1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 16, 2015.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

CRAP...what a steal that would've turned out to be. He would definitely be worth making a run at...not at $15m/yr but at least seeing what it would take.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

I'd consider spending that money on Zobrist if we're looking for a super-utility guy.

3. Major

Major Member

Agreed - Zobrist is a really intriguing player because of his ability to play anywhere needed. It's especially great with a team still bringing up prospects, because he can cover whatever spots that prospects fail (or when players get injured). I'd love to add Zobrist to this team.

4. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros already have Marwin and Lowrie to play super sub.

Ben Zobrist is a useful player, but I am not spending the amount of money it would take to sign him.

I agree with "Major", if we are going to spend money/assets, we need more than an marginal upgrade. We need a legitimate improvement with the bat.

That can be Stephen Vogt at catcher through trade (if you think his second half was a fluke), Justin Upton through free agency, Matt Wieters through free agency, Alex Gordon as a free agent.... or anyone else.

5. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I agree. The big money should be spent on the big upgrades. Besides, sometimes what seems like a mild upgrade ends up being none at all if the player regresses even a little bit.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Vogt had a breakout campaign at age 30, I'm definitely not interested in trading for him unless the cost is very small.

I wouldn't want to be the guy paying Wieters, Upton, or Gordon (I actually like Gordon, but he'll be 32 before the season starts).

I'd focus on the bullpen and 3B.

7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Maybe C and DH as well.

8. awc713

awc713 Member

Wonder when we'll see Bregman.

Seems like his hitting is advanced enough to make a late season appearance in 2016 if all goes well.

9. right1

right1 Member

After surveying the field a bit more, I feel even stronger that going "all in" on a trade for Jonathan Lucroy would be a tremendous move for the Astros. He was looking for a second extension from the Brewers in July, but they declined. He is a right handed hitting Catcher who plays good D and is durable. His offensive #'s are really great. A .300 avg. and a .370 obp..are you kidding? It would also allow Conger bot to stay as an emergency backup who plays only against RH starters for teams that don't run. Lucroy also can play 1B, is 29 and is looking to sign that extension deal. He seems like he would be a perfect clubhouse fit for this team. A Florida guy from the South. He could be our Catcher for the next 5-6 years of we get it done and offer the extension he wants.

10. HstnSprtsFan101

via rotoworld

Koren right-hander Seung-Hwan Oh is interested in a move to Major League Baseball and has informed his agents to explore contracts with big league clubs.
    The 33-year-old closer has dominated in both the Korean Baseball Organization and most recently with the Hanshin Tigers in Japan's Nippon Professional Baseball. He owns a career 1.81 ERA and 10.7 K/9 over 646 1/3 innings while converting 357 saves. Given the struggles of countless bullpens around the league, there are sure to be many clubs interested in the possibility of acquiring his services this winter.

could be an option as a closer for us.

11. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Wasn't it mentioned after the draft that they wanted to try him at catcher? or was that with another prospect? I recall them wanting to move someone there.

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Any idea what kind of pitcher he is? Really need a power arm or 2 in the pen. With the lack of power arms in the rotation outside of McCullers, I think one of the problems this season was that there was no one coming in that forced the hitters to adjust, speed wise.

13. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

At best he starts the year in AA...hard to imagine him finding his way to the ML next year on a good team. But I suppose there's always a shot.

14. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Tyler White is doing some catching in the Dominican League.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I just listed some of the names known to be available and players the Astros have been linked to. Gordon is interesting, he is a veteran bat and an exceptional fielder. While a good hitter, he isn't special. I think the Astros would have interest depending on the length and cost.

I think third base is their top priority, but they will probably be open minded.

16. awc713

awc713 Member

I could see us not signing anyone, letting Moran/Jed fight it out until Bregman is ready, then shift Correa to 3B.

17. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

All these people who think Correa is going to 3B. He has repeatedly said he wants to stay as SS. Honestly that is where his value lies as well. I think he stays there.

18. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

And Bregman???

19. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

2B? 3B? Trade?

You don't move a stud like Correa purely because you're hoping that someone else pans out down the line

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

To third or traded.