1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hypothetical/realistic 2024 opening day roster:

2B Altuve (extension: $140M/6 yrs running 2024-2028)
    3B Bregman
    DH Alvarez
    1B Abreu
    RF Tucker
    LF McCormick
    C Diaz
    CF Dubon
    SS Pena
    Bench: Kessinger, Victor Caratini ($12M/2yr), Singleton, Meyers

Rotation: Verlander, Valdez, Javier, Brown, Urquidy

Bullpen: France, Martinez, Bielak, Montero, Graveman, Matt Moore ($13M/2yr), Abreu, Pressly

IL: McCullers, Garcia

Optioned: Whitley, Dubin, Tamarez*, Blanco, Gage, Sousa, Mushinski, Salazar, Whitcomb*, Julks, Barber*, Corona*

I will be underwhelmed with that roster but it’s about what I expect. Astros have a weak farm and not much money to spend. They’ll have to be very creative/shrewd to make impact moves.

#41 Snake Diggit, Oct 24, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Bring back Brent Strom.

Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Especially when the bottom of the lineup is struggling so much already. Last postseason we got away with Maldy starting most of their games because guys like Chas and Pena played out of their minds, Bregman was huge, and Yuli flipped the switch after a terrible regular season. Even Altuve's disappearing act and the lack of a DH didn't matter with all those guys stepping up.

We didn't have that luxury this season and we knew that well before the playoffs started(which is why the Astros barely even made it into the postseason). Well, everyone but Dusty knew that.

everyday eddie and Jake Tower like this.
  4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

$8M is still only 3.4% of the CBT.

Graveman has high leverage "stuff" and has been a successful high leverage arm in the past.

Pitchers are risky. Relievers= 75% performance risk/25% injury risk, starters=75% injury risk/25% performance risk. At least relievers are cheaper and generally healthier

Once a pitcher who has MLB quality stuff is over 6 years of service time, that's just what they get paid.

I agree with Brown that it's a worthwhile gamble.

The best way to avoid this is to develop good bullpen arms every year to fill in as they hit 5-6 years and FA.

BlindHog likes this.
  5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Other thoughts entering the offseason:

I don’t view Pena as more valuable than Dubon, especially when you consider versatility. The free agent SS market is totally barren, so if a team out there wants to offer either a star MLB player (OF or SP) or several elite prospects for Pena, Houston should do that.

Several teams that have a glaring need for SP also don’t have much money to spend. So even though the free agent SP market is deep, Houston’s SP depth (Brown, Javier, France, Urquidy) could have a lot of trade value.

I am feeling really good about Kessinger as the backup IF. His defense has consistently looked very good and he hasn’t looked lost at the plate. He also seems to have a good attitude about his role and fit the culture.

This will be unpopular, but I want to see Singleton on the roster and get the at bats when Abreu or Alvarez needs a rest or when a pinch hit scenario comes up; he has an extremely high ceiling despite his age and he’s put together good at bats. It also helps that he doesn’t cost much and the other guys seem to like him.

CinematicFusion likes this.
  6. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Playoff Performances by Position Players (OPS)

The Good

Yordan Alvarez...1.487
    Jose Abreu............945
    Alex Bregman ......932
    Jose Altuve...........906

The Meh

Chas McCormick ..748
    Mauricio Dubon.....628 (.320 avg)

The Ugly

Pretty much everyone else, most notably

Michael Brantley...603
    Kyle Tucker...........517
    Jeremy Pena........463

https://www.espn.com/mlb/team/stats/_/name/hou/table/batting/sort/OPS/dir/desc

The idea that we only had a black hole In Maldy is just wrong.
    We had 3 or 4 on a nightly basis.

#46 jim1961, Oct 24, 2023
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Wasn't their a rumor that he left because he didn't get along with Dusty? He "retired" and then surprisingly signed with D-Backs 2 weeks later.

everyday eddie and ima_drummer2k like this.
  8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

He is a grandfather with family in Arizona... unless we move home games to... oh I am all for it now.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

In their four losses, Maldonado had two what I would deem "crucial" at-bats:
    - game 1, bottom of the 4th inning; bases loaded, 2 outs. He struck out.
    - game 7, bottom of the 2nd inning; runner on 2B; 2 outs. He struck out.

You can argue he's a vacuum, etc., and you're right, of course - but he was every bit as awful last postseason and never got in the way of them going 11-2. The bottom line of this series is that, for whatever reason, when the team needed a hit *at home*, the guys we actually expect to hit failed. Repeatedly.

GAME 1:
    - Yordan struck out with runners on 1B & 2B; 2 outs
    - Pena struck out with bases loaded; 1 out

GAME 2:
    - Bases loaded; no outs - Diaz & Altuve struck out; Bregman grounded out
    - McCormick strikes out with runner on 2B; 2 outs

GAME 6:
    - Abreu lines out with runners on 1B and 2B; 1 out
    - Tucker strikes out with runners on 1B and 2B; 2 outs
    - Abreu grounds out with runners on 1B and 2B; 2 outs
    - Rangers hit Maldonado, and Altuve, Brantley and Bregman go 1-2-3
    - Tucker hits into FC with runners on 1B and 2B; 0 outs
    - Brantley hits into a DP after Altuve single; 1 out
    - Dubon lines out with bases loaded; 1 out
    - Singleton strike out with bases loaded; 2 outs

GAME 7:
    - Brantley hits into a DP with runners on 1B and 3B; 1 out
    - Pena strikes out with runner on 2B; 1 out
    - Abreu grounds out with runner on 3B; 1 out
    - Brantley grounds out with runner on 3B; 2 outs

To watch *this* series and think the #9 hitter was the swing is just silly. Good hitters had AMPLE opportunities to break this series open and couldn't.

Mr.Scarface likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Once you got past the top four (Altuve, Bregman, Yordan, Abreu), we had 5 Maldonautoouts.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

well for Astros fans it was like a throwback to NL ball without the bunting

12. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

With Diaz replacing Maldonado, we can live with Pena's hitting at SS. CF is a concern to me, but hoping McCormick can put it together for a full season with Dubon being that ultra-utility guy. I think the lineup is set.

I've heard we are going to go after Josh Hader in the offseason. A back 3 of Hader, Abreu, and Pressly would lock down the late innings. I'd like LMJ to make the move to the bullpen when he comes back, but probably is unlikely.

Starting pitching is going to be what makes or breaks our season. If Verlander stays in form, and Framber gets a new psychologist, and we can get Javier back to where he needs to be consistently, this is a 100 win team. If the starters fall flat (Verlander shows his age, Framber stays a mental basket case, and Javier/France/Urquidy/etc struggle as they did some of this season), then next year could be a real struggle. It all comes down to our starting pitching IMO. I think there was a lot of Dusty induced tension in the locker room this year, and that can't be good for pitchers going out onto the mound.

ima_drummer2k likes this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I forgot to mention this in my novel.

If the run producer that is added can play 1B it will be a huge plus. Abreu needs 1-2 days off per week. I wish Yordan could play 1B.

Bellinger will be expensive and the history is a (minor) concern, but on the field he is perfect to fill the hole.

I also like: Nolan Jones (RF, LF, 1B), Riley Greene (CF), Lars Nootbar (CF, LF), Jack Suwinski (CF), Mackey Moniak (CF), and several young veterans from SF and TB but have no idea what price would be or if they would be available.

14. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I would argue Maldy wasn't quite as awful last postseason. He had a huge double in Game 1 of the ALCS that immediately tied the game after Bader's HR. And he got hit by the pitch that started the Game 6 rally that won them the World Series.

And the biggest reason for their 11-2 run in the 2022 playoffs was the pitching. They scored 8, 4, 1, 4, 3, 5, 6, 6, 5, 0, 5, 3, and 4 runs in their games last postseason. Not exactly a dominant offense. And BTW, those two 5 run performances were with Vazquez starting at catcher. With all their struggles at home this season and the pitching not being as great, they needed to maximize their at bats and score as many runs as possible.

No one should excuse so many other players in the lineup hitting poorly. But this season, they couldn't get away with the luxury of an automatic out like Maldy batting 9th. Dusty should've swallowed his pride and admitted that.

#54 count_dough-ku, Oct 24, 2023
  15. Radricky

Radricky Member

Even just a decent hitter in the 9 spot would make a big difference.
    I'm sure the other hitters were pressing thinking they had to get the job done because of the weak bottom of the order.

everyday eddie and Tomstro like this.
  16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

17. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Pena shouldn't be handed the starting SS next season. Maybe Dubon was a one-year wonder but give Dubon an equal chance to take over as starter during spring training. Pena would still get plenty of starts since Dubon is still an asset as a utility player. If they get another OF, that will limit Dubon's starts in the outfield.

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I don't necessarily agree with Pena not being the starter, but I would definitely start Chas more than him with Dubon staying on the infield where he belongs.

Pena starts 75-80% Dubon starts 20-25%

seemoreroyals likes this.
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think it is worth noting that the final 4 teams in the playoffs all had a catcher on their roster who was a very good hitter (JT Realmuto, Gabriel Moreno, Jonah Heim, Yainer Diaz). Bodes well for Houston next season.

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

This was not a WS-winning team. We all knew it. Pitching and Hitting were too inconsistent. They found a way to make it to the ALCS. A good offseason with the right choices can get them back to another ALCS next season.