1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

There is no insult to an honest offer. Crane has been open and above board about his unwillingness to make a contract longer than five years. It is a legitimate limitation and is something that avoids unnecessary risk to the organization. To characterize that as insulting is below the belt argumentative commentary.

raining threes likes this.
  2. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

No.

3. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

How does a .721 ops as a 27 year old in AAA grab you?

4. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Hearing rumblings of the Rangers

5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Sure. Thats why I said Snell and Bellinger if you could get them both on 6/150 type contracts (which I think you could), trade Meyers, Urquidy and France to get off the salaries of Graveman, Montero and LMJ and the thing pays for itself, more or less, in year 1 and that is your Tucker and Framber replacement after 2025 (If Bregman walks which I suspect you’d be under CBT tax in 25). Unfortunately, Crane stopped taking my calls but this would be the greatest Astro juggernaught ever in 24, 25 would be freaking awesome too, especially if Dezenzo is good, and the rotation in 26 is Snell, Javier, Brown, Garcia and you still have room to bring back JV to chase 300 if he’s been effective or go out and sign another quality starting pitcher if guys like Whitley, Arenghetti and some others don’t develop as MOR type guys.

Stephen66 and raining threes like this.
  6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This is why it’s best not to get emotionally attached to any fringe prospect or recently promoted player that has a bit of success at first.

But it was a nice run when people were clamoring for him to get more AB’s during the 2022 World Series…

7. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Tucker has performed better than Bagwell in the postseason. Come on, now. We would not call Tucker clutch and not on par with the other franchise cornerstones, but let's not get carried away that losing him wouldn't hurt the Astros chances significantly.

lnchan, raining threes and 13 in 33 like this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Match made in Heaven

9. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Unlikely.

Bauer's best chance would be a playoff team who loses their ace for the season during ST.

10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

A player's worth is based on what someone is willing to pay and how it affects the teams in question.

If a team has personnel who can supply similar production at a fraction of the cost its probably not worth it. If they don't and his addition drastically improves the team then he is probably worth it.

He will get a huge offer from someone. For that kind of commitment, a WS appearance or better is likely required.

If he goes to the Dodgers, Yankees, Mets or Phillies is probably 2+ and at least 1 win maybe even 3 appearances and 2 wins.

A team like the Marlins or Pirates would likely be happy with an appearance.

As for the Astros it's more complicated. If they stop going to ALCS's then it was probably a mistake to let him go.

But until that happens fans will just keep thinking the team will continue to reload on the fly

11. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Bregman's slugging compared to Chapman is significantly helped by his batting average. When you look at their ISOs, Chapman is better and has been for a while. That is my whole point, if Chapman is somehow available next off-season and you could get him for a 2/3 or 3/4 of what it takes to resign Bregman, you are coming out ahead because at this point in their careers they are very similar players.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On who cares, People that bring up Bagwell and Tucker's postseason record, those that respond to it, and those who care enough to respond to it trying to show there isn't a reason to care about it.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

In 2021 his 874 Playoff OPS was second only to Yordan

He is a very streaky hitter so my guess is if he plays in the playoffs each of the next 8 years, it's gonna be a mixed bag like it has been so far

BMoney likes this.
  14. The Beard

Also very early in Tuckers career, so it's a tough situation to compare

15. The Beard

Lol, not trying to be argumentative at all

I'm just saying a guy that is likely expecting to get something around 10/300 could consider it an insult to get an offer of 5/140.

In the real mlb world that we live in right now, that wouldn't be an honest offer. It would be one that if Crane made, Crane himself would know it has no chance of being accepted. That's what i was responding to and why I said it could be considered insulting. Sheesh

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  16. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I view that as an insulting offer. Crane goes to the fans and says we offered him 30 a year and he didn’t take it, knowing it’s not even the basis to be considered.

The Beard likes this.
  17. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Chapman is a top 8-12 third baseman over the next 5 years so getting him as Bregman's replacement prevents the team from developing a hole in the lineup and roster.

So that would be about as good as the team could hope for if Alex doesn't come back, but signing him would all but guarantee he doesn't.

Alex is a top 4-6 third baseman for the next 5 years.

Chapman is a special defender and he gets extra base hits slughtly more than Alex but he is without question inferior at every other aspect of the game.

Both have been healthy and played 90+% of their teams games the last 2 seasons so let's compare those:

bWAR Alex 9.4, Matt 7.9
    fWAR Alex 9.8, Matt 7.7
    OB%: Alex .364, Matt .327
    BB%: Alex 13.0%, Matt 10.8%
    K%: Alex 11.9%, Matt 27.9%
    SLG Alex 447, Matt .429
    OPS+ Alex 127, Matt 112
    wRC+ Alex 131, Matt 114
    PA/R Alex 7.0, Matt 8.0
    PA/RBI Alex 7.2, Matt 9.2
    AB/XBH Alex 9.9, Matt 9.3
    AB/HR Alex 24.4 Matt 23.8

What really stands out is that Chapman strikes out nearly 2 1/2 times Alex.

Chapman would be a solid replacement, but every little thing nickel and diming a bit less means there will be a big reduction in overall production from 3B.

Stephen66, Wulaw Horn and lnchan like this.
  18. The Beard

Good post

I just wouldn’t want to spend whatever money we have available on him, but I’ve never been a big fan of high K low on base guys. The more on base guys you have in your lineup the tougher it is for the opposing pitcher to navigate

I would prefer the Giants sign Chapman and we make a trade for Davis

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Maldy has more career homers in the postseason despite half the number of years of making the postseason... and not advancing deeper in the 90s is kind of Bagwell's fault

20. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

They did temporarily fix Josh Hamilton...