1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Kphorns14

Kphorns14 Member

Espada is in, so what’s next? Don’t think they do much in FA outside of bullpen arms. I think they extend Altuve by April. Probably a quiet offseason, not sure if that’s good or bad. Only attention making move they could make is through trade, and that would most likely have to be someone on the mlb roster.

raining threes likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Back up catcher, bullpen arm, Altuve extension. Anything else would be a big surprise.

No Worries and mikol13 like this.
  3. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Backup catcher simply must happen. I could actually see a trade for that spot, as they typically aren't too costly and the FA options are sparse and not thrilling.

This bullpen really needs 2 proven arms, but if at least 1 isn't brought in then it goes from a huge strength in 2022/2023 to a weakness due to lack of depth. A good starter could also move a current starter to the bullpen, thus strengthening it.

Other than that it's probably fine until the trade deadline. Make a big shot-in-the-arm type of move if needed unless there is a guy in AAA/AA who has amassed enough PAs to be likely MLB ready and has earned a chance. Someone like Barber, Corona, Leon, Melton, Loperfido, or Wagner hitting, or any number of pitchers who have the talent to surprise.

McCullers and Garcia also SHOULD hopefully have the effect of a mid season trade or call up too.

Potential grades:

F: no chance. Hiring Espada already makes this a D or better

D: the roster as it sits

C-: if only a catcher is brought in.

C: if a catcher and 1 good pitchers are brought in

B: if a catcher and 2 good pitchers are brought in.

A: if all those + 1 good position player is brought in. Preferably an OF/1B type who hits RHP well.

+ half a grade for each extension to Altuve, Bregman, Tucker, Framber, Chas, Pena, Diaz, and/or B. Abreu. (It would be more but has more 2025 impact than 2024)

BlindHog likes this.
  4. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

+ half a grade for each for each bad contract moved. There needs to be money available to go after a bat at mid season if needed.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think we should trade one of our very top CF prospects who looks to be a real game-changer for the franchise for Eddie Taubensee :)

Sorry, I couldn't help myself...that's what I think of every time I hear about trading for a backup catcher. PTSD!!

The Beard, Bregatron, Nook and 2 others like this.
  6. Screaming Fist

Am I reading it wrong? I thought the "Pitcher Stealing Runs" column incorporates the information of the other columns with 5 runs = 0.5 wins.

7. Screaming Fist

I hope they are able to find one good reliver out of Sousa, Mushinski, Melendez, and Tamarez. They need some help from their system on that front and the FO needs to do a better job of identifying and using those guys.

8. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree that would be worth + half grade each, but they don't really have many bad contracts and the ones they do are from players who are expected to contribute so would create an additional hole.

Even Montero would still be a loss of 50+ innings in the bullpen even if they aren't leverage ones. And RP are notoriously inconsistent so he could just as easily have a 2022 type of season.

Abreu, Montero, McCullers, and Graveman, a
    are the current Astros that have negative value based on expected WAR and salary remaining on contract.

Trading Abreu would leave 1 1/2 holes in the starting lineup instead of 1/2 and if he hits like he did after his I.L. stint then he is a positive, not negative.

McCullers would be a huge addition by subtraction for 2024, especially in the 1st half and/or if the rest of the expected rotation stays healthy. But if he can get healthy and pitch 140+ innings in 2025, he will be very valuable if/when Framber leaves.

Graveman is needed, reasonably affordable, and only on the books for 2024. It's 50/50 whether ditching him for this season would be a positive or negative. Maybe even 67/33 that it would be a negative.

The Astros simply don't have a Patrick Corbin or Giovanni Stanton type contract they can dump that will automatically make the team better.

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

DID SOMEBODY ORDER A WARTHOG?!?!?!

Jake Tower likes this.
  10. raining threes

This tells me that Crane probably needs to go over the tax line if he wants to hang with the Rangers. You know they're going to spend the money to win.

I could see Crane going over the tax line at the trade deadline.

Jake Tower likes this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I agree with this.

He probably walks the line by adding the needed pieces cheaply and then waits for the deadline.

If somebody like Meyers steps up like Chas did last year and Lance and Garcia return healthy then he may not need to add and go into the tax.

The bad part of the tax is the 2nd year penalties and I don't see them avoiding it in 2025 unless they let Altuve and Bregman go. Resigning only 1 of them saves $20-23M but arbitration raises will be more than that.

Crane probably wants to avoid the tax in 2024 so he can pay in 2025 with only moderate penalties.

12. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Dumping a bad contract or two is not intended to make the team better. It gives the team the ability to take advantage of opportunities as they arise and to add players mid season. Walking around with an empty wallet means you miss out on unexpected ways to improve throughout the season. Meanwhile Abreu gets older, McCullers continues to sit Montero and Graveman can be replaced from within for pennies on the dollar. All you get is opportunity that may or may not appear. None will be had without the wherewithal to take advantage if they do.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I understand everyone is hung up on payroll and what Brown said he is targeting ---- but it means close to nothing. Jim Crane will go beyond his stated budget if he wants to, and he has in the past spent more than he has said he would. So, it will take the right piece being available, but the Astros budget is written in pencil.

14. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I think signing Maldy as backup C is the first move.

15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Why spoil what is such a great day?

Signing Maldy is the single worse thing they could do to sabotage 2024 before it even starts.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Are you insane??

17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Whether you believe that will happen or not... fantastic troll job in this room.

18. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Drama much?

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/11/top-25-offseason-trade-candidates.html

Interesting they have Christian Vazquez on that list. I’m sure he’d be a great fit in Houston if the Twins ate some money. Montero for Vazquez in a contract swap?

Others Houston might be in on: Soto, Burnes, Glasnow, Cease, Verdugo, Grisham, Jimenez, Kepler, Arozarena, Morel, Robert, Brown, O’Neill, Yaz, McNeil, Harvey, Thomas, Santander, Barlow, Castellanos, Margot, Ramirez, Jansen, Perez

#1039 Snake Diggit, Nov 13, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2023
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

2023 Diaz
    2022 Pena
    2021 Garcia
    2020 Javier
    2019 Alvarez
    2017 Gurriel
    2016 Devenski
    2015 Correa
    2014 McHugh

Astros have had a ROY finalist in 9 of the last 10 years. Amazing. Plus, Framber Valdez was a rookie in 2018, he just hadn’t fully bloomed yet.