1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

He is certainly the 24th or 25th if he is not the 26th. I would not expect just any prospect in return, I would demand at least a solid reliever plus a team top 15 prospect for him. I would be shocked if the Astros accepted less.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

We somehow were the first sub .500 team to get to the ALCS in the COVID year...

3. lnchan

Supporting Member

I rather win the season and postseason with natural development of players than "win the offseason" by impulse signings and trades

Screaming Fist and 13 in 33 like this.
  4. lnchan

Supporting Member

Ask Jeff Kent?

5. lnchan

Supporting Member

No more NBA style load management is the biggest change

6. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

If JV’s 2025 option vests and he takes the $35 mil player option & Bregman signs an extension/new deal for around the $30 mil he will earn this season it will put the Astros payroll around $200 mil next winter (before ARB) with only Kendall Graveman as a FA. Pressly’s mutual option would put the Astros around $215 mil…About 27 mil less than this years payroll that they most certainly would topple with Tucker, Valdez, etc in ARB.

If they wanna keep Bregman and not be in the luxury tax, I think best bet is to use the Ohtani model and backload the deal Atleast beyond the first year of the deal. Maybe 10-15 mil for next season should allow them to be under after ARB without giving up anyone.

Much better position in 2026. Bregman making $30 mil would put payroll at around $150 mil. Should have internal options developed to replace JV, J. Abreu, Montero, Pressly and Urquidy. Should have 60-70 mil in flexibilty to use on Tucker, Valdez and whoever else.

Wulaw Horn and Screaming Fist like this.
  7. the shark

the shark Member

If JV option vests his '25 luxury tax # is only 17 mil (Mets paying a large chunk of it).

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Forgot about that another 18 mil!

9. raining threes

I dont care how they win championships, I just want them to win championships.

ryan_98 likes this.
  10. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Kent is notorious for not getting along with anyone

11. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

That entire season was a FARCE. All should contain a HUGE asterisk.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Good call. Who could have known Graveman would go out for the year this early making Hader almost essential. I do think the return of Long relief (more than 1.1 innings) will return as injured starting pitchers return to a crowded rotation.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  13. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I know the players love it, but I HATE WBC!

raining threes likes this.
  14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I've got no issue with resting guys, espesially the older guys, to keep them fresh. How the OF was deployed last season was not load management.

15. lnchan

Supporting Member

If Hader replaces Graveman... we still have holes in the bullpen since we let Neris and Maton walk... and Stanek is not on the roster. We are top heavy, but how much do we trust who's left in the first half of the season before Garcia and McCullers are around?

16. lnchan

Supporting Member

The way Altuve was used was... but yet... I think Dusty somehow wore down Bregman and Abreu when an extra day of rest here and there would have helped.

Stephen66 likes this.
  17. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I approve of this article. Keep ponying up, Crane! :)

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  18. Screaming Fist

I know we had to do something last season to buoy the rotation, but man I think we are gonna really hate that JV deal as times moves on.

19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

With the Altuve extension and Graveman’s injury, Bregman is the only pending free agent on Houston’s roster (assuming Pressly and Verlander’s options get picked up)

Htown Legend and texans1095 like this.
  20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Im okay seeing who on the 40 man can fill those open mid relief spots if any of them can. There’s plenty of quality mid relief/late inning guys on 1yr deals on non contending teams to nab at the deadline. It’s the easiest thing to acquire at that time. I wouldn’t mind Stanek back on a 1yr deal, he still throws 98 and could bounce back to the elite guy he was his first year or two in Houston

Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.