1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Buck Turgidson

My god, you're even complacent about your complacency!

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Who does one charge?

Asking for a friend.

Tomstro likes this.
  3. Qan

Qan Member

In a day? Probably 2 hours.

Stephen66 and lnchan like this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Brown’s comments really seem to be tamping down expectations. Taking him as his word, 24 spots are taken:
    C (1): Diaz
    IF (6): Abreu, Altuve, Pena, Bregman, Kessinger, Singleton/prospect
    OF (5): Tucker, Dubon, McCormick, Alvarez, Meyers
    SP (8): Verlander, Valdez, Brown, Javier, Urquidy, France, McCullers/prospect, Garcia/prospect
    RP (4): Pressly, Abreu, Montero, Graveman

It also sounds like he is very open to a OF prospect bumping Singleton or Kessinger off the roster and relegating Dubon back to the bench. Similarly it sounds like he is fine using internal options to bridge the gap in SP depth while Garcia and McCullers are out.

It also sounds like they are going to be opportunistic in monitoring the deep free agent starting pitching market for a SP they think can be a playoff starter. I suspect that if they go over the tax, it will be because they see a playoff caliber SP available that they can get at a bargain; Yariel Rodriguez might be that guy.

Otherwise, it looks like a true backup C (Caratini looks like the best fit) and a RP is all we will see.

One thought I had today is that the Astros could not guarantee that Neris would opt out, so I think it is very safe to say that Houston has at least $8M to spend in free agency.

All in all I am very comfortable with their plan. It just remains to be see which players they actually end up getting.

#964 Snake Diggit, Nov 9, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2023
    raining threes and No Worries like this.
  5. awc713

awc713 Member

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

From this plan:

1) Meyers or a prospect needs to step up and be productive vs RHP and start 100 or so games in the OF. It could be a guy like Barber or Loperfido, maybe even Melton. Clearly Brown wants to move prospects up faster - multiple levels each year which would mean any ( U S.) player could be in Houston his 2nd year if he performs.

2) This team could open the season with 25 guys currently in the organization. Backup catcher would be the 26th guy.

I like Higashioka. He is buried on the Yankees bench and in his last year of arbitration.

3) Clearly the organization is not sold on 4 playoff calibur starters among the current stable of options. My guess is that if they get a guy, it's someone like Giolitto, Severino, Maeda, etc who has top 3 rotation stuff and has done it before but coming off injury or poor performance and can be had on a high reward questionable risk "prove it" contract. I say questionable risk because several teams need multiple SP so there is high demand just like there is high supply. It may take a creative contract or extra guarantee to outbid someone.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  7. Qan

Qan Member

Good luck to him and them. I hope the Yankees sign him. That'll definitely stick it to the Astros.

ryan_98, The Beard, IBTL and 6 others like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

4-5 teams? Why not all 29, the way he’s talked about?

9. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

They can have him. lmfao.

10. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Yankees and Mariners fans in the comments saying the Astros gotta resign Maldonado :D

11. Pringles

Pringles Member

Maldy is perfect for a young and upcoming team. Not for title contenders, however.

12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

I remember Gerrit Cole clamoring the Yankees to acquire him several yrs back

No Worries and raining threes like this.
  13. lnchan

Supporting Member

On #4... we should have 4 playoff caliber rosters by the playoffs but no faith in having 4 serviceable starters the first 4 months...

The Beard likes this.
  14. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Last time maldonado was a FA he fired his agent, had to take a **** deal as a gift to his new agent, and then promptly got traded back to houston at the deadline for a bag of ****. I do not believe 4-5 teams have the slightest bit of interest in him but I sure as shot hope they do so that ushers in him GTFO of the organization. I don’t believe for a moment that will happen, but we will see I guess.

15. lnchan

Supporting Member

We gave up Tony Kemp to get him back. Kemp is still a serviceable player that we should sign this off season for depth...

16. Radricky

Radricky Member

Our big moves are going to be bringing madly back, shopping the bargain bin, and hiring a manager.
    Meanwhile the rangers are going to have another shopping spree

raining threes likes this.
  17. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He has clearly struggled without him in NY

I remember the good ole days, when results mattered

18. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

They don’t anymore. We used to be smart, now we aren’t.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Qan

Qan Member

They, Yankees, can make it right to Cole by signing Maldonado this winter.

raining threes and The Beard like this.
  20. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

The Giants are reportedly looking to shore up the team defense, improve CF, and get a veteran backup/insurance shortstop in case top prospect Marco Luciano doesn't start his big league career with a bang.

To me this looks like a perfect opportunity to trade Dubon in a deal for Yastrzemski.

In fact, Dubon looks to have more value so the Giants should throw in a prospect.

Dubon had 1.9 fWAR and 2.7 bWAR
    Yaz had 1.8 fWAR and 2.4 bWAR

to make this as unbiased as possible, let's use Dubon's 1.9 fWAR and Yaz's 2.4 bWAR for future projection.

Based on a study of arbitration salaries by Ben Clemens of Fangraphs:

Dubon should get:
    24: $1.86/WAR = $3.5M
    25: $2.66/WAR = $5.1M
    26: $4.19/WAR = $8.0M

Yaz:
    24: $2.66/WAR = $6.4M
    25: $4.19/WAR = $10.1M

Dubon: 5.7WAR is worth $45.6M and he is "scheduled" to make $16.6M giving him $29.0M in surplus value.

Yaz: 4.8WAR is worth $38.4M and he is "scheduled" to make $16.5M giving him $21.9M in surplus value.

That makes a 1 for 1 trade a +$7.1M in surplus value for the Giants. (in actuality it will likely be better for them because 2024 arbitration estimates Dubon $3.0M and Yaz $7.4M per Cots)

I still make this deal if I'm Brown because Yaz fills a need making the team better and Dubon, as a utility player, can be replaced with minimal negative impact.

This has gotten too long already so I'm not going to look at who but the Giants should add a prospect w/ $7-8M in surplus value to even the trade.

No Worries and Nook like this.