1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official}Astros or former Astros named in Mitchell report

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

[Official] Saints @ Texans

Astros or former Astros named (hopefully this is a short list):

Roger Clemens

#1 Castor27, Nov 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  2. ThePrivate

ThePrivate Member

Roger Clemens Named in Mitchell report

Just reported on ESPN! :D

#2 ThePrivate, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2007
  3. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Somehow, not really that surprising...

4. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Bonds is a no brainer, but Roger just broke my heart. :confused:

5. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I edited the thread title and the first post, so we didn't have 50 thread of Player X named in Mitchell report. If there are Astros named we can discuss them in this thread.

6. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

This doesn't make me smile. I would have liked it if the Astros were completely untouched by this whole mess. Now, we're faced with (grudgingly) admitting that any games we won while Roger was pitching might have been the result of cheating. That's not a :D . That's a :( .

7. msn

msn Member

Selig's comments on his role in the Mitchell report, as quoted at epsn:[rquoter]"I haven't seen the report yet, but I'm proud I did it," Selig said, according to the Chicago Tribune. "People can say Bud was just trying to cover his butt or take care of his legacy or whatever. I say [expletive] it. This needed to be done, and now we've done it. I'm just happy it will be out there and we can move on. I'm proud of it."[/rquoter]

8. conquistador#11

even if he fooled my 12th grade ap art class into working on his backyard's waterfall, Roger is a good guy. Steroids will not make me think any less of him. I'm over him leaving us :)

9. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Who else do you guys think will be on the report? Didn't Grimsley say that both Roger and Andy were on roids?

10. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Good. Hopefully this means he will retire.

11. Nashvegas

Nashvegas Contributing Member

It will be interesting to see how he is portrayed in the media now if he is indeed on the list like ESPN is reporting.

McGwire got bashed, Barry's been bashed, I wonder if Roger is going to get the same treatment.

12. msn

msn Member

Since he already gets bashed, I'd expect nothing less.

13. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3153129

Source says information on Clemens will be in Mitchell's report

ESPN.com news services

Updated: December 13, 2007, 10:26 AM ET

Clemens May Be Named in Mitchell ReportA former New York Yankee strength trainer says information he supplied to the George Mitchell investigation regarding supplying Roger Clemens with steroids is included in the Mitchell report scheduled to be released later today, a source close to the trainer told ESPN The Magazine's Shaun Assael.

Brian McNamee, who worked for the Yankees and as a personal trainer for Clemens and Yankee teammates Andy Pettitte, also told investigators that on at least one occasion, Clemens was in possession of steroids from another supplier, the source said.

The source said McNamee told investigators he supplied Clemens with steroids while Clemens was witih the Yankees, and prior to Clemens joining the team.

Also, The Bergen (N.J.) Record, citing a baseball industry official, says "several" prominent Yankees will be named in the Mitchell report. The paper said the source spoke to a third party who had seen the final report.

"It's going to be a rough day in the Bronx," the paper quoted the source as saying.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig told the Chicago Tribune that he hadn't seen the report, but he was proud it is coming out.

"People can say Bud was just trying to cover his butt or take care of his legacy or whatever," Selig said, according to the Tribune. "I say [bleep] it. This needed to be done, and now we've done it. I'm just happy it will be out there and we can move on. I'm proud of it."

Scott Boras, who represents a number of high-profile players including Yankee third baseman Alex Rodriguez, told the Los Angeles Times he hadn't read the report. He did, however, say he's skeptical because "the concerns of due process and the standards that apply to it are relatively unknown. Certainly, any results that occur from the report have to be looked at in the light that this is not a collectively bargained effort."

"I'm going to assume that a lot of the basis for this is hearsay information," Boras said, according to the Times. "It's not based on any kind of clinical testing, so it is widely a product of hearsay testimony. Without clinical testing or hard evidence, any report like this has to be reviewed with great scrutiny."

14. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully, the lack of steroids in our clubhouse is what Roger meant when he commented that our team was'nt "committed to winning".

15. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This doesn't surprise me but it does hurt...Of course we're over Roger, but he did wear an Astros uni and that's what sux...

If we're speaking of near term athletes, then we can't worry about the past? We know Cammy did, but what about Bagwell? Any others you suspect? Maybe Redding? j/k...We all suspect Miggy, but we'll see...

I think its good to have the report, but now what? More stringent rules? As long as guys aren't doing it now, then maybe we can keep some integrity...

16. DoitDickau

DoitDickau Contributing Member

If clemens than Pettitte must be on there too? no?

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

tejada
    pettitte

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Not sure why people would be happy to hear this about Clemens. He's a guy who helped this club win a postseason series for the first time ever, and then helped take this club to the World Series for the first time ever. The two greatest postseasons in Astros history, by far, happened with him playing an integral role. He went to Spring High School. He went to San Jac. He went to UT. He's a Houstonian. Not only that, but he's got a personal services contract that means that he's going to continue to be a part of the Astros organization for a long time.

I for one appreciated the grit and fire that the man played with. Nobody worked harder, nobody took his job more seriously. He's a throwback pitcher who pitched inside and took the ball in the 15th inning against the Atlanta Braves and picked up the win in one of the most memorable Astro games of all time. Why would you want all that tainted with steroids?

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Really isn't that surprising. I just spoke with a close friend of mine who is a huge Clemens fan. Even he isn't surprised.

I'm just hoping and praying that I don't see one Jeff Bagwell in this report.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

LOL :D