1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

FWIW, Bregman and Tucker are all of that value.

2. Buck Turgidson

I'd say it's more of a "the MLB draft is a total crapshoot".... Bregman, Tucker and who?

But you're not wrong.

raining threes likes this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You forgot about Correa already?

Edit: Forgot Correa was 2012. If the would have started from 2010. We would look even better with Correa and Springer.

4. rockbox

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't want to act like Luhnow wasn't amazing at what he did, he was,but he had the number one pick 3 years in a row and the 5th pick in another year. A few impact players was to be expected from that group. In hindsight he probably got really lucky Aikens UCL was an issue.

Springer was actually here before Luhnow.

13 in 33 likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

It's even worse than that. Everyone else ( Korey Lee, JB Bukauskas, Daz Cameron, and Seth Beer) all have negative WAR in MLB. They are dragging the total down that is entirely Bregman and Tucker. The other guys haven't made it to the big leagues and include Whitley, Gilbert, and Matthews.

13 in 33 likes this.
  7. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

touché haha. I believe i have many moons ago in a “best baseball brawls” compilation on YT. And I Only remember because of Biggio getting into the fray lol

8. rockbox

I think people are missing something rather big from the graphic. Only about 50 percent of 1st round picks even reach the majors. The fact that we are closer to 70 percent and that 2 got MVP votes is pretty amazing. You add that with Correa, Springer, Altuve, Alvarez, and it looks even better. I'm not even including our success with pitchers.

raining threes likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The success rate of top 5 picks making the majors is substantially higher than 50/50.

10. rockbox

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

12. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

blackout restrictions follow local/regional rules. I get it because I live in LA and can thus watch all Astros games except when they play the Angels or Dodgers in LA- so they definitely blackout in the vicinity of a game. It’s free with T-_Mobile so worth it regardless if you already have TM.

13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Just from that graphic above 212 of 419 1st rd picks the last 10 years have made MLB. That's 50.6% but does not account for picks the last 2-4 years who are still in the minors, and aren't expected to be ready yet

And of course Whitley, lol.

14. rockbox

Of course. I'm just saying that even if you have high pics every year doesn't guarantee success. The annual bottom feeders prove that. You still need to make the right pick and develop them. The Astros has done a better job of that than anyone which is why we've had our sustained success even with guys like Correa and Springer leaving. Luhnow made the picks, trailblazed international scouting, and overhauled our development staff. Luhnow and Crane for letting him do his job should get most of the credit. Altuve being a unicorn should get the rest of the credit.

15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Honestly what does Luhlow have to do with this astros offseason? I double checked and turns out we are in 2024

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

there’s always one person trying to shutdown an interesting conversation. It’s relevant because Luhnow’s legacy is still felt both on the field and as a roadmap /blue print for future decisions. If you don’t think the current FO and most importantly Crane isnt still abiding by his initial plans and bible, than you aren’t on the level. As the data shows, the Astros have the highest WAR and is in the Top 3 of the most successful teams of the decade… crane and Luhnow created that - and there is still a lot to learn from that era going into the next decade

17. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Correct, Luhnow's rebuild started with a HOF, a CY Young winner, and a WS MVP. It also included an OF that has produced another 30 WAR in his career, though almost all of that was produced after Luhnow DFA'd him so he could play ****ing LJ Hoes.

18. raining threes

Everybody has misses, I'm just glad Luhnow built a dynasty.

His 3 big things were

1, Trading for Alvarez
    2. Getting Altuve/Bregs to sign extensions. I dont remember if he was the guy who signed Alvarez to an extension?
    3. Scouted the Caribbean for the undervalued pitching prospects.

19. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Click extended Yordan.

raining threes and JeeberD like this.
  20. Buck Turgidson

raining threes and Nook like this.