ensberg playing in this upcoming series?

15. Hakeem's Dream

Hakeem's Dream Contributing Member

WWW I have only like one Padre in my life and he was an Astro first. I can't talk bad about them because they treated him so good and loved him alot. I hope we kick their butts though, in a friendly rivalry thing.

16. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Astros are a bad team and they suck even more when they go on the west coast.

LLL

17. Buck Turgidson

Don't think they've made an official announcement on the Wed. starter, but maybe I missed it:

Right-hander Chris Sampson was called up in Buchholz's place, and he's one candidate for this outing. Matt Albers, who's made two appearances out of the bullpen since being called up from Double-A Corpus Christi, could also be manager Phil Garner's go-to guy. [from astros.com pitching probables]

Ensberg is supposedly rejoining the team tonight, no idea when he'll be activated. He's hit well at RR, but had 4 errors (3 throwing) in 3 games.

Palmeiro should rejoin the team tomorrow. They'll need to make 2 roster moves (Lane & ???)

Haven't heard any news about Berkman.

18. MadMax

Jim Rome says we're dead in the water, so I fully expect a sweep.

19. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

My Guess is Lane and Albers get sent down. LWL.

20. Jet Blast

Jet Blast Contributing Member

Come on Astros!!! Play like a champion!