1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

He dealt with most players well (i.e., they seemed to like him). Chas and Dusty did not seem to work well together and Chas seemed to be very fake in interviews this past season (e.g., "just do what's best for team" cliches instead of being a cocky little **** with the "I am Iron Man the centerfielder" like he was before). He did let the pitchers and Maldy to form a clique that made made it difficult for Dusty to play Diaz.

lnchan, Wulaw Horn and Stephen66 like this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Dusty is gone

Would be a better board if we would move on also

3. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I honestly think he played his favorites no matter what because he was set in his ways and obviously didn't get along with the front office. I understand why Chas was upset. Agree on the Maldy situation. That was terrible and it prevented a really good player from being in the lineup out of a weird loyalty to a player who should have been a bench coach.

4. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Agree

Jake Tower and The Beard like this.
  5. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Agree AFTER weve learned our lesson.

lnchan and GOATuve like this.
  6. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Unfortunately. To be fair we were forced into hiring him

7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

For me, it is going to take some baseball, for Dusty not to be praised, and for topics that are relevant to 2024 in which how things might change with Espada versus Dusty to be settled.

I think how DIaz, Chas, Meyers, and Alvarez will be utilized under Espada versus how they were utilized under Dusty is a relevant topic. Personally, how the Astros play platoon matchups this year is one of the more interesting topics to me besides adding Hader.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  8. Radricky

Radricky Member

I’m looking forward to watching this b**** choke in the post season

ryan_98, Stephen66 and AznH-TownFan like this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Dusty was so bad that he was good. What we needed is for him to be badder in order for all of the championships to belong to us.

note the sarcasm font.

Sarcasm off:

In 2022, the Astros won 106 games. That team was not a 106 win team. It just was not.

Going into the playoffs, we were not the best team, not even close. My opinion at the time was that we had a punchers chance since we had solid pitching.

We go on to win ... and the Astros who were screaming for Dusty's head the entire ****ing year were now saying that the team won despite Dusty. I am no baseball expert but those fans were likely dead wrong.

Astrofan59 likes this.
  11. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bingo!

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

Good for dubie
    He was amazing last year

13. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Dusty cost us a World Championship last year.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I suspect if Dubon will be traded next offseason. He will likely make ~$17M total over 2025-2026 and that’s money Houston will want to use elsewhere, especially because there should be another young player (Kessinger, Whitcomb, Leon) ready to assume his role without much dropoff. I think the same will be true for Urquidy.

15. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

Dubon has two of the three things I look for in a utility player. He has the glove and the arm but his bat leaves a lot to be desired. I believe his value is at its peak right now and would like to see him traded before the season begins.

16. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

We're not going to agree on Dusty. He's had a lot of talent everywhere and finally the Astros were able to overcome his terrible mananaging. We can agree to disagree

Stephen66, lnchan and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

18. The Beard

If they make it. I know everyone says Super Team Super Team

But their rotation could be awesome, but it could be big trouble too. The closest they have to a "Sure Thing" is Bobby Miller

everyone else either has a legit injury history, legit injury, or has never thrown a pitch in the big leagues

19. The Beard

Yea it's possible that no one on the team has more personally at stake this year than Urquidy

I mean I know a huge year for Bregman could mean a ton of extra dollars in free agency

But if we hadn't had such great pitching the last decade people who value how good Urquidy was a lot more I think. Before last years injury riddled season he had two full seasons and two partial ones all with era's in the 3's. He also did that regularly pitching into the 6th/7th inning. That's a profile that could collect a really nice payday.

20. The Beard

If we had someone we knew was ready to step into that role I would agree. But we really don't, and one of the spots he can play if needed is our biggest question mark among current everyday starters

Plus, it's not like we would get a big return for him. His value might be at it's highest, but he is still a guy who swings at everything and has very little power. A good utility guy and a good fit for us right now, but not overly valuable if on the market. I can't see any team out there saying "damn, we really need a Dubon to start for us"